Boston Crusaders Announce 2011 Program

ML23

Any mention to what selections they may use?

Music from obscure composers that nobody heard of who would be thrilled if somebody wanted to play their music.

The more obscure the composer, the better the chance nobody will have to pay them a dime to play the music that hardly anybody wanted to hear from them in the first place.

Why is Boston rehashing everything Phantom does? Bacchanalia, Paganini, 1812. Sounds like they have a program director who can't manage an independent thought.

another question too.... why did you select " Swine " as your poster name with so many other options out there ?

• Like 1

Les Mis was Cadets, man. :lol:

Actually, Boston played Les Mis in 1988, the year BEFORE Cadets performed it....

And, Boston played the Bacchanale in 1985, well before Phantom played it.....

I wouldn't accuse the programmers from either Cadets OR PR of not having any "independent thought"....

During the last 3 seasons, BAC has been going out of its way to program fan-friendly, enjoyable-to-the-public music, while also playing substantive literature. Sorry, but I cannot find a downside to this. The bottom line is that if you reach for the "recognizable, melodic" source material, this is a good chance that somebody somewhere has played it before. Since I know for a fact that Jay Kennedy is writing all these arrangments, I'm sure he will have a fresh take on all of the material. :ph34r:

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1

I agree - I'm not getting too nitpicky about the classical music Boston has chosen. And let's face it - Phantom's "classic" Bacchanale treatments were in 1990 and 1991. Boston playing it in 2009 is hardly ripping off the hot new trend, you know? If you go with DCI's own demographic data, half the kids in the corps were likely *born* in those years.

That'd be like in 1990 saying "wait, Phantom's ripping off the Moose Park Mooses - they played Bacchanale in 1972!" Spread's the same. Or saying in '72, "Kingsmen are ripping off X - they played it in 1954!"

Mike

• Like 1