What is the biggest challenge facing drum corps today?

Well why not? The customers go public with what they think of the "business." It goes BOTH ways.

and in business, the customer is always right.

or they take their money elsewhere.

• Like 1

New people being stubborn, old people being stubborn,

and in business, the customer is always right.

or they take their money elsewhere.

Exactly. The business graveyards of the World are filled with businesses that thought they knew what was better for the customer than what the customer did.

Edited by BRASSO

Exactly. The business graveyards of the World are filled with businesses that thought they knew better and more than the customer did.

Interesting timing as I was comparing DCI dealings between WC and OC with what happened with US automakers years ago. Automakers used to have a range of cars from entry level cheapies to luxery models (think GM going from Chevy to Caddie). Idea was new buyers would get a cheaper car from a maker and (if treated right) continue buying from tha manufacturer thru the years as they bought more expensive cars. Problem was US automakers changed from long term planning to short term "bottom line" thinking and concentrated on more expensive models (SUVs, etc) which have a bigger profit margin. Worked nice for a while but as entry level buyers started looking more and more at non-US makers for lack of choice, lot of those customers stayed with the non-US makers as they bought the more expensive autos. Just have to look at the cars on the road today for the results of that thinking.

For DCI, for years I've been reading about "top corps make the most money for DCI so DCI should only worry about those corps". Sounds good for the short term but what happens in the future as the "haves" might be the only corps left as the "have nots" have a harder and harder time surviving. Just look at all the effort spent on G-8/TOC for a 2011 example. Will Drum Corps end up like GM and have half of their nameplates disappear or be sold? OK, can't sell a corps so they would just go under too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Exactly. The business graveyards of the World are filled with businesses that thought they knew what was better for the customer than what the customer did.

Pablum. We say the "customer is always right" as if it's the 11th commandment, which it's not. The customer is right unless he's wrong; and he's often wrong. That's more accurate. Great businesses are built on anticipating the customer, on knowing THAT the customer IS wrong. As Henry Ford said: If I had listened to customers, I would have built a faster horse.

HH

Pablum. We say the "customer is always right" as if it's the 11th commandment, which it's not. The customer is right unless he's wrong; and he's often wrong. That's more accurate. Great businesses are built on anticipating the customer, on knowing THAT the customer IS wrong. As Henry Ford said: If I had listened to customers, I would have built a faster horse.

HH

Yep, they anticipated, re-invented.....marching band. WooHoo!

Yeah, but every customer is right at least once (when they buy your product).

HH

And Henry wanted to keep building Model Ts well after people quit buying them and moved past "basic transportation".....

In his case his biases kept him from improving his product and business. Ended up hurting the company in the mid/late 20s. Well... hurt the company in the long term also as people quit buying Fords and never returned....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And Henry wanted to keep building Model Ts well after people quit buying them and moved past "basic transportation".....

In his case his biases kept him from improving his product and business. Ended up hurting the company in the mid/late 20s. Well... hurt the company in the long term also as people quit buying Fords and never returned....

If only Mr. Ford pushed for his electric cars rather than the gas guzzling ones...

HH

Wow! You wouldn't be in business for long. I have been in retail for over 30 years now and have seen many many retailers fail because they didn't recognize what the customer wanted and that the custome IS ALWAYS right; first and foremost. It isn't the 11th commandment; in retail, it's the first commandment. And don't think DCI isn't a retailer; they are selling a unique form of entertainment to a very limmited market base, although sometimes they aren't very entertaining. As a customer, I want to be entertained. I want recognizable music. I want MEMORABLE music and I want memorable creative drill design and spectacular effects. And I want it of high quality and clean. If I don't get what I want or if the value of what I get is not meeting my demands or expectations, I'll stop going to shows. Overall it is getting close to not meeting my expectations.

• Like 4