Live or Fade Away

Stu

actually, the first show I saw was the US Open in 1977...

that's like saying season 7 episode 1 of American Idol is the same as season 7 episode 8 of American Idol...same title...different show. Are you gonna say that Spartacus 81 is the same show as Spartacus 08? :blink:

No, but the years THAT I ACTUALLY MENTIONED, the shows were pretty much the same, with a few minor differences. Usually a song added or deleted, and the visual changed around, or in the case of SCV, the guard changed. Besides that, these shows were pretty darn close to the same show repeated, so yeah, if you've been around since 77, you've seen some repeats, and it was even common practice back then to repeat large chunks of shows in consecutive years.

• Like 2

Mic'd narrative -- It came from the H.S. and collegiate Marching Band world. The members who play those instruments in HS/College pay money for tuition to play these instruments, kind of like the drumline. Seldom does a corps director have to worry about the positions where a plethora of people can do the job well. Competition again. It breeds people who WILL pay the tuition. Take euphoniums... on the other end. Corps directors get very excited when a talented euph player walks into camp the first day with a big check. It's harder to cut a euph, that's all I am saying.

I'm confused. Your question to skewerz was: which electronics have driven away audience members? One of his answers was amplified narration -- and you seem to be replying with a claim that drum corps have added narration because they're making more from the fees of members who narrate than they're losing from audience members who are turned off by narration. Likewise for other electronica. Am I reading you correctly?

And since most of the amplified narrators I've heard haven't been very good speakers (I would list only Bluecoats '07 and Crown '07 as well done), I'm especially confused by the claim that there is fierce competition for those duties!

Amp'd pits when they are horribly overbearing (which is often) --- Ah, you sit too close. Or the stands are too small.

You're being sarcastic, right, in blaming the audience members for a corps' poor sound? Because if not, either those seats shouldn't be sold, or those venues not performed in. Or is this further justification for having the volume levels of the pit (because the players are apparently incompetent in this regard, compared to the brass and battery) not only amplified but controlled by someone in the stands?

• Like 2

mic'd narrative - it came from the HS and Collegiate Marching Band world. The members who play those instruments in HS/College pay money for tuition to play these instruments, kind of like the drumline. Seldom does a corps director have to worry about the positions where a plethora of people can do the job well. Competition again. It breeds people who WILL pay the tuition. Take euphoniums...on the other end. Corps directors get very excited when a talented euph player walks into camp the first day with a big check. It's harder to cut a euph, that's all I am saying.

synths - Same as above

guitars - Even more same as above

bass guitars - Even more than guitars

amp'd pits when they are horribly overbearing (which is often) - ah, you sit too close. Or the stands are too small. But, not everyone. Some corps are notorious for overdriving the pit volume. I hate that too.

huh? what does this have to do with these items driving away fan base?

for the bolded part, this is a referral to Lucas Stadium, and I was sitting 2 rows below DeLucia and Rondinaro on the 50...if that's not close to the optimum spot to be in, then I don't know one.

You know, I'm kind of tired of this electronics debate.

You're telling me that people wont go to a show because of, "Oh no! He/She played that keyboard. I automatically don't like this show now."

For myself it's more like muttering "Wish they'd quit playing that #### synth and shut the #### up so I can hear the horns and drums". Think of going to a movie and there is a distracting noise or people talking nearby.

Things that I will openly admit about electronics -

Things I could care less for:

I didn't like the Cadets, Bluecoats, and Blue Knights "string moments"

Things I thought that electronics were useful for:

Sound effects...Crown, Cavies, and BD all had meaningful sound effects that (Personally) I thought were essential for the effect of their shows.

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 1

No, but the years THAT I ACTUALLY MENTIONED, the shows were pretty much the same, with a few minor differences. Usually a song added or deleted, and the visual changed around, or in the case of SCV, the guard changed. Besides that, these shows were pretty darn close to the same show repeated, so yeah, if you've been around since 77, you've seen some repeats, and it was even common practice back then to repeat large chunks of shows in consecutive years.

In fact to further this point when I was in BD in 1981 we played You Gotta Try... Same opener from the previous year. In 1982 we brought back Pegasus from 1980 and of course although there were a few changes from year to year we played OMTCC 1981, 1982 and 1983!

Selective memory does not help your case... :shutup:

I understand doing a special revival (The Cavaliers Planets ten years apart or Regiment Spartacus twenty plus years apart); but what is the "fan retention" value of repeating charts back to back? How does that help retain fans? How does it help gain more fans? Or is it just one of pure maximizing the competitive nature of a show with no regard to fans?

In fact to further this point when I was in BD in 1981 we played You Gotta Try... Same opener from the previous year. In 1982 we brought back Pegasus from 1980 and of course although there were a few changes from year to year we played OMTCC 1981, 1982 and 1983!

Selective memory does not help your case... :shutup:

the original statement

I'd probably get bored of seeing the same old show year after year.

taken from the context, my interpretation is that all corps would be performing the same old show year after year, meaning stylistically. Not the same exact show. Furthermore, even the shows that were mentioned were not the same shows. Some of the music was the same. Some of it wasn't. There were different kids marching the shows...different drill...

sure they were similar, but they weren't the same, and it's not like all the corps did it...I don't consider a show a decade from the original to be the same...so, 3 times? in how many shows? 30 years times # world class corps...less than 1%

• Like 1

I understand doing a special revival (The Cavaliers Planets ten years apart or Regiment Spartacus twenty plus years apart); but what is the "fan retention" value of repeating charts back to back? How does that help retain fans? How does it help gain more fans? Or is it just one of pure maximizing the competitive nature of a show with no regard to fans?

As mentioned before, this has happened a whole 3 times in the last 30 years, and I don't even know if the books are the same. I know some of the songs are different. I know some of the drill is different.

You know, I'm kind of tired of this electronics debate.

You're telling me that people wont go to a show because of, "Oh no! He/She played that keyboard. I automatically don't like this show now."

It's all about the sounds for me.

• Like 1