Cadets Uniform

I'll wait to see the uniform before passing final judgment, but I'm not excited about this at all.

Mostly because wearing that uniform is a pretty big deal for a lot of people. It's part of being a Cadet. I'm mostly sad that people who have dreamed of wearing the uniform will be missing out on that opportunity.

On top of that, one of my favorite things is watching the block coming on the field, and it just isn't the same without the uniform.

If the changes are something along the lines of 2005 it won't be a big deal to me, it's the same basic uniform concept with a twist, but a dramatic change would be very disappointing.

• Like 3

apparently I get down-voted for suggesting that the corps director should explain to his corps why he made the decisions he did...

edit: you can't have a successful summer without focused members. If a decision that a corps make negatively affects the members in the short term, I would think the corps leadership would want to step in and reassure the members that the leadership is looking out for them and things will workout excellently in the end.

Ummm, you probably got "down-voted" for that suggesting that because it already happened which is the basis of this thread.

Just a thought. :doh:

• Like 3

Just like drum corps finally caught up to marching bands of the 80's by adding electronics...

Is that catching up, or falling down?

• Like 2

I'll wait to see the uniform before passing final judgment, but I'm not excited about this at all.

Mostly because wearing that uniform is a pretty big deal for a lot of people. It's part of being a Cadet. I'm mostly sad that people who have dreamed of wearing the uniform will be missing out on that opportunity.

On top of that, one of my favorite things is watching the block coming on the field, and it just isn't the same without the uniform.

If the changes are something along the lines of 2005 it won't be a big deal to me, it's the same basic uniform concept with a twist, but a dramatic change would be very disappointing.

When I joined The Cavaliers in 1975, the corps had the same uniform it had since the very early 1950s. In 1976, it totally changed, with an added vest, a floppy hat instead of a shako, and a buckle over the chest instead of over the belt.

It was such a traumatic event for everyone that when we got the new uniform in May at a camp at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, the corps folded and hasn't been heard from since.

Oh, wait a moment...I'm confusing the corps with the end of the ABC series, "Marcus Welby, MD" the same month.

• Like 5

When I joined The Cavaliers in 1975, the corps had the same uniform it had since the very early 1950s. In 1976, it totally changed, with an added vest, a floppy hat instead of a shako, and a buckle over the chest instead of over the belt.

It was such a traumatic event for everyone that when we got the new uniform in May at a camp at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, the corps folded and hasn't been heard from since.

Oh, wait a moment...I'm confusing the corps with the end of the ABC series, "Marcus Welby, MD" the same month.

Surely you exaggerate. Marcus Welby, M.D. had only been on the air for six years.

But I admit I never liked Robert Young in green.

I don't see how that statement can't be said even today. The Cadets have always respected their roots. Does anyone honestly doubt the corps doesn't respect their history and tradition because someone has now said they have "changed" the uniform for 2011?

As recently as 2009 they celebrated their 75th anniversary with a show that every Alumni could have proud of. Playing WEST SIDE STORY a cadet classic! And everything about that show was in tribute to its 75 years of history. ...2010? They did a show all about their uniform!! They literally said "hey, our uniform looks like toy soldiers... let's do a show about OUR uniform!! The drill imagery in the ballad reflected the eagle on their shako! They did classic old school drill moves. For goodness sake... as recently as 2 years ago the cadets were ALL about the Uniform and TRadition...

And now people are saying that the cadets don't care about their history and tradition because of a "change" to the uniform just for this season alone? I don't buy it... not a single bit.

Well, i'l sum up the words of another alumnus i spoke to today:

"the corps was cutting edge and reinvented drum corps in those uniforms. why can't they do it again? Remember, first we zigged, then everybody zigged...then we zagged".

Well, now, it seems instead of being the leaders, they have become followers

• Like 4

With all due respect to those alumni that "cursed for an hour"... I think they are forgetting the cadets two latest offerings... Changed everything? really? All I saw from the cadets the passed two years was tradition up the wazoo.

Why be melodramatic? taken away? I never heard anyone talking about "replacing" the uniform forever. We don't know how much it will look similar to the original this season.. and we should always be reminded that IS for only ONE season.

Of course it means a lot to a lot of people. It means a whole lot to George too and the Cadets organization. They have proven how much it means... Do people think that a decision to change anything on the uniform is an easy one to make? It was probably a difficult decision and risk, however one that was probably made for the grander scheme of their 2011 program to entertain the audience in a new way. Isn't that what the cadets are known for? Tradition & Innovation?

in 09 I'd agree on tradition, not so much in 2010. that's IMO. melodramatic? hey man, these are people that shed blood sweat and tears in those uniforms. they have a right to feel that way.

again as I said before...if alumni are really ######, and shut their pocketbooks, they'll know they made a decision. But as Crossmen have learned since 1997, once you #### off alumni enough, eventually, they'll stop caring

• Like 1

I really don't think that most posting here understand why some of us are so upset.

Let me try and provide a scenario that might give those of you that don't fully understand the attachment some of us have for our iconic traditional West Point uniform.

The Cavaliers administration has just announced that they will be allowing females to march this year then go back to all male next year.

Are those of you on your soapbox going to tell Cavalier Alumni to "Get over it."?

You going to tell them to "Wait and see before making up your mind."?

You going to tell them "It's no big deal."?

You going to tell them "Drum Corps shows have changed and you're limiting your shows potential by being all male."?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

That scenario, while flawed, hopefully will give some of you an idea of the magnitude of what we're feeling.

It's not JUST a uniform to some of us.

• Like 1

I understand these are the finalists. Colors and logos will be adjusted to be more Cadets specific.

queen-elizabeth-in-a-mcdonalds-uniform.jpg6113-01-Blue-Wacky-Wiggler-Costume-large.jpgweird_sky_outfit.t_250.jpg2052916996_89f356978e.jpgswiss.jpgcampos1.jpg

looks like WGi guard finals

:ph34r:

• Like 1

According to a Garfield Cadets alumnus: "In order to compliment this year's Angels in the Architecture 'concept', the Cadets will have 1/2 the corps in RED uniforms/costumes and the other 1/2 in WHITE uniforms/costumes......."

I think it is a sad mistake. The corps might as well get rid of the corps name and logo and call themselves something like, "Allentown Keystone Sound".

for the record, you pretty much said what 3 alumni said to me.

• Like 1