Cadets Uniform

No you are not crazy. I had already decided to boyctt the G-8 (Greedy Eight) shows this year. The

only thing that has been a constant through the years has been their uniforms. And now that's gone.

You're right. The amazing experience had by members of the corps, the pride they carry with them, and the lifelong lessons they learn have just been ALL OVER the place, haven't they?

To all of you who are just totally missing the big picture, here's to you:

:thumbdown:

Get over their old costume and pass judgement on the new when it is made available.

• Like 6

You're right. The amazing experience had by members of the corps, the pride they carry with them, and the lifelong lessons they learn have just been ALL OVER the place, haven't they?

To all of you who are just totally missing the big picture, here's to you:

:thumbdown:

Get over their old costume and pass judgement on the new when it is made available.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I go to a Drum Corps show I don't go to watch " the pride they carry with them.. the lifelong lessons they are learning", and so forth. I presume that these intangibles will go with them. What I'm left with is what their show is like for me and the others I go with to the show. The Corps show designer is not interested in what " life long lessons" I take away from his or hers Corps show. Nor should he or she. It's Drum Corps. It's all for show. As it should be.

That said, I agree with you that the startling revelation that The Cadets might change their uniforms for this year shouldn't give fans an eye twitch. It's barely friggin March here. Lets just see what the duds are that The Cadets ultimately will wear this year before calling down the thunderbolts to smite them all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

I totally agree with you. In the end, no matter what the 2011 uniform is, it's going to be a lot closer to this

holy-name-cadets-2009a.jpg

Well I don't care what color the uniforms are, but if they look as good as this guy does, I'll be happy.

• Like 2

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I go to a Drum Corps show I don't go to watch " the pride they carry with them.. the lifelong lessons they are learning", and so forth. I presume that these intangibles will go with them. What I'm left with is what their show is like for me and the others I go with to the show. The Corps show designer is not interested in what " life long lessons" I take away from his or hers Corps show. Nor should he or she. It's Drum Corps. It's all for show. As it should be.

That said, I agree with you that the startling revelation that The Cadets might change their uniforms for this year shouldn't give fans an eye twitch. It's barely friggin March here. Lets just see what the duds are that The Cadets ultimately will wear this year before calling down the thunderbolts to smite them all.

I didn't speak to what their performative value is. I agree that the product on the field stands for itself though I personally get a kick out of understanding how it gets out on the field in the first place.

That poster claimed that everything that was consistent about the Cadets was gone because the uniform changed. I named a few things that haven't changed and probably won't ever change - things more important than the uniform itself.

• Like 1

Anyway, it is a uniform... which, in general, seem a bit awkward in the context of current drum corps. The speed, type and planes of movement that performers are currently executing feels a bit stifled and .... well... square given the limitations of the uniform and shako.

Actually, since the movement of a musician while playing in formation is a bit stifled and square to begin with, the uniform/shako thing is fitting.

Add to that you are forcing some static, external concept into a creative program (imagine going to a broadway production and 2/3 of the cast are all wearing matching three piece suits and mexican sombreros - regardless of the production - while 1/3 are wearing costumes actually relevant to the program). It is just kind of weird.

Winterguard realized this ages decades ago and made the change. Just like drum corps finally caught up to marching bands of the 80's by adding electronics, we can only hope that drum corps will catch up to early 80's winterguard sometime soon.

Actually, that concept is not new to drum corps....just ask '96 VK, or Jersey Surf 2002-2004. It is more difficult, though, when you need 80 or more such costumes.

apparently I get down-voted for suggesting that the corps director should explain to his corps why he made the decisions he did...

edit: you can't have a successful summer without focused members. If a decision that a corps make negatively affects the members in the short term, I would think the corps leadership would want to step in and reassure the members that the leadership is looking out for them and things will workout excellently in the end.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

apparently I get down-voted for suggesting that the corps director should explain to his corps why he made the decisions he did...

edit: you can't have a successful summer without focused members. If a decision that a corps make negatively affects the members in the short term, I would think the corps leadership would want to step in and reassure the members that the leadership is looking out for them and things will workout excellently in the end.

2 Greens fom me!

Do you know that he hasn't?

• Like 3

it's not that he has to make the alumni happy all the time...it's that he tried to hide it from them.

Didn't Justin from YEA! go in person to the alumni meeting and tell them about this? How is that hiding anything? IMO an in-person discussion is better than a tweet or Facebook note.

• Like 1