Cadets2

I think you over estimate how NE shows pay without certain names attached

exactly,.............and only the 10 ten get a guarenteed minimum, which ain't much, many negotiate home on home appearances, which means no pay............ALL others have to negotiate a fee with the show sponsors,...........and believe me, most parades pay better than what the sponsors can afford to pay.........really

exactly,.............and only the 10 ten get a guarenteed minimum, which ain't much, many negotiate home on home appearances, which means no pay............ALL others have to negotiate a fee with the show sponsors,...........and believe me, most parades pay better than what the sponsors can afford to pay.........really

That sucks.

That sucks.

and that's why it's so critical that we put more fannies in the seats...

However, it should not be lost in any discussion of corps fee for shows, that in addition to what the sponsor gives the corps, they get a share point towards the distribution of the DCA proceeds for each show they are in...

and that's why it's so critical that we put more fannies in the seats...

However, it should not be lost in any discussion of corps fee for shows, that in addition to what the sponsor gives the corps, they get a share point towards the distribution of the DCA proceeds for each show they are in...

YES, and that is a big differance from other circuits. It may not be a Lot of money. BUT, Everyone (Corps) get something that Compete's.!

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Sure the DCA stadium is full, but it's a small stadium. Yes the circuit attracts SOME people from around the country, but nothing compared to DCI, WGI, or even BOA. Your assertions in regards to DCA's influence are inflated. Nothing NEW happens at DCA, it's all a rehashing of tunes and concepts that have already been done in the activity. New music is RARELY IF EVER heard in DCA, and new concepts and techniques are out of the question.

It's quite a culture shock when you sit on a DCA corps design team, and you're told, "now we can't think too far out of the box, because it won't play well at DCA", as opposed to when you're sitting on a WGI group design team, and you're told "What can we do that's NEVER been done before". As a composer, as an educator, and as someone who enjoys being TRULY creative, that is the most exciting process.

funny, I've seen and heard lots of new tunes in DCA never done before.

ah why let the facts get in the way of a great myth. and when it comes to going boldly where no one has ever gone before, you realize most WGI and BOA units get more rehearsal time per week than DCA corps do right? There's only so much groundbreaking you can do on just Saturday and maybe Sunday. Plus, I'll look at it one slightly different way...DCA is more in tune with what it's paying fans want. Maybe they're in smaller stadiums for finals, but full looks a hell of a lot better than what I saw in Indy last year

• Like 1

funny, I've seen and heard lots of new tunes in DCA never done before.

Like what? Please tell me what tunes DCA corps have played that no other corps has played.

ah why let the facts get in the way of a great myth. and when it comes to going boldly where no one has ever gone before, you realize most WGI and BOA units get more rehearsal time per week than DCA corps do right?

What winter groups have you been watching? Most WGI groups only practice on the weekends, and only from October to April (as opposed to December through September like most DCA groups). Stop trying to make excuses. The difference stems from the design process and goals, not the rehearsal time.

There's only so much groundbreaking you can do on just Saturday and maybe Sunday. Plus, I'll look at it one slightly different way...DCA is more in tune with what it's paying fans want. Maybe they're in smaller stadiums for finals, but full looks a hell of a lot better than what I saw in Indy last year

You can spin it any way you want...but there are MORE people at DCI Finals, and WGI finals across both weekends, than attend DCA finals. Putting it in a smaller venue to make it look fuller doesn't make it better attended.

I think you over estimate how NE shows pay without certain names attached

Well lets look at how I estimate without jumping to conclusions.

Lets say my start up corps is in the NE and there are 5 shows I can do that are within a few hours of my home base. It would behoove me to be a competitive corps because the corps would make SOME money going to these shows.

Now lets say my start up corps is in the South. I have two local shows and neither one of them pays. The only paying show I am going to go to is finals up North. Whats it going to pay me? Not even gas money to get up there. So what is the point of being a competitive corps if you are not going to benefit from it financially??

Going exhibition is a great way for a start up corps to get their foundation built without having to expose the corps to what could be a disappointing competitive season its first year out. Exhibition corps are usually very well received by the spectators and other corps because they are no threat to the competitive corps.

So there are benefits to going exhibition. It would have to be carefully weighed which direction you go with based on the above factors.

I have a couple things to add here... When is enough going to be ENOUGH? Is this really what DCA wants? When is somebody going to have the balls to look Mr. Hopkins in the eye and say your not wanted here? Take your money and your circus freak show and stick it up your ...! Its coming, and I hope I am there to see it. You all need to check out his personal blog, what he really thinks about things Drum and Bugle Corps wise especially DCA, before you all decide on letting him in. He is pretty ###### off right now, seeing that he did not get his way with the g7. Look at DCI these days, not doing real great right now and hes the big man on campus... just saying. You all might want to think this one out, before you let him in. Is this really what DCA wants?

I will add this edit just for good measure...

If you all need someone to look him straight in the eye and tell him face to face that his schtick is getting real old "I am more than happy to do it" he does not impress me, his kids do.

I have my toc tickets this year. Did you all see I said tickets. :thumbup:

Lets say my start up corps is in the NE and there are 5 shows I can do that are within a few hours of my home base. It would behoove me to be a competitive corps because the corps would make SOME money going to these shows.

Now lets say my start up corps is in the South. I have two local shows and neither one of them pays. The only paying show I am going to go to is finals up North. Whats it going to pay me? Not even gas money to get up there. So what is the point of being a competitive corps if you are not going to benefit from it financially??

Going exhibition is a great way for a start up corps to get their foundation built without having to expose the corps to what could be a disappointing competitive season its first year out. Exhibition corps are usually very well received by the spectators and other corps because they are no threat to the competitive corps.

So there are benefits to going exhibition. It would have to be carefully weighed which direction you go with based on the above factors.

this makes no sense at all,...........

"For the love of the game", Ed.

Every new corps - north, south, east or west, pick an era - considered the obstacles and knew what they faced before they first downbeat, and yet they did/do it anyway. Some have done well, others didn't, and more continue to try.