Cadets2

DCA has no rules on how corps cap membership, it's up to each corps.

DCA, if you need revenue, you can now sell tickets to meetings.

Can a Not for Profit organization that is recognized by the Federal Government as such, discriminate on age ?

What if a marcher that is over their age cap and is rejected on participation because of the marchers " age " when DCA has the " All Age " division set up that presumably this new DCA Corps will be competing in. Can the Cadets2 do this, and not run afoul of Federal Statues, thus jeapordizing the entire YEA organization's tax exempt status ? (Just asking, mind you. I'm sure they've thought this all through though.)

Edited by BRASSO

:spitting:

*Grabs popcorn*

Can a Not for Profit organization that is recognized by the Federal Government as such, discriminate on age ?

What if a marcher that is over their age cap and is rejected on participation because of the marchers " age ". Can they do this, and not run afoul of Federal Statues, thus jeapordizing the entire YEA organization's tax exempt status ? (Just asking, mind you. I'm sure they've thought this all through though.)

Interesting thought. But how do the Cavies and Scouts get around it?

More likely is that the Cadets are trying to take control of their own feeder program instead of leaving it up to other organizations. The fact that it's 22 and under makes it pretty clear that they are going to consider this their primary training ground for future Cadets (DCI), much like BDB and SCVC.

If it is a feeder corps, then they should be in DCI competing against BDB and SCV Cadets. But, I guess George doesn't want to pay the travel costs for a feeder corps to go to DCI (even though BD and SCV have been doing it for years).

I think it might be an interesting rule change to say that corps competing in DCA have no age restrictions ... but then I guess individual corps could "weed out" those (old folks) who they don't want in through the audition process.

It will be interesting seeing George at the DCA meetings!

How many times have people suggested that DCA have its own division for the current DCI Open Class corps, if not take over that division completely?

If any other corps had decided to go the DCA route with their feeder corps instead of DCI Open Class, would we be as worried?

Should future start-up corps which could march DCI Open Class also consider DCA as a viable alternative?

• Like 2

Interesting thought. But how do the Cavies and Scouts get around it?

Good point. Maybe for the simple reason their exclusivity has never been tested and challenged before by a female ? I don't really know the answer. Perhaps others do. I do know that the Scouts a few years ago had a female Guard member in the Corps for one year to play the central character role of " Carmen ". But they sought out a female for this role.

Edited by BRASSO

If it is a feeder corps, then they should be in DCI competing against BDB and SCV Cadets. But, I guess George doesn't want to pay the travel costs for a feeder corps to go to DCI (even though BD and SCV have been doing it for years).

I think it might be an interesting rule change to say that corps competing in DCA have no age restrictions ... but then I guess individual corps could "weed out" those (old folks) who they don't want in through the audition process.

Since Cadets2 will have a different director, you may not see George at DCA meetings.

If any of you had read the full release from YEA webpage, you would have noticed the following, which some people have missed:

" A DCI presence was considered but touring costs drew YEA! to request of DCA that Cadets2 be allowed to participate in their arena. And yes, there is the possibility we will loosen the age restrictions to 23 or 24, depending on demand."

So, They may have an age limit higher then 22, which would place them outside of the DCI landscape.

Just thought someone would have noticed that by now.

Edited by bbwsperc

Why would they do that, when there is a viable alternative that's in their own backyard? Fiscally this makes the most sense, and seems like the easiest way for them control their influx of membership. Rather than cutting kids and sending them to Reading, or Serf, or one of the other organizations, they can train their own future members while indoctrinating them to the Cadets way of thinking. With this said, it only makes sense that they would want to make the experience as seamless as possible between the two organizations. I will be interested to see if they follow the lead of other DCA corps and trot out amps and mics for their local DCI shows as well.

As someone who as been not so patiently waiting for DCA to get it together and make the leap to A&E, I welcome The Cadets and Hopkins to the DCA arena, and can't wait to see him be the catalyst for change.

• Like 1

Well, that would impact your own corps, the Renegades, as well. Don't they restrict age as well (to 18 and up)?