Hatred in drum corps

I think people take drum corps WAY too seriously. Members can take rivalries too seriously, fans take rules/design trends too seriously, staff & designers can take competition too seriously. At the end of the day, we boo people or corps, give dissertations on why a show design is superior to others, and stay awake at night trying to think of a way to squeeze a few more tenths out of a show to beat a rival. When there were full retreats on a nightly basis we had 'retreat games' where members messed with other members, damaged equipment, sometimes fought, all over a few centimeters of a track or football field. Drum corps have literally gotten into fights over people breaking rank, staff members have embarrassed and outright abused members over mistakes, and screaming/insult matches have transpired at critique. All over 15 minute marching band shows!

Yet, I guess I wouldn't necessarily call any of that "hatred." Maybe way misguided passion at times, but not hatred.

Have you ever marched? I am not sure because maybe you just chose not to put it on your profile. I for one did not pay $3000 a season to not take the competition seriously. The money in itself puts a huge difference in people taking drum corps seriously as oposed to a soccer day yelling at his little sons soccer game. Also when you are on tour dedicated 3 months of your life to being great, you take it seriously. And when you are competing within a 10th a point to another corps, you better believe that everyone within both corps are trying to squeeze a few more thents out to beat the other team. And sometimes, you say to yourself I hate them, to add a competitive edge. Does that mean you HATE them? No! It means you respect them. Take 2009 for example. When we were competing closely with Regiment and Boston, I at least formed a sort of hatred for both groups. Even though I have always had the utmost respect for Regiment, and as soon as those scores were announce, it was a reliefe that I didnt have to "hate" them anymore. No one told me I had to hate them, and everyone handles that situation in a different way, but I myself am a competitor. And here I am, just coming home from volunteering for Phantom. So am I a terrible person?

• Like 1

And yet you continue to speak out against GH. Booing was wrong. The end. Who cares what GH did; the booing is wrong, the end.

I am not a fan of booing but it is what it is.....it happens. Scores are booed often. The one thing to keep in mind is that I think it would be very safe to say that booing has never been directed at the members themselves. If the members don't know this...then they don't understand drum corps fans.....

Regarding this specific incident....

What were the reasons for booing ? Well....here is one reason that most probably don't know. Having been in attendance that night...two people sitting a couple seats away from me booed when the corps started to leave the field....because they thought the corps was not going to perform that night. They didn't boo GH and his bow to the crowd...

I am not a fan of booing but it is what it is.....it happens. Scores are booed often. The one thing to keep in mind is that I think it would be very safe to say that booing has never been directed at the members themselves. If the members don't know this...then they don't understand drum corps fans.....

Regarding this specific incident....

What were the reasons for booing ? Well....here is one reason that most probably don't know. Having been in attendance that night...two people sitting a couple seats away from me booed when the corps started to leave the field....because they thought the corps was not going to perform that night. They didn't boo GH and his bow to the crowd...

there is a town in southern ohio called "midget town" apparently, if you go there at midnight and honk your horns, killer midgets are supposed to come out and throw rocks at the car.... however this rumer started because a guy use to have a miniature hayride, and after he died, his mini tractor and mine hayride were left behind,one thing led to another to the point where you do not want to wake up the "midgets" there... see the corrilation?

Yes you are right the world is no bed of roses and kids have to know the reality of everything and learning BAD behavior of adults I guess is one of them. And sorry I dont buy the reason for lack of attendance on shows etc etc.. thats the few who believe that their glorified presence is shifting the tides and makes those people believe and justify their own egos..Sorry didnt buy it yesterday or today. The world is different and thats it. JMO, we can argue that until its all gone and then people will argue and blame for the next 50 years after.

Back to behavior, maybe we can start the show with ' LETS GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEE" so if people still go then just shut up. I'm sure many don't want the opinion anyway. As I said i dislike even hate some shows now, manybe not the ones someothers do, sooo, i get up and go have a dog and a drink and maybe even a chuckle on some throwback shows.Booing, NEVER........there is NO justification.

People who stopped going didnt stop justify their ego. they stopped liking what they saw, and they spoke,, they were told if you hate it go away. so they did. Attendance was dropping before the economy took the big crapper. If people are made to feel like they aren't wanted or needed, they'll stop spending $$ on it. DCI for the most part has realized it and seems to be taking steps to stop the trend and maybe it reverse it to a degree

trust me, I'm not fan of overdone electronics, but when the ######## at Allentown started yelling at Teal last year, I had no problem telling him to shut up and loudly, and I was no fan of the show.

• Like 1

And yet you continue to speak out against GH. Booing was wrong. The end. Who cares what GH did; the booing is wrong, the end.

let me repeat myself:

two wrongs do not make a right.

if I need to, I can say it slower for you. I have yet to defend the booing that night. That said, he of all people should know better. The booing got worse after he did his thing, and may have led to what affected his corps as well. But see, no one will say that. So I will...yes the booing was bad. His fanning the flames led to what affected his kids.

• Like 2

let me repeat myself:

two wrongs do not make a right.

if I need to, I can say it slower for you. I have yet to defend the booing that night. That said, he of all people should know better. The booing got worse after he did his thing, and may have led to what affected his corps as well. But see, no one will say that. So I will...yes the booing was bad. His fanning the flames led to what affected his kids.

No. Booing is wrong. The end. What GH did was not wrong; the booing was. The end.

• Like 3

No. Booing is wrong. The end. What GH did was not wrong; the booing was. The end.

LOL. You crack me up. No grey area for you, eh...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

LOL. You crack me up. No grey area for you, eh...

Not on this issue, no. He's attempting to somehow equate the WRONG of booing to the "wrong" of a man bending at the waist. Really?

• Like 2

-yawn-

Can we move on now?

• Like 1