The Saginaw Saloon

No, it tells me that the current form of mercenary drum corps doesn't allow shows to be finished on time. If all you have is audition camp in November, call backs in December, once a month camps from January to May, then a quick Spring Training before having your first show MORE THAN HALF-WAY INTO JUNE, and it's STILL not finished? How did drum corps BITD start the season in May? Oh, yeah, they used local kids who could come to weekly rehearsals that began with auditions (and those that didn't do so well in the auditions were given a spot in the feeder corps to work on their skills and get them prepared to march in the "A-Corps"); increase to twice-weekly in January or February, get on the field weekly in March, and have a complete show on the field in May. Considering how much less talent we had, because we were competing for members with 12 other corps in our region, we still managed to get a full show on the field. Park and bark in June is unacceptable, IMO.

Garry in Vegas

Good points on why corps were able to field complete shows by the first of June back then. This setup was dependent on the fact that there were several local drum corps to choose from in any given region, making those once a week rehearsals possible. Now, instead of twelve corps right around the corner, there are MAYBE 12 on your entire coast. I think corps do the best they can to get in as much rehearsal as possible before the season starts. While I'm not a fan of fielding an incomplete show, I think the corps are doing the best they can with the modern climate of having members from all over. Most corps have only four TOTAL weeks of rehearsal before the season with half of that time spread through weekend chunks in the winter and the other half finally all together in a mad dash to begin the season. I'm amazed that any group can have a complete product under those constraints.

• Like 1

No, it tells me that the current form of mercenary drum corps doesn't allow shows to be finished on time. If all you have is audition camp in November, call backs in December, once a month camps from January to May, then a quick Spring Training before having your first show MORE THAN HALF-WAY INTO JUNE, and it's STILL not finished? How did drum corps BITD start the season in May? Oh, yeah, they used local kids who could come to weekly rehearsals that began with auditions (and those that didn't do so well in the auditions were given a spot in the feeder corps to work on their skills and get them prepared to march in the "A-Corps"); increase to twice-weekly in January or February, get on the field weekly in March, and have a complete show on the field in May. Considering how much less talent we had, because we were competing for members with 12 other corps in our region, we still managed to get a full show on the field. Park and bark in June is unacceptable, IMO.

Garry in Vegas

Prep/rehearsal is the answer of course. But drum corps is much smaller than years past (not sure how many corps were active when you were active) and kids have to travel great distances to get to the practice sites. Two-a-month rwould be a dream killer for many in a shrinking corps population environment. I guess I'm suggesting that logic, no matter how correct it is, doesn't always give you the best solution.

I remember talking with one of the judges after an early show a couple of seasons ago regarding the whole "incomplete show at the first show" thing, and they're basically trained to ignore that and judge "what's on the field, not what isn't".

For that to be true:

1. Undertime shows should score lower. An 8-minute show should get 80% what an equivalent quality 10-minute program scores.

2. Shows with missing endings or two minutes of standstill should be assessed for the effect (i.e. lack thereof) resulting from the missing ending/drill.

I wish, like you, that more corps would have Scott Stewart's mentality about performing, that being that for about 70-80% of the audience, that particular night is the only time they'll see you perform all year, so the corps owes it to them to put the best, most complete product on the field possible instead of just a piecemeal show.

Agree....to a point.

I have no problem with corps making "planned changes" that cause their shows to evolve over the course of the season....as long as the early-season version still makes sense. However, I have heard some complain about seeing anything less than the DCI Finals version of a show earlier in the season....and I do not think that corps are obligated to provide every last detail of a program in June. For that matter, they are free to give us obviously incomplete shows at early contests if they wish.

My only suggestion is that such shows be judged properly, as I indicated above. If they were, perhaps we'd never see obviously incomplete shows in competition.

Tough crowd on DCP re. the 1st show critique, imo.

Its a jungle out there.

Yeah. Let's judge a show that's a week earlier than usual, with corps that travelled 2000 miles to be there, in a high wind, threat of storms, and despite what other people have said, I know for a fact BD's show is far from complete, especially the finale. I have it on good authority that there are "many" endings to come, as well as point out the fact that "God Give me Strength" isn't on the field yet. It's fun to talk about, but like spring training, it doesn't mean a lot. I have heard many people (including a good number here) say BD's horns are excellent this year, maybe one of the best lines ever. I'm excited to see and hear everyone- what a fabulous activity to be a part of, even if it's just as a fan, like me. Oh, and Happy father's day to all the drum corps fathers.

• Like 2

Its kind of like when people claimed BD was booooo'd at finals last year. I was there, it didnt happen but it made them feel better to say that.

I was there. I boo'd. It did happen.

• Like 4

Quick impressions from yesterday.

On the drive over the weather looked concerning with a large storm system developing to the west. Turned out to be good news as it mostly just blocked the sun. I'm not sure about that "waiting on the rain" move for Blue Devils, it never really rained more than pianissimo. But the wind picked up a great deal during and after their show so the waiting may have backfired.

Quick recap from my perspective.

Blue Stars - Great entertaining show to start the season. Very loud hornline and enjoyable music. The scaffolding was an interesting visual but I found it somewhat distracting as I was watching it too much to see if anyone fell.

Vanguard - From the opening big moment this show was in trouble as the first note impact was not together at all. I think several horn players missed the que or something. I saw them in practice and that opener was very clean and loud. The show needs a lot of work but will come together. I think the snowy frigid weather the first week of camp in California hurt them, but at least they had a complete show on the field. The drumline didn't disappoint but the hornline is not on their level. And can somebody in the brass section go hit a Bb on a marimba and tune to the pit.....geez!!

Actually, there were about three corps not in tune with their pit. How does that happen???

Phantom - Beautiful show and a step up in brass sound. Not as difficult of a brass show as the past few seasons but it connects very well with the audience. Elsa's Processional was the only song going through my mind on the drive home......beautiful. The storyline needs to be expanded more as I didn't see anything related to the theme after Romeo and Juliet appeared in the back corner.

Cadets - Well done show, great contrast between the Angels and Demons. The battle scene was one of the best moments of the night. Oh wait, the Amazing Grace ballard was even better. Love this show.

Crown - Fun cheese. They had one of the most entertaining shows of the evening and are performing well. Brass is great as usual, and the drumline is much improved this year. Understand the piano players purpose, but don't really like hearing piano music with drum corps.

Bluecoats - 2010 leftover show. This show feels so much like last year's show but just not as good. Tuba section feature....check, funky low brass musical selection....check, overuse of synth sound effects....check.

Caviliers - Best show of the night IMO, best brass, possibly best percussion, and best overall visuals. The upside down tenors was the best moment but not sure how it sounded because the crowd was going crazy. It would be interesting to hear this without crowd noise to see how well they play that way. The snare stick tossing unfortunately was audible and very dirty. I was thinking this show would win but then they stood still for the last minute of the show. So not sure what impact that will have on judging.

Blue Devils - Much more enjoyable show than 2010 but the wind was playing havoc with their props. In the drum feature several "poles" fell over in the middle of their drill, forcing some drummers to stop and pick them up so nobody tripped. And the "house" that was built was from the set of Twister as the wind was blowing it apart. As stated several times these guys have an amazing horn section, but honestly they way over power it with the bass synth.

Final observation and a message to the drum corps staff. Several thousand people paid for the priviledge to see your corps. Can you have a little more respect of the crowd as you race up the steps and shove your way to spots to see your corps? Haven't you already seen it several times?? We had the unfortunate luck of having seats at the top of the aisle that the staff used as a step to get to the standing area under the press box. What a PITA between every corps....closing vent now.

I was there. I boo'd. It did happen.

People who boo the kids on the field rather than confront the staff who created the shows in the first place remind me of self-absorbed little league parents. They're either cowards, thugs or just plain ignorant.

Good job. Hope you were proud of yourself.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 6

the more I think about last night, the more I keep going back to Phantom's show.

something about that show, is staying in my head. That show will be amazing by the end of season. When I watch them preform it, I get a major 2008 vibe.

it is just something about that show.

• Like 3

I remember talking with one of the judges after an early show a couple of seasons ago regarding the whole "incomplete show at the first show" thing, and they're basically trained to ignore that and judge "what's on the field, not what isn't". So yeah, expect it to continue.

And Hopkins is a total hypocrite for insisting that the touring model be redone to save money and then putting that type of tour schedule together for his corps. Guess he won the lottery sometime during the winter...

Wait, Galen, what gave you the impression that the touring model was redone to save money? It wasn't the point at all. The point was that the compromise to the events of May '10 was to showcase the "top talent" separate and distinct from the other 15 corps. And to make money for the individual corps that perform. Part of that negotiation was the subsidization of the TOC costs by DCI, up front, with the promise (hope) that the TOC shows would draw more fans than the non-TOC shows, pay for themselves, and leave more in the pockets of those corps participating.

I don't agree that GH is a hypocrite, not by a long shot. He simply, once again, got an incremental advance towards his ultimate goal. I don't fault the guy for his success, but he's wrong in his vision, imho. The proof will be in the pudding at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Garry in Vegas

Why? Because an entire show from "the good old days" is about the equivalent of a single movement for a WC corps these days. I certainly remember a lot of park and bark back then and it was part of the show.

• Like 2