The Saginaw Saloon

*shakes head*

So much #####ing, this early in the year. if this is seriously how it's going to be all season.. It is going to be a long one.

Come on guys, Seasons started.. Be civil and be excited.

It's DCP. People were #####ing during winter camps.

Folks here are a tad passionate about the activity. If everything on here was sunshine and buttercups, would we really be here?

Looks to be an interesting summer. Hope it stays that way up through finals.

:ph34r:Got some score info. Each corps' staff received their individual score and the overall rankings. I checked with 2 corps. Results are as follows

1: The Cavaliers - 72.250

2: The Cadets

3: Blue Devils

4: Carolina Crown

5: Bluecoats - 70.100

6: Phantom Regiment

7: Santa Clara Vanguard

8: Blue Stars

If anyone else got a score or two, fill them in.

I call BS on this one. (and BS doesn't mean Blue Stars). There's no way each corps would be given their individual score AND the placement of every other corps if the scores are supposed to be withheld... If this was true, then the official pages for each respectable corps would've probably let something leak out about it.

• Like 1

I have nothing to contribute to whatever it is that's being argued about right now, but I just wanted to say that I watched a video of the Cavies doing a partial runthrough (standstill of the last movement, from a few days before the show), and all I have to say is...I will be very happy if they win. AWESOME show.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled whining.

[/commercial]

:ph34r:Got some score info. Each corps' staff received their individual score and the overall rankings. I checked with 2 corps. Results are as follows

1: The Cavaliers - 72.250

2: The Cadets

3: Blue Devils

4: Carolina Crown

5: Bluecoats - 70.100

6: Phantom Regiment

7: Santa Clara Vanguard

8: Blue Stars

If anyone else got a score or two, fill them in.

I got different info from someone one of the corps staff. It was so close!

1: Cadets - 70.36

2. Blue Stars - 70.35

3. Cavaliers - 70.34

4. Devils - 70.33

5. Crown = 70.32

6. BlueCoats - 70.31

7. Phantom - 70.30

8. SCV - 70.29

• Like 1

I remember talking with one of the judges after an early show a couple of seasons ago regarding the whole "incomplete show at the first show" thing, and they're basically trained to ignore that and judge "what's on the field, not what isn't". So yeah, expect it to continue.

I wish, like you, that more corps would have Scott Stewart's mentality about performing, that being that for about 70-80% of the audience, that particular night is the only time they'll see you perform all year, so the corps owes it to them to put the best, most complete product on the field possible instead of just a piecemeal show.

And Hopkins is a total hypocrite for insisting that the touring model be redone to save money and then putting that type of tour schedule together for his corps. Guess he won the lottery sometime during the winter...

This is a contradiction in and of itself.

The judges in fact are trained to evaluate what is on the field in DCI. Just like any other judging circuit. They are not expected to ignore that the show is incomplete, just to judge what is out there.

So, if a corps stands still and plays the last 30 seconds of their show they will get dinged in music & visual effect BIG TIME along with pretty much every other caption to a lesser degree. I have taught corps (decades ago BTW) who stood still the last minute (or more) and played the show and we got dinged on the tapes, on the sheets, and in critique. I remember hearing phrases exactly like this: "We liked you guys tonight, but you stood still there at the end, and the number will reflect that on the sheets. Finish the show, and that goes up..." Those are the EXACT words that I heard on more than one occasion in my time as an instructor and some of those same judges were judging the show last night and I can guarantee you they said the same thing to some of the corps then.

As for the people that didn't stand there for the last minute of the show, do you guys think they were done? If so, you are kidding yourself. NONE of them are done. If they are, they are likely in trouble. EVERY corps out there has a new ending coming later or the actual ending coming later. Most corps manufacture an ending for the first half of the season so they can get some feedback from the judges and the audience about what is working and then give them some more of that at the end.

Just to think back to last year: I remember the fans going crazy about SC not being done early season. Just going insane on them and one of the directives from their BOD was that they have the complete product on the field at te first show.... look at the reviews of the show from last night and tell me how that is working out for them.

I got different info from someone one of the corps staff. It was so close!

1: Cadets - 70.36

2. Blue Stars - 70.35

3. Cavaliers - 70.34

4. Devils - 70.33

5. Crown = 70.32

6. BlueCoats - 70.31

7. Phantom - 70.30

8. SCV - 70.29

No ties ?

Wow. Really? I guess Cadets didn't travel about the same distance as BD...

And it seems that all eight corps are performing their first show at the same time.

And EVERYONE competed in the same weather last night. Heard Crown went to the gate and then back inside twice. The wind was apparently insane from start to finish.

I don't mind you defending BD but don't try to do it like this...

Apparently BD and Cavies are less than complete. Probably means they spent more time on the parts they *do* have complete. Their choice.

Happy Father's Day to all from a drum corps Dad :-)

Dude, I'm not defending or criticizing anyone. I'm just saying, relax and don't hate on people- from any corps. I will say it's quite a transition from being the a Spirit (and Boston) parent to having a kid who's marching the equivalent of the New York Yankees (or even, my beloved BoSox). I think it's time for me to stop reading these forums and move on- I"m sure you agree. The only reason I come here is to get information about stuff that's happening across the country from me- I'm a fan of my kid, first last and middle.