Your Theater Experience

I was at a theater in Cincinnati on the west side of town (Harrison Avenue, I believe) and there were a total of 6 people in the house for the event ... couldn't believe the small crowd for our location, but I am glad to learn that other theater crowds around the country were larger. Going to Fairfield, OH, tomorrow night to see Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Madison and others live-and-in-person ... should be a great show, weather permitting. :-)

Ticket was $12.50 here, I gues I'm a bigger dork ?

I would like to know WHW my ticket was $15 WITH a $1 processing fee for $16 at the theater? HUH

I forgot to add this earlier:

The popcorn and Milk Duds at my theater were quite tasty. :thumbup:

Dublin,Ca (just down the road from Concord)

Perhaps 100 people in attendance...all ages. A very respectful and knowledgeable audience.

The sound at the theater was low at first. I asked two worker bees if we could get the sound

turned up and it sounded as though they did somewhat. But by 30 minutes into the show, the

sound was great and kept getting better all night. Props to the theater or DCI or whoever

increased the volume. Also kudos to the audience who applauded every Corps after their performance.

Well Done.

Blue Devils - I've been a fan for about 35 years. But I'm not seeing it (yet) this season.

In order for BD to compete for a championship this year, they are not only going to have to

clean, but ADD drill and clean. Too many dead spots in the show so far. I like the music, but

I feel as though the Corps is just feeling their way through it right now...and they still don't

BELIEVE in the show yet. I'll tell you what, IF they end up coming back (I know, I know, its only

the first weekend), then this may end up being their greatest championship of all.

Cadets - Interesting concept of the two colors of uniforms. Anybody who marches Cadets this year

is going to end up in the best shape of their lives. Love the constant geometric shapes morphing

across the field. The battle drill is nicely done and expect Hop to add a big bang to the end of

the show. Its a GRAND show that may be capable of winning it all this year. I haven't thought that

since the Zone.

Cavaliers - I'm floored. To be this good this early is mind-blowing. Gaines is a genius. I love

what I am seeing, hearing, and experience from this season's show. In my opinion, nobody (not the

Cadets, Devs, or anyone is close to the Cavies right now). The upside down Quads...great.

Crown - I see a lot of split opinions on this show and unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

The Queen songs, the Rach and roll seems like pandering to me. I'll give the Corps credit, they have

bought into the show. It is obvious they like to perform it.

Bluecoats - Hard to watch this one without comparing it to Metropolis. I like it, but not love it.

Great sound...but their drill is so...so...rigid. Their are few rounded edges...its line, block, line,

square, line. I'd like to see a few more "S" formations. Whereas I feel Crown is too loose, I think

the Coats are too staunchy.

Phantom - I actually like this show a lot. Yes it is slow in parts, but its a love story and meant

to be told in an unrushed fashion. Not sure this show has the stuff to return Phantom to glory, but

I know that I will enjoy seeing it develope over the next 7 weeks.

Vanguard - Darkhorse. I'm saying right now, this show has the ability to become something great.

Its raw right now, but I love the intensity. Santa Clara is here with a purpose. I DO think this

has a chance at top 5.

Blue Stars - HATE the catwalk. This cut the field in half (depth wise) and causes the Corps to be

constricted in the first 60% of the field. BS was LOUD! Props to the brass, but the show was dirty

and I just don't see them overtaking any of the corps currently ahead of them. Oh, and I really,

really, REALLY dislike the uni's. Grey Drab.

Final Thought: Having the G8 meet this early caused each Corps to up their game early. This can only

encourage a better performance by each competitor by finals night. I bet this becomes an annual thing.

Final Final Thought: Could this be another year 2000?...a tie between Cavies and Cadets at the end?

Cali.

Edited by Calistar

im sure that cost more than the ticket...lol

I spent $30 on two cokes, two nachos, and a water for me and my kid.

thieves.

Cali.

Just to put this out there for those who lack creativity and any knowledge on sexuality and gender. It is extremely disrespectful to bash a corps and or person for not wearing "gender specific" clothes. If your way too close minded/homophobic and don't want to see "crossdressers" as you call it don't ever leave your house. There are all kinds of people who march in corps nowadays and they express themselves however they want off and sometimes on the field. There is no reason for you to not wanna write a review on corps x or dislike corps x's show because of your oppressive conservative outlook. its not 1950 anymore. people have the freedom to wear whatever they want.

People have the freedom to wear what they want, and other people have the freedom to say they don't like it.

• Like 1

The announcers could have been better. The older guy was definitely a debbie downer (I don't think he should have been talking about how much certain corps and sections were struggling, and how he was trying to convince everyone the Blue Stars weren't actually loud. Even if it's true, don't do that!). Almost every time it cut to them, it seemed pretty awkward. I love the part where they interviewed Nathan Medina, the Bluecoats snare. "You're center snare this year, right?" "No". He splits center, but isn't actually "center" snare that does tap offs. Definitely see why he said he wasn't center. Anyway, announcers could have been better.

Which old guy are you talking about?

If it's Steve, here's a couple of things to know:

Steve has been the face of DCI since 1979, co-hosting, then anchoring, the broadcast on PBS, ESPN2, and all of the DCI Classic Countdowns, Big, Live and Loud, and more recently the Premier Weekend. He has been an anchor man in television news in several Eastern and Southern markets.

He marched as a baritone player in the Watkins Glen Squires and served as the corps manager, starting in his age-out year handling all the corps' scheduling, logistics and PR. He did that for a couple of more years while working as a news reporter in Rochester.

In 1979 he accepted a position as an anchor in Miami, and later Orlando. Don Whitely, who handled PR for DCI at the time, approached Steve about helping the Florida Vanguards. Eventually he became the corps director, re-organized the corps, and changed the name to Florida Wave. From the edge of implosion, Steve took the corps to Class-A champs and perennial Associate Members of DCI.

The other "old guy" is Dennis DeLucia, former member of the elite West Point Band, and instructor over several decades for the Poughkeepsie Pacers, Hawthorne Muchachos, Bayonne Bridgemen, Star of Indiana, and Crossmen, and has been on the faculty at Rutgers University since 1996. He had three straight High Percussion awards with the Bridgemen in 1980, 81 and 82. In 1981 he hit a trifecta winning the high percussion trophy with Bridegmen in Open Class (now World Class), Fantasia III in Class-A (now Open Class) and the Sunrisers in DCA. He also sits on the Task Force for WGI Indoor Percussion.

So, you think you might cut these "old guys" some slack? I think they have the credentials. Wanna post your resume?

Garry in Vegas

• Like 7

I spent $30 on two cokes, two nachos, and a water for me and my kid.

thieves.

Cali.

We spent about $40 on 2 hot dogs, popcorn, nachos, and 3 med drinks (but they were pretty large). After the show, we went to Steak n' Shake and ate for 1/2 what we spent in the theater. Thieves--yes!

I would like to know WHW my ticket was $15 WITH a $1 processing fee for $16 at the theater? HUH

Foe some reason this seems to happen all the time here. I remember one of the quarterfinals price being all over the place. I can't remember the exact numbers but people who bought advanced sale tickets paid what the rest of the country was paying but I paid almost $5 cheaper as a walk up and yet two other walk ups payed other figures.

I don't understand it either