Cadets contra went down at semis

Saw the angel contra go down last night and was (again) wondering: Does a fall affect the score?

The line closed down before he could recover but he squeezed in.

The demon contra next to him tried to catch him as he fell. Looked like the demon tripped the angel.

Apparently it doesn't much affect it, given the scores. Unless the appropriate judges didn't see it. The snare fall in 09 WAS noticed, but it tanked the percussion score because I guess the battery was shaky for the remaining half a show.

Not directly. At least it never used to.

Saw the angel contra go down last night and was (again) wondering: Does a fall affect the score?

The demon contra next to him tried to catch him as he fell. Looked like the demon tripped the angel.

Stop blaming this on demons. I'm tired of all the hating on this board.

Members falling is a sign to me that all corps need to lower their demand so that they can execute perfectly, all the time, no matter what. We need to prevent the insanity and danger to life, limb, and performance scores of playing and marching simultaneously, and especially doing it fast, backwards, or on grass, which stains uniforms, or astroturf, which may chafe.

We need to "stage" more effectively to make things look harder, and thus mitigate risk.

Pushing the envelope causes injuries, such as the Cadets snare who gutted it out for weeks but then had to bow out, causing significant reassignments in the drill, risking lower scores.

Sports, too, I think need to be toned down on demand, because people can get hurt consistently pushing themselves. And they sweat from exertion, which is just plain offensive.

And let's not forget property. Instruments get damaged too. Yamaha's gonna sue someone. Instead of marching, drum corps members should stand still so we don't dent a bari or bend a mello's bell.

Oh, and let's get this straight: the Cadets contra who fell and recovered didn't "squeeze" back into the line. I read the other thread. Didn't you? He was clearly "slotted" into the line by the judges.

And speaking of judges: I was shocked to see that they actually run around on that field. Get them off the field, because fast movements, as well as simultaneous movement and talking into their tri-corders, make me very nervous. They should slot themselves into some chairs.

I wish all the corps good luck, and seriously, despite the risk, no more injuries. I am heartened to see that most corps really do push the limit. I've never seen so much quality on the field than I did at quarter finals. Amazing. Congrats to every single marching member in every single corps (even if I have which I might call a 'long-standing' beef with certain show designers who act too much like attorneys).

And thank you Madison, who brought tears to my family's eyes this year, to Crown, who they thought was great fun and had phenomenal brass, to Vanguard, who always, always push the limit, to the Cavaliers, who amaze with their marching, and to the Blue Devils, whose members have the talent to execute anything.

May everyone play and march their best tonight. Enjoy the experience - what an amazing, amazing year of drum corps.

• Like 8

So I guess the Demons won last night?

• Like 2

Am I the only one who heard this thread title musically to "Devil went down to Georgia..."?

Garry in Vegas

So I guess the Demons won last night?

Well... one of 'em did.

• Like 1

When someone falls it likely affects the visual performance and ensemble score, a maybe a little in visual GE. But it's only a few seconds worth in a 12 minute show, so the bigger picture still must be considered and scored. One 3-second mishap shouldn't affect 10 to 20% of your score. I think there is a perception amongst fans that a fall should cost a corps 1, 2, 3 points or more. The Cavaliers also had a member fall at the end of their show, and their score went up as well, and rightly so.

Overall, the Cadets marched like demons and their show was much cleaner last night.

• Like 2

Think it needs to be said again ... Jwillis35 mentioned this in the "Semi" thread, but the Contra member did recover quickly and positioned himself spot on to step into the arch that moves into the company front ...

Even though many of us saw him go down, the zipper line actually hid him to a degree ...

I attended the majority of the Quarterfinals, but only watched the top 8 last night ...

The falls I saw yesterday ...

Boston Snare go down ... actually thought he was hurt ...

Cavies member go down

Cadet Tuba/Contra ...