The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

^^^^^^^^^ THIS.

It will be interesting to see how layman will react to this show. Imagine being a high school kid going to their first corps show. "Cool because its recognizable" or "WTF because its Christmas". Also it will be interesting to see how "We Need A Liitle Christmas" goes over along the parade routes. Theres alot people who know absolutely nothing about DCI that go to those parades....."honey, are they playing what I think their playing? Do they know its July?"

More importantly it will be interesting to see how corps members react to having to practice/perform Christmas music for almost 9 months (since camp), personally I know i'm tired of listening to it after 1 month.

I think of all the show announcements this is the one im most curious about....dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

I'd agree but if you listened to the broadcast the Carol of the Bells section isn't necessarily the old choir hymn... It's definitely got punch to it as do the other sections.

If I had to think about what will make this show successful it would have to be how much they can step up the bad-assery. I mean they just need to be the trans-Siberian Orchestra of DCI. If they can do that, then no doubt people will fall in love. And high school kids dig re-mixes and arrangements of familiar tunes lol.

1. BD, Though I wish they would be more appealing to a wider audience, they will again perform well with a show concept that most judges will be afraid and unequipped to criticize. The performance level will again surpass most in all captions.

2, Crown, Though a bit of a stretch, I suspect the new staff members who I see as fitting better with the remaining staff than those who have left will make for a great summer and overall product.

3. SCV, see above (Crown) PLUS a much better rep and audience appeal

4. Phantom, An even better year and vying for the guard trophy, the lack luster drill and thuddy look of large college marching band forms will keep things in fourth

5. Cadets, just a hunch that they will have some areas of show development that just don't click

6. Cavies, I am just tired of what we have seen and heard the last few years and don't think this year's offering will garner much more excitement or interest. The overblown and pretty nasty brass issues, especially pitch and poor balance will finally be recognized as such

7. Bluecoats, feeling that staff changes and a large turnover of members will keep things in seventh

8. Boston, great technique but lack luster overall design

9. Madison, new and old staff don't click well despite improved overall talent level

10. Spirit of Atlanta, seem to be taking care of business in the off season, much depends on members bringing a higher personal performance level to all-days

11. Blue Knights, good again, but not better

12. Blue Star, nice show, but...

13. Academy, a stronger year and some captions clearly better

14. Crossmen, see above

15. Glassmen, lost half of their best caption people and the brass issues are not getting attention

16. BDB, scare some people even more in 2012

17. SCV Cadets, see above

18. Trooper, lots of heart but not enough talent or show interest

19. PC, good again

20. Colts, keep loosing staff through the winter and overcoming staff issues from 2010-2011

21. Cascades, better but so are most

22. Mandarins, see above

23. Jersey Surf, clever but rebuilding still

24. Teal Sound, rough winter

25. Pioneer, reaching their goals

Edited by tigger2
  • Like 6

1. BD, Though I wish they would be more appealing to a wider audience, they will again perform well with a show concept that most judges will be afraid and unequipped to criticize. The performance level will again surpass most in all captions.

2, Crown, Though a bit of a stretch, I suspect the new staff members who I see as fitting better with the remaining staff than those who have left will make for a great summer and overall product.

4. Phantom, An even better year and vying for the guard trophy, the lack luster drill and thuddy look of large college marching band forms will keep things in fourth

5. Cadets, just a hunch that they will have some areas of show development that just don't click

6. Cavies, I am just tired of what we have seen and heard the last few years and don't think this year's offering will garner much more excitement or interest. The overblown and pretty nasty brass issues, especially pitch and poor balance will finally be recognized as such

7. Bluecoats, feeling that staff changes and a large turnover of members will keep things in seventh

9. Madison, new and old staff don't click well despite improved overall talent level

10. Spirit of Atlanta, seem to be taking care of business in the off season, much depends on members bringing a higher personal performance level to all-days

14. Crossmen, see above

15. Glassmen, lost half of their best caption people and the brass issues are not getting attention

19. PC, good again

20. Colts, keep loosing staff through the winter and overcoming staff issues from 2010-2011

22. Mandarins, see above

Quite a negative post you've got there.

• Like 1

So many good things to say about the corps. By the way, the word losing is spelled with one o.

14. Crossmen, see above

19. PC, good again

22. Mandarins, see above

Too much stuff going behind the scenes, coupled with a show that doesn't seem to be exciting many. I see them out of the top 5.

It's about doing well in Captions. Cadets won GE last year. They were .2 down from the top in Visual and Top in music .1 from the top in brass and 3rd in drums. I think The Cadets learned from last year. I think they will work as hard at the beginning of the season as they do at the end.( like all corps do) Gino and his Brass crew will be at the top of their game. Colin and his Percussion crew will be kicking butz. Jeff Sacktig is always awesome! And, the guard knows what it takes to be in the top 3. The Cadets will do well in all captions and stay up there.

• Like 1

Too much stuff going behind the scenes, coupled with a show that doesn't seem to be exciting many. I see them out of the top 5.

I get that. But -- by orders of magnitude -- the Cavies had the most significant staff change in the off season.

Do people really believe you can just drop in someone to replace MG?

Maybe but I don't believe it for a second.

• Like 2

Also it will be interesting to see how "We Need A Liitle Christmas" goes over along the parade routes. Theres alot people who know absolutely nothing about DCI that go to those parades....."honey, are they playing what I think their playing? Do they know its July?"

I guess its all perspective. Some parade goers could be along a parade route, listen to songs played from the show, and the husband turns to his wife and says " what the hell are those guys wearing and what the hell was THAT they were playing ?" Just sayin', mind you. And why do we care what people along a parade route might be thinking of the Corps and what they're playing anyway ? The Corps can play whatever they want in a parade... and most do... usually mostly stuff that parade goers might enjoy hearing played, and NOT songs from their field show, Christmas music or otherwise.

Edited by BRASSO

It's about doing well in Captions. Cadets won GE last year. They were .2 down from the top in Visual and Top in music .1 from the top in brass and 3rd in drums. I think The Cadets learned from last year. I think they will work as hard at the beginning of the season as they do at the end.( like all corps do) Gino and his Brass crew will be at the top of their game. Colin and his Percussion crew will be kicking butz. Jeff Sacktig is always awesome! And, the guard knows what it takes to be in the top 3. The Cadets will do well in all captions and stay up there.

Whether or not one likes Christmas Music, if the design conveys the message of (whatever) and the captions are proficient, they will stay in the

top tier. I had the same feeling about the CAVIES/Billy Joel show in 2007. OMG, they are going to tank etc. They were extremely competitive all season long and medaled. I just think the CADETS with their staff consistency, knows what they're doing and I will give them the benefit of the doubt

until the season really begins and then its all up for grabs. (so I agree with BF)..

• Like 2