Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

Please don't waste your time trying to figure out who will be Top 8 next year for the TOC shows. The original concept was a greedy money/power grab by 7 corps directors and their boards. Make no mistake that several of the original players are in discussions as to what their next step is. If there was significant monetary gains from the shows, they will be making calculations on how to split the pot next season. Who's to say 2012 won't have 5, 6 or 7 corps in the TOC? Maybe they will host their own shows outside of DCI next season. Maybe, just maybe, there will be another round of TOC shows like there was this season, but I doubt it.

The 2011 TOC format was a one year deal. We are back to the drawing board for 2012.

I don't disagree with your sentiment that the orginal major proponents of the G7 ( essentially 2 Corps Directors,) operated out of brazen greed. One read of the original power point presentation would not allow any other reasonable conclusion other than that it was money ( and power ) that drove their quest. Money for their 2 Corps and for a handful of others they could entice to join them in their money and power grab of DCI revenues. But we need to be mindful that this Coup attempt was thwarted, and the TOC was an agreed to 1 year experiment to mollify them temporarily, and for a year to go by and revisit this in the off season once again. Its all speculation what will happen from here on out, but what we can say with confidence is that NO change will take place unless it involves the full membership of DCI voting on any proposal and for such proposal to pass muster by securing the neccessary votes of the full DCI Membership body. Despite the efforts to strip Corps of votes, and to assign double the votes to a handful of others, that was stopped cold in it's tracks, as well as the proposal to kill off The Open Class Division Corps. Noteworthy is the actual enhanced visibility this year of the Open Class Corps during Finals Week, as well as some Open Class Division Corps being given an opportunity to compete with the World Division Corps, and once there, demonstrating in a couple of cases their ability to not only compete, but to compete successfully. This is worth noting because if the 2 Corps Directors that were the original architects of the G3, then G7 proposal got their way, these couple of Corps would have received a meeting with a newly created DCI Death Panel Committee, and have been summarily executed as a Drum Corps along with many others in Open Class. These 2 Corps Directors were trying to convince the others in a potential G7 grouping of the need to kill off 22 Drum Corps with a quick DCI decision brought about by a G7 threat of intimidation tactics they hoped would beat the other DCI Corps Directors into submission to adopt their measures.... or else. But the TOC format and the Open Class competing with World Class at Finals was a 1 year compromise. I agree with you that what will happen next year will be determined in this offseason. But whatever is decided on, will be decided upon by the full DCI membership, not a cadre of Corps Directors acting on their own. They will either learn to abide by the rules of DCI, as voted on and agreed to, or they will have to decide for themselves to leave. From day one of DCI, these have ALWAYS been the rules . Thats not going to change. 1 Corps... 1 vote. DCI does not have 2 Corps, 3 Corps, 7 Corps, or 8 Corps. It has 41 Corps. Maybe all the Corps don't all have the same talent and abilities. But their vote is the same. And thats NOT going to change from what I'm hearing. So it'll be a most interesting off season to see what happens. The fact that DCI has a new Executive Board of Directors in which membership replaced these plotters on the Executive Board, and gave a vote of confidence to the current Executive Director ( the 2 plotters wanted replaced ) is a healthy sign to me that some degree of control and stability has been established now by the full DCI membership body.

Edited by BRASSO

From the Roundtable forum -

Answer: (from Dan Acheson, DCI Executive Director and CEO)

The 2011 DCI Tour of Champions will be comprised of a series of eight events featuring the eight top corps from the 2010 World Championships.

There has been no determination as to whether or not the events will continue in 2012 or how the corps will be selected if there should be another series. These are discussions that will be held later in 2011.

There has been no determination as to whether or not the events will continue in 2012 or how the corps will be selected if there should be another series. These are discussions that will be held later in 2011.

Doug Gottlieb from ESPN is reporting today that the Texas AM Band will be part of the TOC expansion for next season.

• Like 2

Referring to the OP, I haven't heard any of those rumors (but what do I know?). From what I've heard before reading this thread The G8 are the previous year's top 8 corps regardless of anything else, and I think that's the way it should be. Boston definitely deserves a spot with the big dogs, they've been improving dramatically since 2008 and were technically already in the G8 after the 2009 season. I'll even go as far as to call that they will stay in the G8 next year too, regardless of whether they're in the TOC or not.

And even if they aren't put in, the Blue Stars should be out. No offense to them, I have two friends that marched with them this year and I loved their show, but scores are scores. If Boston and Madison aren't going to get worse and the Blue Knights keep improving, the Blue Stars aren't getting back in too soon.

No one in any official capacity is committing to even that definition...Therefore, even the latest definition of who comprises the G8 is nothing more than mere speculation...I will say though that there is not much that is going to be easily swept under the carpet now...The drum corps community is much more vigilant and aware now than it has ever been and I'm sure that is going to continue for quite some time and into the future.

• Like 3

I will say though that there is not much that is going to be easily swept under the carpet now...The drum corps community is much more vigilant and aware now than it has ever been and I'm sure that is going to continue for quite some time and into the future.

Absolutely. Transparancy is a good thing indeed, Liahona. 'Well said.

From day one of DCI, these have ALWAYS been the rules . Thats not going to change. 1 Corps... 1 vote. DCI does not have 2 Corps, 3 Corps, 7 Corps, or 8 Corps. It has 41 Corps. Maybe all the Corps don't all have the same talent and abilities. But their vote is the same. And thats NOT going to change from what I'm hearing. So it'll be a most interesting off season to see what happens. The fact that DCI has a new Executive Board of Directors in which membership replaced these plotters on the Executive Board, and gave a vote of confidence to the current Executive Director ( the 2 plotters wanted replaced ) is a healthy sign to me that some degree of control and stability has been established now by the full DCI membership body.

The biggest question is how loyal the TOC corps are to DCI. They've established they can draw big crowds to shows they organize. So if they threaten to leave DCI altogether, how will the board and the rest of the corps react to that? I agree that BD and Cadets couldn't pull it off on their own, so the question is, how do Phantom and Crown and Cavies and SCV and Bluecoats feel about it? Whether or not they actually leave, could they use the threat of leaving to get concessions in terms of performance fees or revenue cuts or voting power or OC support?

None of this has to happen right away, either. This is a long game. Hopkins has been pushing for this vision of a handful of elite corps that get most of the money and have most of the control for nearly two decades now...

Doug Gottlieb from ESPN is reporting today that the Texas AM Band will be part of the TOC expansion for next season.

The TOC goes back before 2004. read/goggle TOC SCV fedlers interview.

I think saying "corps x deserves to be in the TOC because they have a larger fan base and can bring in more money" doesn't make any sense, because of this:

Out of the 5 TOC shows this season, and I believe they were at Giants Stadium, Ft. Mill, Murfreesboro, Rockford, IL and Cypress, TX, 2 of those places were so small that there were people literally sitting in the end zone, 2 of them was decently large enough, but they still sold out all the seats,

and the one that WAS large enough was at Giants Stadium, which I think was a really good venue, and they sold their seats plus they had a couple left over.

They've been pretty much completely selling out, and then some, so no more fan base is really needed. And I think they need to find some larger venues if they are thinking of doing this. The venues at Ft. Mill and Rockford were just ridiculously small for a competition of that caliber. It was almost a joke. Parking was a nightmare for both the fans and the corps.

• Like 1

Ugh. As if im not having to read enough of that mess elsewhere.

(currently the second longest thread in board history on another site im on)

A ton of parallels between the G-7 and some areas of college football right now..