Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

Whether the figures are posted or not, accurate or not, who gives a rat's a--? Will not having that information change anyone's enjoyment of this niche activity?

Obviously it shouldn't.

But if nobody should care about the figures at all, then there'd be no reason for DCI to release them in the first place.

Whether the figures are posted or not, accurate or not, who gives a rats asss? Will not having that information change anyone's enjoyment of this niche activity?

Exactly.

"DCI said attendance was 25,000. To me, it looked more like 24,500. Therefore, drum corps is dying, and there is no reason to ever attend another show." :tongue:

• Like 3

It is DCI itself that invites discussions of its attendance, as they themselves produce their attendance results and almost immediately in the same news release DCI will invariably compare those DCI released results with other years for comparison. Usually however, they compare these results with their most recent years results.

I think for a basis of a civil discussion on this thread topic that has to do with DCI attendance, we should all be able to start from the beginning point that DCI produces honest and truthful attendance results. Every year. That would make for a good beginning point it would seem to me. Now, that being said, if there are posters here that have their sources that are telling them that the numbers are not legit, or they are exaggerated, or they have 2 sets of numbers, or whatever, then the onus should be on the conspiratists to convince us as to what year DCI did not produce honest and truthful attendance figures, why it was done, and by how much their source's figures were off from what DCI produced as their attendance figures for that year. If they can't do that in a convincing and persuasive way, then those bogus claims should automatically be rejected out of hand, and we accept the DCI attendance figures as unimpeachable, and acceptable as produced by DCI. This would seem like a common sense, rationale approach to me. Otherwise, we'll get bogged down here on all sorts of wild and ridiculous further claims of DCI cooking the numbers on fan attendance for one reason or another, on some year or another. And then things tend to unravel quickly here when such ridiculous claims are made that DCI intentionally, or unintentionally, may not, or does not, produce accurate and truthful attendance figures to the public.

Edited by BRASSO

Obviously it shouldn't.

But if nobody should care about the figures at all, then there'd be no reason for DCI to release them in the first place.

There are only three ways to objectively measure interest: money generated, active corps participation, and attendance at events. We know there are a lot fewer corps active today than a decade or more ago, but that's a function of cost, not interest. The money isn't comparable either because there are different revenue streams now than there were before (corporate sponsorship being one). So the only thing we can argue about is how many people showed up.

I once attended a Braves game where the announced attendance was ~22,000. We looked around the stadium and estimated about 5,000 people were actually there. There were an awful lot of paying customers there dressed as empty seats! :notify:

• Like 1

I once attended a Braves game where the announced attendance was ~22,000. We looked around the stadium and estimated about 5,000 people were actually there. There were an awful lot of paying customers there dressed as empty seats! :notify:

If I correctly understand some people on these forums, merely by mentioning that discrepancy, you're claiming that Major League Baseball is dying.

If I correctly understand some people on these forums, merely by mentioning that discrepancy, you're claiming that Major League Baseball is dying.

oh boy, lets not go there... we'll get this thread topic hijacked in a flash.

Not at all unusual for attendance at a MLB game to be much less than what is announced. The announced figure includes those who have season tickets and decide not to attend. As a season goes on a team may not pan out to be as competitive as hoped. Often those season ticket holders (thousands) decide not to go to every game.

Not at all unusual for attendance at a MLB game to be much less than what is announced. The announced figure includes those who have season tickets and decide not to attend. As a season goes on a team may not pan out to be as competitive as hoped. Often those season ticket holders (thousands) decide not to go to every game.

And many give away tickets to some games.

But is it unusual for attendance at DCI finals week to be much less than what is announced? Isn't it reasonable that that's not the case? There are no "season tickets" in drum corps; the closest would be Friends seats, but the vast majority of those show up to every event. In fact, it's not usual at all that a ticket-holder for any drum corps show would not use it. There are the unusual exceptions, of course.

And Ghost, we already know who gets free tickets to finals week, but the discussion is about paid attendance.

Only if you're a Phillies fan this year. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring