JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

SPOON!

Spoon was an awesome guy and never spoke much (unless he was learning japanese) and just, point blank, worked his butt off all summer long.

I'm glad to be in that same group with spoon. I wish we had marched the green team together (he marched 98 or 99), as well as Regiment. If there had been more guys like him there, I probably would have stuck around. (I kid!)

We had a guy who marched in Phantom and Cavies too back in '90. I don't remember his name but he played contra.

Edited by jjeffeory

I do understand why someone would march in PR. I'm related to someone who DID. And I went to high school under a director who marched several years with the Cavaliers. So I've heard plenty of talk/stories about both and how things went.

Being treated like #### isn't one of the reasons my relative marched PR. And it hasn't been with any of the other PR members I've met as a result of that connection. Being pushed hard WAS a reason, along with loving PR's music tradition. I get that. But as I said, getting pushed hard and being treated like crap aren't inseparable by any means.

And yeah, I am a fan of the "Rosemont way". My marching career began under a successful high school rendition of it, and my college band had a similar mentality. Are those the same as the actual system and in a summer of drum corps? No, of course not, but it certainly worked in those settings. And when the Cavaliers have fallen out of the top 3 ONE TIME in 13 seasons, I think it's safe to say it works for the Cavaliers too.

Explain to me how it wouldn't work with Regiment while still preserving all of their great tradition and attitude. I freely admit my evidence is anecdotal, but it was pretty consistently so.

I don't know if your friend would appreciate that you are rampantly posting what they shared with you about their experience on these boards. In any case, at this point it's anecdotal evidence of one member, and you keep saying things as if you are in the "know". Just because you heard it from maybe a few members, doesn't mean you know everything about the drum corps and how it runs.

Did those things happen? Probably. I would say in most corps, someone will have a bad experience or not so great times. You paint a picture that the visual caption heads always yell at the top of their lungs at the members, and that is simply not the case. Where one member had a bad experience, another member the experience of a lifetime. Does that justify the wrongs? Not exactly, but my point is that Regiment is not always "bad".

In fact, I find it incredibly rude and disturbing that this topic has shifted to bashing the visual program. To say that they haven't been successful in feet at all and they are terrible teachers is appalling. Never in any activity have I met so many "experts" on how to properly march and how to properly play. If you're so great at it, please help out at a drum corps of your choice.

In the mean time, please stop this nonsense. G'day.

Edited by qwerty543
  • Like 4

I don't know if your friend would appreciate that you are rampantly posting what they shared with you about their experience on these boards.

They're actually fully aware of it. They also think DCP is worthless garbage, so they don't care.

In any case, at this point it's anecdotal evidence of one member, and you keep saying things as if you are in the "know". Just because you heard it from maybe a few members, doesn't mean you know everything about the drum corps and how it runs.

Nope, sure doesn't. Never said I did.

Did those things happen? Probably. I would say in most corps, someone will have a bad experience or not so great times. You paint a picture that the visual caption heads always yell at the top of their lungs at the members,

Do I? I just said it happens/happened, and implied that it isn't all that rare. And rare should be about as frequent as such behavior should in such a setting, IN MY OPINION. That is not saying it is all they know how to do.

and that is simply not the case. Where one member had a bad experience, another member the experience of a lifetime. Does that justify the wrongs? Not exactly, but my point is that Regiment is not always "bad".

Never said it was. And I've said multiple times in this thread alone that my relative had an oustanding overall time in PR.

In fact, I find it incredibly rude and disturbing that this topic has shifted to bashing the visual program. To say that they haven't been successful in feet at all and they are terrible teachers is appalling. Never in any activity have I met so many "experts" on how to properly march and how to properly play. If you're so great at it, please help out at a drum corps of your choice.

Who said Regiment has never been successful in feet? And how is claiming to be an expert on how to properly march and play? The debate has centered around behavior towards human beings.

In the mean time, please stop this nonsense. G'day.

I'm not sure I'm aware of who put you in charge of dictating discussion around here.

Thank you for all the strawmen. Maybe it would have helped if you'd actually read the entire thread before choosing to go on your tirade. G'day to you too.

Edited by PhantomCav
  • Like 3

Sorry to hear that JD Shaw is leaving the Regiment.............he is a GREAT arranger (and there are not that many at the moment) and did some fabulous work.............his

replacement will have some big shoes to fill...........

I do have to chime in about all the talk about instructor demeanor. I do agree that it is not good to freak out on an individual and degrade or humiliate that person in front of the entire drum corps.....If there is a major problem with an individual, it should be talked out privately in a "how do we fix things" mode. However, I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing for an instructor to become a bit "emotional", "animated", or even a bit "upset", as long as comments are directed at the group or section as opposed to an individual, and it shouldn't be a regular thing. I appreciate an "engaged" instructor who "tells it like it is" and doesn't necessarily "sugar coat" everything. However, if that person doesn't also commend the group or individual on improvement or a fine job....that is no good, either.

Back in the late 70's, a highly ranked corps, who I will leave nameless, camped at my high school the day before DCI East. I was actually competing in a corps against them the next day, and had to get to rehearsal that night, but I did catch a runthrough before I had to leave. Their brass instructor is a Hall of Famer, who I will leave nameless.....

He used his bullhorn to stop them in the middle of the opener. "If that's the way you are going to play it tomorrow, then we might as well go the F... home! Now, SET IT UP AGAIN AND PLAY THE F___N CHART THE WAY I F_____N WROTE IT!!!!! The locals were freaked!! (lol....and there were many there watching). My mom was frozen, and my dad looked at me and said.."he seems to be a little upset with them". I said, "that would seem to be the case". "Do your instructors ever get that upset"? "Sometimes...."

"What effect do you think what he said will have"? "I guess we'll see"...........

They set it up again and blew the roof off the place. The instructor replied with 3 words..."much better.....proceed". They won East prelims the next day.............and I doubt that any of the members were upset that the instructor "lit a fire under their a.." the night before............

The instructor perceived that the corps was simply going through the motions and wasn't giving their all in the runthrough, and he called them out (yea, maybe a bit "colorfully")

on it. But they knew what he wanted, and gave it in spades after he let them know he didn't want a partial effort. I would be surprised if anyone was really upset about it, and probably laugh about it now, if they remember at all. I would also bet that after meeting this individual once, that he had a good personal rapport with the members of his brass section.

GB

• Like 5

I do have to chime in about all the talk about instructor demeanor. I do agree that it is not good to freak out on an individual and degrade or humiliate that person in front of the entire drum corps.....If there is a major problem with an individual, it should be talked out privately in a "how do we fix things" mode. However, I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing for an instructor to become a bit "emotional", "animated", or even a bit "upset", as long as comments are directed at the group or section as opposed to an individual, and it shouldn't be a regular thing. I appreciate an "engaged" instructor who "tells it like it is" and doesn't necessarily "sugar coat" everything. However, if that person doesn't also commend the group or individual on improvement or a fine job....that is no good, either.

YES. Thank you. That sums up my feelings on all of this pretty concisely (something I'm not very good at!)

And that 70s story is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Marched 4 years with PR, never saw anything to the point of what is being discussed.

• Like 3

Nah! I just can't think of anyone who marched green team and white team in the last 12 years, besides us and a tenor player who marched like 03 or 05?

Um...I did.

Thank you for all the strawmen. Maybe it would have helped if you'd actually read the entire thread before choosing to go on your tirade. G'day to you too.

You aren't promoting discussion, you're promoting flaming of the corps whether you realize it or not.

The very fact you are so adamant about it means you want your voice to be heard. What are you accomplishing by voicing this concern? Raising awareness? I don't see how it isn't negative. You're coming off as this guy that pretends to know what he is talking about to prove a point about your philosophy. At who's expense though?

Edited by qwerty543
  • Like 1

You aren't promoting discussion, you're promoting flaming of the corps whether you realize it or not.

No, actually I'm not. Just because you're continually drawing more out of my words than what I've actually said (due to over-sensitivity, perhaps?) doesn't make your perception the actual reality.

If anything, I'm "promoting" criticism of some of the staff. You know, the paid professionals who have their jobs because kids are forking over thousands of dollars so they can march and compete? I don't think their methods should be off the table of discussion on a discussion board designed to discuss all things related to DCI. If they don't like it, perhaps the end result should be them doing some self-evaluation. But my guess is they don't give two ##### what a DCP poster says about them. That's their full prerogative.

And the corps is much bigger than the staff. I've also been pretty clear about that. Where have I even hinted that I think someone should not go march Phantom Regiment if that's the corps they feel drawn to? I've iterated several times that my relative loved PR. They'd go back in a heartbeat if they actually could. But loving the corps and their overall experience doesn't remove one's ability to still have criticisms and grievances about particular areas, does it?

• Like 2

Interesting thread, so we have decided that JD quit because of the way the visual staff treats the marchers, cool, glad we figured it out here

So all those other years JD was cool with the visual staff ‘abusing’ the marchers, what changed with JD then? Is it true, as told to me by a relative of my fourth cousins’ nephew best friend’s sister’s ex-fiancé that he was abducted by aliens and implanted with a peaceful, pacifist probe while on tour in Alabama this summer?

• Like 2