JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

He'd be a great caption head. They would definitely have a different sound than they do now with him at the helm.

Odd question... did he write the Memphis Sound book when he was there?

yep

JD to Vanguard with Rennick???

Z

You never know. Seems like JD's goodbye was rather short. Would love to know "the story behind the story". Maybe he knew he was on the way out and PR has someone already lined up.

A loss for Regiment (would be a loss for any corps). I bet a million people would want this job!

I tried, but they told me no. I guess my time as JD's seat partner didn't impress them.

So where is Shaw going to next? And why would he leave Phantom? There has to be a reason for it.

He writes really good stuff, very good arranger, very good with harmony.

Did he write the 2003 show?

Yep. J.D. was the head brass arranger from 2002-2011 for Phantom (per his FB page).

My sadness isn't for Phantom, it's that I may not hear any more arrangements from the best in the biz (IMO). Selfish, I know, but I truly hope he turns up somewhere else in DCI.

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1

My sadness isn't for Phantom, it's that I may not hear any more arrangements from the best in the biz (IMO). Selfish, I know, but I truly hope he turns up somewhere else in DCI.

If anything, maybe this move isn't about arranging. JD had a lot of administrative leeway with brass staffing and programming. Two things that haven't exactly been "rockin and rollin" at the level the corps expects, for a while now.

• Like 2

I don't think that would be the reason, I mean, if you have someone writing your brass book that is extremely good at what they do, you can't expect them to also be good at administrative things, or putting together a staff, or whatever. Some of these techs and interns are amateurs at best, it is tough to find underlings that are 1)still young and 2) already good teachers.

So I doubt they would say goodbye to Shaw because he hired crappy interns, if that is what you were trying to point out. He shouldn't have had that responsibility in the first place.

A lot of corps are lucky if they get their music arranger to be with them on tour a lot of the time anyway.

If he wrote Phantom's brass from 2002-present, then he's been extremely successful. A championship in 2008, top 4 for multiple years, and even Into The Light was a very beautifully written show, even if they only took 6th.

I instinct is telling me he probably wanted a change, maybe even a break from drum corps. Tour takes a toll on people, and he may just have wanted to take it easy in the next year or two. Who knows?

In any case, I hope he keeps writing.