Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

Limits define what we are. It distinguishes one group from another group. A Fife and Drum Corps is different from a Drum and Bugle Corps is different than a British Brass Band is different from The Ohio State Marching Band is different from a general marching band. All of these groups have limits on age, instrumentation, and style making them special.

Now, there's no need to have limits, but understand that without limits it is difficult to make distinctions

To my grandma, and most of the know universe, they are all simply kids playing instruments, marching around in funny hats.

Drum corps entusiasts are hung up on examining brush strokes while everyone else is simply enjoying great paintings. These distinctions matter very little in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Me! I'll raise my hand too

...and disagree with you! Mic'd soloists aren't necessary in a dome unless it's a woodwind instrument. I could hear a trumpet solo from 20 yards behind the soloist in the dome, no problem. I'm positive the people he was pointing to could hear him even better. It's not a big deal, but I don't agree with your logic.

Agreed....I would also point out that noone seemed to have a problem hearing Charlie's Bari solo for Boston. He was NOT amped, btw.

To my grandma, and most of the known universe, they are all simply kids playing instruments, marching around in funny hats.

Drum corps entusiasts are hung up on examining brush strokes while everyone else is simply enjoying great paintings. These distinctions matter very little in the grand scheme of things.

That's easy to say about most any music. From pretty much any grandma's perspective, all that music that those young people are listening to is just crap.

The limitless, no rules, vision can easily be taken too far and just muddies things.

I'm not against having corps do side gigs. They could do something totally different on the side, but for DCI competition there are set rules which must be followed. If corps want to experiment, do it as a second and third thing in addition to, NOT in place of DCI.

It's not the brush strokes that I care about, it's like looking at paintings versus painted sculpture to me. They're both painted, they're both art, but they are different.

• Like 3

To my grandma, and most of the know universe, they are all simply kids playing instruments, marching around in funny hats.

You think so? Those same people examining every brush stroke are the ones that will pay 100,000 times more for the painting.

• 12 years later...

Ok, like the bank robber dude said in Dirty Harry, "I gots to know". What is this? A bot thing where every time bodhran is mentioned in a 13 year old thread, that thread gets resurrected? 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Ok, like the bank robber dude said in Dirty Harry, "I gots to know". What is this? A bot thing where every time bodhran is mentioned in a 13 year old thread, that thread gets resurrected? 

Necro thread....

hit the report button. i did

Killed the bot, I did