Officially announced. Cavaliers have a new visual designer.

This make me sad. I'm sure The Cavaliers will be fine, but I have SO MUCH respect for the work Mr. Gaines has done over the years. I thought his design was brilliant, and I will really miss seeing it on the field every year. I certainly wish him all the best.

completely honest, my first reaction was "OH NO!" but then i stepped back and really analyzed the situation.

There is no doubt that Gaines is one of the best...but then I started to really think about it and take a long look at the Cavaliers shows from recent years and came to the conclusion that maybe it is time to move in a new direction.

Let me explain.

2000-2004: some of, if not the best and most innovative drill in the activity. By far Gaines best years!

2005: didnt really care for the program that year, so that was a "meh" year for me

2006: not only great drill but a strong overall concept

2007: program and drill "meh"

2008: loved this show some great drill moments and loved the programming

2009: didnt like anything about this show including the drill

2010 and 2011: some great drill moments and staging, but overall i think it was the the theme/concept that really sold theses shows, not necessarily the drill.

My point is, I think the past few years while the design team has pushed the limits on show design I think the drill writing has become too stagnant and predictable, Dont take this wrong, still incredible, but predictable for the Cavaliers. This year during Xtraordinary, it was the first time that I really felt like I ve seen this drill too many times from the men. And when the Samurai jump was brought into the ending I remember thinking to myself, this is cool, but I wish something new was created.

While change can be scary, it can be exciting as well. I know Hinshaw in the past has worked with Scott Koter and Sheldon Apo so they are familiar, and Tommy Allen will be collaborating directly with him as well.

Much thanks to Michael for his many, many years of excellence. But a fresh view may be what the Cavies need to bring home that ellusive 8th Championship.

Next on DCI's headlines: "Vanguard would like to welcome Michael Gaines to their 2012 visual staff..." (take this lightly)

• Like 4

can't believe there is a chance we may be a combination of jd shaw music with michael gaines drill.... never quite thought of those as peanut better and jelly (a good combination style wise) ... more like pizza and ice cream... two very very good things, but maybe not together.

that being said, their product would still be great if it happens, just curious to see how the drill will compliment jds style of writing.

Ridiculous assumption right here. Why would Gaines go down ladder instead of continuing up? Another reason why it annoys me when people think they know what they're talking about.

Anyways, thank you Michael Gaines for the amazing and sometimes ridiculously hard drill you gave us. You are one of the most influental people i've met in this activity as well as the most talented. Nobody could touch your drill design.

Edited by YogiBear
  • Like 3

Ridiculous assumption right here. Why would Gaines go down ladder instead of continuing up? Another reason why it annoys me when people think they know what they're talking about.

Anyways, thank you Michael Gaines for the amazing and sometimes ridiculously hard drill you gave us. You are one of the most influental people i've met in this activity as well as the most talented. Nobody could touch your drill design.

chill out dude, it's just band. notice I said 'if it happens'...

and i was referring to rumors on DCP that were swirling last week... look up the thread, of him going to vanguard... this announcement just made it seem more likely.

k?

• Like 2

Best of luck to Gaines. Hands down, the most influential drill writer of this past decade.

Looking forward to seeing "new blood" take the reigns and what they put on the field. Some rather large shoes to fill.

• Like 1

I'm betting the Vanguard will be making an announcement in the near future!

Duh! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

chill out dude, it's just band. notice I said 'if it happens'...

and i was referring to rumors on DCP that were swirling last week... look up the thread, of him going to vanguard... this announcement just made it seem more likely.

k?

Believe me when i say that me and everyone i marched with sees this as just marching band. So i'm not getting bent out of shape like you think.

• Like 1

Why? Because there is no room up the ladder.

Cadets- No, They have Sacktig

Devils- NFW! But, I would love to see devils do that much marching.

Cavies- Just left there.

Crown- That would be interesting! But, their team is set.

Everybody else is below the ladder

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 2