Madison Scouts 2012

so you like violating DCP's guidelines and being a troll. Duly noted for the mods. Enjoy your stay while you can

I have enjoyed my 10 year stay, Jeff.

As long as there is some value to a poster's comments (i.e. not "eff the cadets they sucks" in every post), the DCP forum and administration team is very receptive to my type of commentary...or moreso than your implication.

I do realize I walk the line sometimes. I have not been put in a situation where my account status is in question, mostly because the good majority of my posts are grounded in truth or contribute to the discussion.

If you'll notice the start of all of this was genuinely me not thinking Madison is an overwhelming crowd favorite this last season. I didn't even go as far to say they weren't the crowd favorite, I'm just saying it wasn't to the extent that it has been portrayed in this thread. A large chunk of people last season criticized the show (actually not much on my part) and they were responded to equally; even those who do not have a reputation like my own.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 2

No problem. When there is valid criticism, I usually agree with it. And I'm glad

the staff usually does too. It is impossible or very hard to grow and improve

if you get pissy or defensive when criticized. It may sting at first, but if you

take a step back and look at it objectively, there is usually some validity to it.

It doesn't mean the Corps sucks or that somebody hates them,(and really, so what if they do?) it just means that

there is a percieved weakness in part of the program. Even though GTC's comment

could be taken as him being snide or being a smart a##, I see no malice in it.

Hell, I talk like that to my friends every day and they just give me s### right back, they

don't whine and complain about me being mean to them. Sorry for the lecture, off my soap box now. ;)

You're a beacon of hope in a sea of madmen madness :-)

• Like 3

You're a beacon of hope in a sea of madmen madness :-)

Whatever, dude. Every corps has their honks. Crown honks, for instance, being among the most annoying and vocal. The Scouts tend to stay in their thread and not run around beating their chests in other threads. The same can't be said for most other corps fans.

As to GTC's comments in this thread, I've said it before and I'll say it again...I hate the Bluecoats with a passion. I haven't enjoyed a product they've put on the field since Night in Tunesia. I find them gimmicky and boring. I especially can't stand when people rave about them as if they're something special. I literally couldn't be happier than if they closed up shop tomorrow and were never heard from again and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.

HOWEVER, despite my feelings about the Bluecoats, I have never felt the need to open a Bluecoats thread and post negative things or troll their fan base. I get no satisfaction from it. In other words, I'm not a dick about it.

Don't be a dick.

• Like 8

Whatever, dude. Every corps has their honks. Crown honks, for instance, being among the most annoying and vocal. The Scouts tend to stay in their thread and not run around beating their chests in other threads. The same can't be said for most other corps fans.

As to GTC's comments in this thread, I've said it before and I'll say it again...I hate the Bluecoats with a passion. I haven't enjoyed a product they've put on the field since Night in Tunesia. I find them gimmicky and boring. I especially can't stand when people rave about them as if they're something special. I literally couldn't be happier than if they closed up shop tomorrow and were never heard from again and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.

HOWEVER, despite my feelings about the Bluecoats, I have never felt the need to open a Bluecoats thread and post negative things or troll their fan base. I get no satisfaction from it. In other words, I'm not a dick about it.

Don't be a dick.

Exactly this attitude that draw the ire of so many DCP posters.

IMO most posters on DCP are *drum corps* fans first and then *xyz corps* fans second. They talk about ALL the corps -- not just their favorites. They have both positive and negative things to say -- not just flowers and hearts and super hype.

And that's works pretty well for the most part -- except for Madison fans who feel they have exclusive rights to discuss "their corps", react out of all proportion to any comment that might be the least bit critical, etc... The Madison thread is for *all* of DCP to discuss Madison.

First DCI souvie I ever bought was from Madison. My daughter swore she was gonna be the first girl to march there. I have pix of her (1996 - 5 years old) and some random Scout sop (had to be 6'6" -- he was taller than me) we stopped in 96 at East for a pic. Nice kid -- stopped and talked for a bit. I've *always* liked how Madison played the game and put entertainment first.

But a small group of "FANS" on DCP decided I must secretly hate Madison and are pretty silly red button pushers on every post I make. Seems silly but those folks actually changed how I feel about the corps a bit.

But *I* am the one pissing in your cornflakes?

OOOk.

Unlike you, I don't "hate" any corps. Was never really a honk for any corps 'til my kid started marching. Have a little fun honking here but I'd disagree that Crown honks are the most vocal on DCP. Not by a long shot.

Anyway my post was directed to Jeff -- not you. He's pretty much the only hard core Madison poster who doesn't turn red with the first critical post. I respect him a lot for it.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

um...there are many types of effect. Now...do you happen to know if GE judges throw babies when they do that? I'd say looking at the scores, quite possibly they aren't.

Well, if you look at Music Effect sheets for BD the past five years, last year were their lowest two placements, 4th/3rd (Scouts were 8th/10th). From 2007-2010, they were 1st on five sheets and 2nd on two (2008). BTW...Scouts were never higher than 9th on any Music Effect sheet in that timeframe.

don't confuse general effect as defined by the sheets to as to what appeals to fans.

also, to counter your BD vs. Madison argument, lets look at what they both do during that time. Odds are, given recent arranging trends, Madison has let a musical phrase fully develop before they get to the park and blast moment...maybe they do a little body with it. BD probably had several counts of travelling music to build to the hit, which is also layered to death with body.

Now THAT is a highly slanted description of one corps you like and one you do not, based on your history of posting. Hardly an unbiased opinion. Both corps create entertaining shows with differing approaches. I like both...sometimes I enjoy the Scouts more than BD and vice versa...sometimes pretty even, depending on the year and particular show.

now for BD, that may translate to GE on the sheets, but not mass appeal. There is a difference. Learn the sheets, you may learn something

I'd say he knows the sheets quite well, as do the BD.

• Like 1

Well, if you look at Music Effect sheets for BD the past five years, last year were their lowest two placements, 4th/3rd (Scouts were 8th/10th). From 2007-2010, they were 1st on five sheets and 2nd on two (2008). BTW...Scouts were never higher than 9th on any Music Effect sheet in that timeframe.

Now THAT is a highly slanted description of one corps you like and one you do not, based on your history of posting. Hardly an unbiased opinion. Both corps create entertaining shows with differing approaches. I like both...sometimes I enjoy the Scouts more than BD and vice versa...sometimes pretty even, depending on the year and particular show.

I'd say he knows the sheets quite well, as do the BD.

my post was far from a BD bash Mike. And actually your recitation of the GE music scores proves my point: fans may love Madisons park and barks, but it doesnt equal GE points.

thanks for trying tho. As I sit here listening to BD 06, I'm glad to be labeled a hater of a corps I've bought a lot of stuff from over the years. I guess to make the day fun I'll go throw Madison 2011 in...another corps I've bought a ton of stuff from.

(see what happens when you label....funny you think I hate BD because of "recent posting history". Go see how I've been to the Crossmen for several years....and...gasp...they are my all time favorite DCI corps. Which reminds me, I may need to jam on 92 Bones later)

• Like 2

So I found this link on Face Book promoting the Scouts Honor Documentary...in certain

parts, you can hear the current hornline playing "Promanade" and "Great Gate of

Keiv". Sounds nice and lush...can't wait to hear the music that's inside the frame

of Pictures! Oh, an I also can't wait to see the finished product of the film. :)

• Like 3

my post was far from a BD bash Mike. And actually your recitation of the GE music scores proves my point: fans may love Madisons park and barks, but it doesnt equal GE points.

thanks for trying tho. As I sit here listening to BD 06, I'm glad to be labeled a hater of a corps I've bought a lot of stuff from over the years. I guess to make the day fun I'll go throw Madison 2011 in...another corps I've bought a ton of stuff from.

I was responding to this...

um...there are many types of effect. Now...do you happen to know if GE judges throw babies when they do that? I'd say looking at the scores, quite possibly they aren't.

(see what happens when you label....funny you think I hate BD because of "recent posting history". Go see how I've been to the Crossmen for several years....and...gasp...they are my all time favorite DCI corps. Which reminds me, I may need to jam on 92 Bones later)

As for 'hate'...note that I did not use the word "hate" at all.

Your own slanted description of BD's show design approach and Madison's show design approach are evidence enough of your thoughts about what BD does. You did not even try to make it balanced, which is fine.

• Like 1