D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

I think Howard would love it! He does have intellect you know! He is smart enough to see talent. Look at some of the stuff that made it in last year....a guy diving into a pool, motor cycles that go around in a caged globe, a couple who do quick change.....The Edge who can play ballads, pop songs, classical, jazz, rock, etc. If you have watched the show then you would get it! You think Dave and Joey haven't looked into all of that?

• Like 2

It's DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS! Plain and simple. It isn't DCA vs. DCI, Young vs. Old, Them vs. Us. It's the activity and that's all! Some of you people are so far gone I am surprised they let you on DCP. In fact I am surprised no one from DCP has chimed in to silence you.

A history lesson is needed here. Wasn't drum corps started by men returning from war? Adults? Junior corps came to fruition and TODAY we have all kinds of drum corps and it's all over the world!DCI, DCA, Alumni, Mini Corps, etc.

Drum Corps is Drum Corps so stop the petty poop that you are spewing and either support it or go away.

Then why do we put so much effort into evaluating and ranking? I'm dead serious. If you knew me, you'd know that I'd be first in line to vote for getting rid of the judges!

Posts of this ilk ("Can't we all just ride the peace bus, love each other and dream about unicorns?") make me wonder what parallel universe I'm living in.

Yes, ALL drum corps have merit! ALL drum corps have VALUE. ALL drum corps experiences are VALID and WORTHWHILE.

Pioneer 2011 = Cadets 2011 = All drum corps of All time Everywhere! We get it!!

However, NOT all drum corps are equally excellent. Our entire system is based on making that precise determination, as objectively as possible.

If DCP wishes to silence those of us willing to point out the "variation in excellence" from one drum corps performance to another, so be it.

• Like 2

Look, I hope they do well and have fun. I just don't want the viewing public (or at least the very small number of people who watch NBC) to think that drum corps is "adults doing marching band," because that's not the image I have or that I want other people to have.

This might allay your fear and concern :In 1996, The Cadets Drum Corps participated in a Marching Band comic skit at the 1996 Olympics Opening Ceremony. It was presumably seen by millions of world wide watchers on world wide TV. The schtick involved a guest appearance by a Comedian who took the role of " Adult Marching Band with Adult Drum Major with Baton and Whistle". The focus on the gig was totally on him, and young Cadets were essentially his foil... his prop if you will.... to do his comic gig of a geeky, thick glasses wearing, incompetent marching, Adult Marching Band Drum Major. It was not The Cadets " Marching Band " that got the applause primarily. It was the Comedien, as the entire camera focus was on him in both close ups and in distant camera angles. People world wide laughed heartily at this Marching Band gig. It was really funny. It was not a serious presentation at all. Nor was it meant to be. The 1996 Ollympics performing Cadets " Marching Band " was not effected one iota when it then returned later to its " Drum Corps " status, and returned to DCI competing " Drum Corps ". Nor was the DCI organization, fans, effected in any way either. The Cadets did not leave an image in the mind of TV viewers that had negative effect on "Drum Corps", or DCI. ( if anything at all, this marching band skit with the incompetent geeky DM most likely only reinforced the unfortunate ( and inaccurate ) prevailing negative stereotype of " Marching Band " performers with many in the unknowing public that watched the skit.... and even THATS a stretch on its overall impact. ) Not a soul mentioned a thing about The Cadets Drum Corps contribution to a potential reinforcement of the negative stereotyping of Marching Band performers either.Nor should they. The Cadets wern't repesenting the Drum Corps activity " image ", nor the Marching Band activity " image " either. Thats nonsense. I would imagine this performance by The Edge will have no impact on the purity of the excellence of the future DCI Cadets nor the other Drum Corps. Nor their fans, nor with the TV viewers of " America's Got Talent " either. Theres' nothing to be concerned or feared here, regarding the impact on the Drum Corps activity's " image ". As Shakespeare wrote, " This is all sound and fury,..in the end, representing nothing ".

Edited by BRASSO

Can't wait to see The Edge WOW the judges and America. Then I want to hear from these naysayers.

• Like 3

nm

Edited by BRASSO

This might allay your fear and concern :In 1996, The Cadets Drum Corps participated in a Marching Band comic skit at the 1996 Olympics Opening Ceremony. It was presumably seen by millions of world wide watchers on world wide TV. The schtick involved a guest appearance by a Comedian who took the role of " Adult Marching Band with Adult Drum Major with Baton and Whistle". The focus on the gig was totally on him, and young Cadets were essentially his foil... his prop if you will.... to do his comic gig of a geeky, thick glasses wearing, incompetent marching, Adult Marching Band Drum Major. It was not The Cadets " Marching Band " that got the applause primarily. It was the Comedien, as the entire camera focus was on him in both close ups and in distant camera angles. People world wide laughed heartily at this Marching Band gig. It was really funny. It was not a serious presentation at all. Nor was it meant to be. The 1996 Ollympics performing Cadets " Marching Band " was not effected one iota when it then returned later to its " Drum Corps " status, and returned to DCI competing " Drum Corps ". Nor was the DCI organization, fans, effected in any way either. The Cadets did not leave an image in the mind of TV viewers that had negative effect on "Drum Corps", or DCI. ( if anything at all, this marching band skit with the incompetent geeky DM most likely only reinforced the unfortunate ( and inaccurate ) prevailing negative stereotype of " Marching Band " performers with many in the unknowing public that watched the skit.... and even THATS a stretch on its overall impact. ) Not a soul mentioned a thing about The Cadets Drum Corps contribution to a potential reinforcement of the negative stereotyping of Marching Band performers either.Nor should they. The Cadets wern't repesenting the Drum Corps activity " image ", nor the Marching Band activity " image " either. Thats nonsense. I would imagine this performance by The Edge will have no impact on the purity of the excellence of the future DCI Cadets nor the other Drum Corps. Nor their fans, nor with the TV viewers of " America's Got Talent " either. Theres' nothing to be concerned or feared here, regarding the impact on the Drum Corps activity's " image ". As Shakespeare wrote, " This is all sound and fury,..in the end, representing nothing ".

You forgot to mention that when the Cadets actually got to perform their 1996 show at the closing ceremonies, they got precisely 6 seconds of on-camera time.

This thread has nothing to do with DCA. But thanks, some of you, for exposing your deep-seeded insecurities about exactly what DCA lacks. :tongue:

More like some of us feel that insulting comments with no basis in fact hurt the entire activity. And some of us have long memories when it comes to remembering from whom those comments come from.

Funny how people will close their eyes to how closely DCI, DCA, Minis, Alumni-types, whatever are related. And how if any one piece goes downhill it hurts the others.

• Like 5

Re-reading through these posts makes me kinda sad.

In general the marching world (believe it or not) is slowly going away and so are great orchestra pieces and composers. In general I think this is a GREAT idea to show the world that drum corps/marching/instrumental music is still here. I'm not saying you have to like what they are doing... but what i'm trying to say is support them for what they are doing.

I actually do hope this group does well! :thumbup:

• Like 2

You got the first (and most important) part of the Shakespeare quote wrong.

• Like 1

Then why do we put so much effort into evaluating and ranking? I'm dead serious. If you knew me, you'd know that I'd be first in line to vote for getting rid of the judges!

Well, here's one " excellent " idea today anyway for performers to bust their tails all winter to eventually criss cross the country in the summer to presumably do 32 non judged exhibitions . Good luck selling this " excellent " idea to kids at off season Drum Corps camps. Given a choice of doing 32 exhibitions in the summer, or painting houses for a few extra bucks in the summer, I'd rather chose the latter. I'd have zero interest in doing exhibitions if I'm young and healthy. But to each his own.

Edited by BRASSO