D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

You got the first (and most important) part of the Shakespeare quote wrong.

This is like asking.."apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play ? "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Well, here's one " excellent " idea today anyway for performers to bust their tails all winter to eventually criss cross the country in the summer to presumably do 32 non judged exhibitions . Good luck selling this " excellent " idea to kids at off season Drum Corps camps. Given a choice of doing 32 exhibitions in the summer, or painting houses for a few extra bucks in the summer, I'd rather chose the latter. I'd have zero interest in doing exhibitions if I'm young and healthy. But to each his own.

OK, so we agree on something: We *need* the competition.

So the next logical question is: Why?

To jump in, competition pushes us to achieve excellence (within the definition (rules and or judging criteria). But don't tell that the current administration or to the soccer moms here where the kids play and everyone gets a trophy.

Defining what gets more credit (making sense(entertainment vs demand vs perfection)). If one can balance the three and do those the best I would think we could probably agree it would be preferred. Judging an art is probably the toughest thing you can do, but why does some art agree to more people than others? IMHO we need to have more field judges and start judging in the press box AND on the field.

Human beings are instinctively competitive. It's in our very nature. Adding a competitive factor to an activity makes it far more interesting, especially when there is some sort of reward or stakes involved. Aristotle defined this in his Eudaimonia as far back as 350 BC.

Maybe the better question to ask is "Why not?"

Edited by Kamarag

Then why do we put so much effort into evaluating and ranking? I'm dead serious. If you knew me, you'd know that I'd be first in line to vote for getting rid of the judges!

Posts of this ilk ("Can't we all just ride the peace bus, love each other and dream about unicorns?") make me wonder what parallel universe I'm living in.

Yes, ALL drum corps have merit! ALL drum corps have VALUE. ALL drum corps experiences are VALID and WORTHWHILE.

Pioneer 2011 = Cadets 2011 = All drum corps of All time Everywhere! We get it!!

However, NOT all drum corps are equally excellent. Our entire system is based on making that precise determination, as objectively as possible.

If DCP wishes to silence those of us willing to point out the "variation in excellence" from one drum corps performance to another, so be it.

Is "excellence" the only thing that fans and members look for in corps? My first few years the corps was rebuilding from scrathc and definitely less than excellent. Went against the top 10 in DCA and regularly got out heads handed to us. So our realistic competeition each week was to beat our score from the week before. If the only thing was to be "excellent" than we never should bothered which would have killed the corps almost winning DCA about 8 years later and winning it more later. Looking for and enjoying excellence is one thing but what about groups that are not in that subjective ideal?

Oh yeah, first year last place at Prelims and 5 seasons later 6th at Finals. At what point were we "excellent" and worthy of any type of consideration?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

To jump in, competition pushes us to achieve excellence (within the definition (rules and or judging criteria). But don't tell that the current administration or to the soccer moms here where the kids play and everyone gets a trophy.

And judging helps the participants a guide on how to improve themselves and to tell if they are improving (see above)....

I think in general its human nature to have competition. Bragging rights and so on... in reality, as a performer I don't like to think who did better than who unless I was in a marching group (like when I was in high school). Now being in college I just want to relax and march a good show. To entertain the crowd, thats what I want to do. So by that... I have goals as a college performer... am I entertaining the crowd? If not... well I have work to do.

So overall... We as humans want to "win" if it be placing first, taking home the gold and glory, or making your own set of goals and keep working on accomplishing those goals... So in reality competition lives within us.

If you ask me what I think about winning, I would answer like this, it doesn't matter if I place first or last as long as I did my best and accomplished my goals. Also competition can also help people out with the real world. It can help you deal with a certain amount of stress that we as humans have to go through each and every single day. haha, well I can keep going on with a bunch of ideas to explain the good things of what competition could bring us...

Since we already have competition in DCI Drum Corps, and accepted by most as something inherently neccessary for the health of the activity, it seems to me to be incumbent more from you to explain to people like me why Competition should be scrapped, rather than for someone like me to justify the continuation of it. So if you believe DCI Drum Corps does not need judges anymore and that you'd be ( as you stated above )" the first in line to get rid of judges", then would you like to explain to me the next follow up logical question as to " why " you believe this ?

Edited by BRASSO

Since we already have competition in DCI Drum Corps, and accepted by most as something inherently neccessary for the health of the activity, it seems to me to be incumbent more from you to explain to people like me why Competition should be scrapped, rather than for someone like me to justify the continuation of it. So if you believe DCI Drum Corps does not need judges anymore and that you'd be ( as you stated above )" the first in line to get rid of judges", then would you like to explain to me the next follow up logical question as to " why " you believe this ?

Thank you for dodging the question (by basically saying "it is what it is.")

But I'll respect your question: My answer lies in a very transcendent world, where everyone is equally excellent, because every organization is equally qualified. There would be no need for judges, because everyone involved would be striving for--and achieving--excellence in such a way that everyone would agree.

can you imagine a non-judged year where everyone who signed up did so FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF ENTERTAINING THE CROWD WITH THEIR EXCELLENCE? I just got gossebumps...