D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

funny. The Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni corps performs dozens of times a year, usually get the best reaction of the night, yet get no score.

so do we "need" scores for everything we do?

Most members of alumni corps have retired from D&BC competing, are older, and do it for the enjoyment and social aspect. I believe a part America's soul would die if we did not have competition. Never mind the problems that may crop up without scores (tests) that assist us all in our daily lives.

The only thing DCA lacks is DrillmanSop06. And I think we can all agree that it's a clear-cut case of addition by subtraction.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you for dodging the question (by basically saying "it is what it is.")

But I'll respect your question: My answer lies in a very transcendent world, where everyone is equally excellent, because every organization is equally qualified.

" transcendent world " ? Sounds like Heaven. Everbody wants to go to Heaven ( but nobody wants to go now )

Sounds excellent though this " transcendent world " of yours where everyone and everything is equally excellent.

Edited by BRASSO

There would be no need for judges, because everyone involved would be striving for--and achieving--excellence in such a way that everyone would agree.

As Woody Allen once said in a movie :.... " You'll achieve the full clarity of the brilliance of thought and intellect once you decide not to disagree, but instead to simply agree with me ". Sounds like " excellent " advice to me. What say you, Bruckner8 ?

More like some of us feel that insulting comments with no basis in fact hurt the entire activity. And some of us have long memories when it comes to remembering from whom those comments come from.

Funny how people will close their eyes to how closely DCI, DCA, Minis, Alumni-types, whatever are related. And how if any one piece goes downhill it hurts the others.

To be fair to folks like Whitedawn...I think they see exactly that the above are closely related...that the average person would see no difference between the Edge and a corps like the Blue Devils...and that is the problem to them in this thread.

To be fair to folks like Whitedawn...I think they see exactly that the above are closely related...that the average person would see no difference between the Edge and a corps like the Blue Devils...and that is the problem to them in this thread.

Wasn't pointing it at WhiteDawn Mike, sorry if unclear. And I can dig the differences between Minis and a top DCI corps and the concerns about people who know nothing about corps. But some here are using insults towards the type of corps they are not a fan of and that's what I am refering to.

Hmmm... difference between Edge and BD... if one knows nothing about Drum Corps has does one see the difference. And anyone know how Edge will be introduced? Will the words "Drum Corps" even be used?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

...that the average person would see no difference between the Edge and a corps like the Blue Devils...and that is the problem to them in this thread.

Yes. It is troubling to me that this group/presentation might be put forward as representative of the drum corps activity generally when it's not.

Drum corps is an activity that already is a subset of the the broader marching band category (which has it's own troubles). The Edge represents a niche of a niche within a niche.* I asked the question several pages back: How will the Edge be described? As a mini-corps? As a drum corps? Those won't mean anything to the audience. And what about the age issue? I'm okay with all-age corps. I doubt the average audience member (never mind the producers) are so enlightened. They expect their marching bands to be students. Who knows what they think of adults in marching band.

Just for the sake of discussion, if this were BD on this show, at least we'd be able to cross off a couple of the questions. Even if the hard-headed producers labeled them a marching band, at least the audience would have a shot at connecting the performers with drum corps.

HH

*Niche of a niche within a niche: Marching band is the prime category. Drum corps is a niche of marching band. All-age corps are a niche in drum corps. Mini-corps are a niche in all-age corp.

My hunch, 99& of the viewers that watch " The Edge " on AGT ( if it makes it that far ) and compare it to " the Blue Devils " will be comparing it to the Duke Basketball team. And the approximate .005% of those who watch the performance of The Edge that will be thinking of the Duke Basketball squad during the performance will most likely be under the influence of LSD or some such. Thats because I don't think that even 1% of the typical viewers of AGT have ever heard of the Blue Devils Drum Corps. We're talking about the typical viewership of" America's Got Talent " here, correct ?

Howard Stern is a " radio talk show host ". When somebody listens to his show, do they believe that all the other radio shows are like his ? And if they do, arn't they pretty stupid to think this ? And if they are stupid, do yyou really care what they think ? And if you do, then why ?

Edited by BRASSO

My hunch, 99& of the viewers that watch " The Edge " on AGT ( if it makes it that far ) and compare it to " the Blue Devils " will be comparing it to the Duke Basketball team. And the approximate .005% of those who watch the performance of The Edge that will be thinking of the Duke Basketball squad during the performance will most likely be under the influence of LSD or some such. Thats because I don't think that even 1% of the typical viewers of AGT have ever heard of the Blue Devils Drum Corps. We're talking about the typical viewership of" America's Got Talent " here, correct ?

Eww - dont compare us to the Duke Basketball team, whatever you do! Being that close to Durham is bad enough for me :sleeping:

Eww - dont compare us to the Duke Basketball team, whatever you do! Being that close to Durham is bad enough for me :sleeping:

I get what you mean. To listen to the fretting on here about what " The Edge " might do to people's image of " The Blue Devils Drum Corps " or to other DCI or DCA Corps is so over the top its funny.

After the successful stage production of " Blast ", ( that had NO effect on BD or DCI ), the same production team did a follow up theatre show production entitled " Future Shock " or some such. The show was done by former Drum Corps performers and designers, some previously afiliated with " Blast ". It was a very weird and out there show production. It completely bombed on stage. It was BOTH boring and bad from all reviews. Most people hated it, and word got out that it was a waste of time and money to go see it. The production was quickly pulled after it began to bleed red and lose money left and right. Did this show production's collosal failure with the public have any effect on the Blue Devils Drum Corps ? On DCI ? No. Not at all.That spectre was never raised either. The embarrassing bombing of this stage production with the public at large had no effect whatsoever on " The Blue Devils Drum Corps or on " the excellence of DCI Corps " or " the Drum Corps activity's image " or even on the show production " Blast " that continued on long after " Future Shock " bombed. But it just shows you how silly some people's concerns and fears can be on things sometimes.

Edited by BRASSO