D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

I just don't want the viewing public (or at least the very small number of people who watch NBC) to think that drum corps is "adults doing marching band," because that's not the image I have or that I want other people to have.

I'm sort of surprised why you'd care so much what the typical viewer that watches " Americas's Got Talent " thinks about Drum Corps.... or anything else for that matter. Most of the viewers who watch this show with regularity probably can't connect the dots between what they are watching and how this might be different with other musical groups. Plus, if they're watching " America's Got Talent " they probably don't have a visual "image" of anything at all that lasts beyond the next commercial break. So don't sweat it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

LOL, Empire was playing to the crowd before they even made top 10 at DCA. There were at our local show a few years back then and you could hear "Empire's here again... good" when they were barely middle of the pack.

Plus their multiple trips to Europe, South America, etc.

And the opening-ceremonies gig at the Ryder Cup golf tournament at Oak Hill in Rochester in 1995. Nice to hear Dick Enberg introduce them that day on NBC.

A person who was close to the situation told me an interesting story about how the Statesmen were chosen for that gig over other Rochester musicians including Chuck Mangione and the Eastman Wind Ensemble.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the video is of this group's final performance of the season. Therefore, it is not a leap in logic to infer that this is pretty much as good as this group gets, performance-wise.

Unless they have changed design teams and are rehearsing much more/more effectively, there is very little reason to assume that they will get much better than what was presented.

Look, I hope they do well and have fun. I just don't want the viewing public (or at least the very small number of people who watch NBC) to think that drum corps is "adults doing marching band," because that's not the image I have or that I want other people to have.

Wow Sam, this comment surprises me. So it's all about what YOU want? Isn't that the crux of the argument against all the dinosaurs who hate amps||electronics||vocals||whatever... that they are being selfish?

It sounds to me like the image that you want people to have of Drum Corps is really the image of DCI drum corps, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, I will freely admit that on a technical level, DCI drum corps represents the absolute best in our activity. It is not, however, the only game in town, which I know you knonw.

Look, you may not "want" people to think that drum corps isn't "adults doing marching band" but guess what? For quite a few folks, that's EXACTLY what it is. Also, to the masses, even your Cadets are just "kids doing marching band".

Would you like to know what I want? (probably not, but here goes anyway...) I want people to have an image of drum corps as an activity that strives to entertain audiences while challenging its members to be their best.

• Like 4

It'll be fine, but they'll need music the audience can understand and get into....this is NOT the place to be busting out "Medea." Now if they did the Blast! version of "Malaguena" and did it well...it....would...rock!

Yep, doesn't matter how many millions see them on AGT, if they pull out some of that off the wall esoteric "Music Major" musical nonsense, if will all be for naught.

• Like 2

Yep, doesn't matter how many millions see them on AGT, if they pull out some of that off the wall esoteric "Music Major" musical nonsense, if will all be for naught.

We worry about the darndest things.

The group is based out of an all-age corps. They know their audience.

• Like 1

This thread has nothing to do with DCA. But thanks, some of you, for exposing your deep-seeded insecurities about exactly what DCA lacks. :tongue:

• Like 1

It's DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS! Plain and simple. It isn't DCA vs. DCI, Young vs. Old, Them vs. Us. It's the activity and that's all! Some of you people are so far gone I am surprised they let you on DCP. In fact I am surprised no one from DCP has chimed in to silence you.

A history lesson is needed here. Wasn't drum corps started by men returning from war? Adults? Junior corps came to fruition and TODAY we have all kinds of drum corps and it's all over the world!DCI, DCA, Alumni, Mini Corps, etc.

Drum Corps is Drum Corps so stop the petty poop that you are spewing and either support it or go away.

• Like 3

[edit: never mind. It's not worth it.]

I agree with Keith. This shouldn't be a DCA vs. DCI argument. But until some on here quit spewing out their subliminal messages, it will be.

Edited by skajerk

<This is the single most fiercely logical post I've ever seen on DCP. Good show.>

I'm with you...while DCP is not (necessarily...) a competition...

Bruckner8 wins...

As I've read through this argument over the last week, I imagined the episode on which the Edge appears. I might go something like this:

"Well folks, next up we have a real treat...these folks - and there are about 20 of them - hail from the world of marching band! Please welcome...THE EDGE' (cue golf clap...)

Judge #1 (not Stern) - "Hi! Welcome to the America's Got Talent' - what are you going to do for us today?!"

(Edge rep...) - Well, we're going to play 'Stella by Starlight', that great jazz standard...but like you've never heard it before!'

"OK - here we go folks...please welcome...THE EDGE"

(begin unknown music in complex, if excellent, arrangement...cameras pan to judges, with each one getting a good 5 seconds of face time. One smiles only with the mouth...eyes remain neutral. Another looks up at the ceiling...and Howard Stern looks like someone is attempting to feed him a rejected Fear Factor entree. In the 65 seconds of performance, the Edge get 45 seconds of camera time...)

After performance, the host comes back on...'Wow...give it up folks for THE EDGE!' (cue better applause...more enthusiastic...because, of course, The Edge was 1000% better than the audience thought it was going to be...)

Stern gets out in front of everyone...'You...you people...really? Tell me, what future do you see for this...this show you've got? Vegas? People in Vegas would ignore Sinatra to get back to the video poker machine...I mean, really! Corporate gigs? Eh...maybe...but then, you've got too many of those, what, tubas...up there - and trumpetey things...Corporations want drums, man...DRUMS! Not bando geek crap. You want my advice? Scrap the scrap metal, and just bang on some cans. Hey...that's a great idea for a show - and I THOUGHT OF IT! Bang on a can...I like it - hey...nebbish off stage! Call my agent and have him trademark that idea...it's mine and I thought of it!'

Judge #2 - "Hey - you folks are REALLY GOOD! Really...I like it...I totally...like...liked you and all!"

Judge #3 (British accent...because...well, it's required...) = "Nice work you blokes...and blokettes...I dug it - but...well, I just don't know..."

Sadly - this is what I fear they're in for. Will they do well? As Bruckner says...excellence should be the goal. But as we all know (and Bruckner does, too) - there is always room for more excellence. So no matter how well they do, whether they're dropped right off or make it to the finals, they'll be striving to get better.

Would that everyone in their own world of work and personal life did the same...

• Like 2