D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

This thread has nothing to do with DCA. But thanks, some of you, for exposing your deep-seeded insecurities about exactly what DCA lacks. :tongue:

DCA lacks nothing. The only thing lacking is the respect DCA corps and members deserve

• Like 6

<This is the single most fiercely logical post I've ever seen on DCP. Good show.>

I'm with you...while DCP is not (necessarily...) a competition...

Bruckner8 wins...

As I've read through this argument over the last week, I imagined the episode on which the Edge appears. I might go something like this:

"Well folks, next up we have a real treat...these folks - and there are about 20 of them - hail from the world of marching band! Please welcome...THE EDGE' (cue golf clap...)

Judge #1 (not Stern) - "Hi! Welcome to the America's Got Talent' - what are you going to do for us today?!"

(Edge rep...) - Well, we're going to play 'Stella by Starlight', that great jazz standard...but like you've never heard it before!'

"OK - here we go folks...please welcome...THE EDGE"

(begin unknown music in complex, if excellent, arrangement...cameras pan to judges, with each one getting a good 5 seconds of face time. One smiles only with the mouth...eyes remain neutral. Another looks up at the ceiling...and Howard Stern looks like someone is attempting to feed him a rejected Fear Factor entree. In the 65 seconds of performance, the Edge get 45 seconds of camera time...)

After performance, the host comes back on...'Wow...give it up folks for THE EDGE!' (cue better applause...more enthusiastic...because, of course, The Edge was 1000% better than the audience thought it was going to be...)

Stern gets out in front of everyone...'You...you people...really? Tell me, what future do you see for this...this show you've got? Vegas? People in Vegas would ignore Sinatra to get back to the video poker machine...I mean, really! Corporate gigs? Eh...maybe...but then, you've got too many of those, what, tubas...up there - and trumpetey things...Corporations want drums, man...DRUMS! Not bando geek crap. You want my advice? Scrap the scrap metal, and just bang on some cans. Hey...that's a great idea for a show - and I THOUGHT OF IT! Bang on a can...I like it - hey...nebbish off stage! Call my agent and have him trademark that idea...it's mine and I thought of it!'

Judge #2 - "Hey - you folks are REALLY GOOD! Really...I like it...I totally...like...liked you and all!"

Judge #3 (British accent...because...well, it's required...) = "Nice work you blokes...and blokettes...I dug it - but...well, I just don't know..."

Sadly - this is what I fear they're in for. Will they do well? As Bruckner says...excellence should be the goal. But as we all know (and Bruckner does, too) - there is always room for more excellence. So no matter how well they do, whether they're dropped right off or make it to the finals, they'll be striving to get better.

Would that everyone in their own world of work and personal life did the same...

one problem...and I know Howard would never say it was worded...

people didn't ignore Sinatra in Vegas. Not even law enforcement

OK, so we agree on something: We *need* the competition.

So the next logical question is: Why?

funny. The Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni corps performs dozens of times a year, usually get the best reaction of the night, yet get no score.

so do we "need" scores for everything we do?

• Like 2

People just dont seem to understand that we do drum corps year round in the Rochester NY area...We just finished a benifit concert that raised 12,000 dollars for the pilots that saved our country during World War II.

In the show was the Ghost Riders, (2nd to Star United for the last few years in DCA mini corps competition), Prime Time Brass, that have won many DCA ensemble competitions, and the 5 time DCA World Champion Empire Statesmen. There was excellence and entertainment all blended together for a really great evening.

The leaders and members of these groups have one thing in common, we all marched or taught for Vince Bruni. David is his son, and Joey a protege. It should work.

Was the video of "Edge's" performance super clean? Not really...was it exciting and entertaining? You bet...Honestly, I wasn't happy about them even being in the Mini Corps venue that night. Those mini corps work very hard to prepare for that venue, and I kind of resented the whole thing until I put a "first step" on it.

However,they only had about three days to prepare for that gig. I think that it will be better as they dive into the AGT pool. Dont forget, the host was the guy that starred in the movie "Drumline"...LOL...that should count for something.

Since many of those are friends, students or acquaitances of mine...I can only say..."break a leg".

Donny

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 4

people didn't ignore Sinatra in Vegas.

Absolutely correct. He and the Rat Pack were the hottest ticket in town back in the day.

can you imagine a non-judged year where everyone who signed up did so FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF ENTERTAINING THE CROWD WITH THEIR EXCELLENCE? I just got gossebumps...

I almost can't believe it... but I agree with you on this. :tongue:

However, you do need to work on your spelling skills. :ph34r:

• Like 1

This thread has nothing to do with DCA. But thanks, some of you, for exposing your deep-seeded insecurities about exactly what DCA lacks. :tongue:

The only thing DCA lacks is DrillmanSop06. And I think we can all agree that it's a clear-cut case of addition by subtraction.

• Like 5

Cute cop-out! Some people can dish it out but they sure can't take it. But people who bag on groups that give youth a chance to experience drum corps, whether it's the Colts or organizations like the Empire Statesmen, tend to be like that.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1

My answer lies in a very transcendent world, where everyone is equally excellent, because every organization is equally qualified. There would be no need for judges, because everyone involved would be striving for--and achieving--excellence in such a way that everyone would agree.

For organizations to be equally qualified, wouldn't everything/everyone involved have to be equally qualified? Sounds like a lock step world to me, but I may be reading too much from your point.