Move DCI to Santa Clara!

I can drive to Indy--it's a long day's drive, but doable. It's a 3-day drive to the west coast (can't afford the outrageous baggage fees to fly the kids equipment back) and I can't afford to miss the extra days at work (self-employed).

Finals need to be centrally located to make it accessible to as many folks as possible.

• Like 2

1333794239[/url]' post='3131102']

I can drive to Indy--it's a long day's drive, but doable. It's a 3-day drive to the west coast (can't afford the outrageous baggage fees to fly the kids equipment back) and I can't afford to miss the extra days at work (self-employed).

Finals need to be centrally located to make it accessible to as many folks as possible.

This.

I would also love a trip out west... who wouldn't, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Indy sells itself on being a days drive from both coasts which is I'm sure part of the reason DCI moved there.

• Like 4

Indy sells itself on being a days drive from both coasts which is I'm sure part of the reason DCI moved there.

From Google maps...I chose the departure point as Santa Clara since that is what the OP was mentioning. Driving time to Indy is 36 hours (not including stops for fuel, etc.) I guess the days are getting longer.

• Like 2

I suppose that it wouldn't be much of problem getting the Renegades to do an exhibition.

• Like 3

Funny how everyone views this. Although I doubt it will happen. I have 2 complaints.

1. Making it easy for the east coast and midwest corps and sticking the transportation cost on the west coats corps is hardly fair. The top WC corps can deal with the finances of this reasonable well. The smaller WC corps and Open class corps (that do not have feeder corps) have a harder time making it each and every year, especially as gas prices go up year on year. So, to keep everyone happy about keeping the show in Indy, I suggest those who want it to stay donate some funds to the west coast corps who need the support.LOL

2. a change every once in a while would do DCI some good. I beleive there is a bigger audience potential in Northern CA if it is there maybe every 5th year or so. For those of you who bring up the tuba problems, that is southern CA, not the bay area. This would also help the west coast corps as the shows they sponsor, like in the pacific NW would get a few more of the bigger corps and provide a large audience. swinging from denver through WA, OR would make a cool tour as well. Free day in Seattle or Portland is a way cool place to stop on the way down to CA. Just a thought for those of you who do not volunteer to work on putting on drum corps shows.

Everyone needs a change every now and then. That is human nature. Just saying.

• Like 2

That will happen when the city of Santa Clara cuts DCI a better deal than the city of Indianapolis.

• Like 2

1. Making it easy for the east coast and midwest corps and sticking the transportation cost on the west coats corps is hardly fair. The top WC corps can deal with the finances of this reasonable well. The smaller WC corps and Open class corps (that do not have feeder corps) have a harder time making it each and every year, especially as gas prices go up year on year. So, to keep everyone happy about keeping the show in Indy, I suggest those who want it to stay donate some funds to the west coast corps who need the support.LOL

Indy is about 300 miles East of the geographic "center of mass" for last years finalists. If finals were really "centrally" located, they would be in Rome, Iowa (or -- if you choose the nearest large city -- Iowa City or Davenport). If you add all the non-finalist corps, the center probably moves closer to Indy. West Coast finals really make no geographic or financial sense at all.

2. a change every once in a while would do DCI some good. I beleive there is a bigger audience potential in Northern CA if it is there maybe every 5th year or so. For those of you who bring up the tuba problems, that is southern CA, not the bay area. This would also help the west coast corps as the shows they sponsor, like in the pacific NW would get a few more of the bigger corps and provide a large audience. swinging from denver through WA, OR would make a cool tour as well. Free day in Seattle or Portland is a way cool place to stop on the way down to CA. Just a thought for those of you who do not volunteer to work on putting on drum corps shows.

A reasonable argument I guess. OTOH there were not too many complaints when finals were repeatedly at Camp Randall.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

Just put DCI back in Madison for a couple years to right the ship. Drum corps, drum corps parties, a good time, a great atmosphere, a stadium that's awesome for drum corps, and sizable crowds. Moreover, you don't have to put up with some dippity-do having kids spin around concert bass mallets and run in a dizzy manor to bang a gong to entertain the BOA kids that are there to fill the seats. (Yeah, yeah, I'm being an old grump; but the DCI intermissions and grand finales have really been dumbed down. Wasn't it a couple years ago that they played Bieber or Miley Cyrus during retreat?)

Indy is about 300 miles East of the geographic "center of mass" for last years finalists. If finals were really "centrally" located, they would be in Rome, Iowa (or -- if you choose the nearest large city -- Iowa City or Davenport). If you add all the non-finalist corps, the center probably moves closer to Indy. West Coast finals really make no geographic or financial sense at all.

A reasonable argument I guess. OTOH there were not too many complaints when finals were repeatedly at Camp Randall.

According to Wikipedia and the USGA:

"From the time of the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona, until the 1959 additions of Alaska and Hawaii, the NGS placed the geographic center of the entire United States at a point near the town of Lebanon, Kansas. Since 1959 this location still stands as the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States, while the geographic center of the entire U.S. moved to a point northeast of Belle Fourche, South Dakota."

Since there are no corps from Hawaii and Alaska, let's say it is Lebanon, Kansas. The cities with large stadiums capable of handling DCI would be Manhattan, KS (Kansas State University), Lawrence, KS (The University of Kansas), and Kansas City, MO (Arrowhead).

vfiles7723.jpg

kustadium.jpg

Arrowhead-Stadium.jpg