Hurcs

Cabs

Corpsvets

Govies < CLASS A

Fusion < CLASS A

Carolina < CLASS A

Kilties

You already have 3 Class A voters.

Actually, last year's top ten scoring corps from Prelims included the Renegades and Alliance in Open Class.... and only two Class A corps (Govenaires and Fusion Core).

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I think that this season based on what I saw out of Fusion Core, that anyone who waits it out for the top 5 will be missing some fine performances in open class this season regardless of placement. I think the fact that three won't make it will push everyone to really extend and to really put on some strong performances and develop strong shows.

Thank you for the DCA membership parameters. I was unsure as to the vagaries of it now. It's very fair to have the A corps have that opportunity to get that mambership opportunity- and that alone should be pushing some of the ones at the bottom of Open Class to do better.

• Like 2

Actually, last year's top ten scoring corps from Prelims included the Renegades and Alliance in Open Class.... and only two Class A corps (Govenaires and Fusion Core).

I think Alliance loses a vote due to inactivity this season. I could be wrong but pretty sure I am right.

• Like 1

I think Alliance loses a vote due to inactivity this season. I could be wrong but pretty sure I am right.

Good point... I honestly have no idea.

If that is the case, then I'm guessing Gold would get that 10th vote, since their score was the 11th-highest at 2011 Prelims. Just a guess, not an official view.

Well if my understanding of the system is correct, as a Class A corps, you receive very little money for appearances vs an Open class corps, you have no voting rights unless you beat out some open class corps at finals and your judged on the same sheets as Open Class.

Not exactly motivation for staying in class A.

I am not aware of any monetary bonus just for declaring open vs. A....but I'm not privy to all the details. Are you saying that, for example, Fusion Core will get paid more in 2012 now that they have declared open-class?

I was under the impression that the class A/open-class distinction only applies to championships, and therefore, a top-ten corps gets paid like a top-ten corps in June-July-August even if they earned that top-ten ranking in the manner of Govenaires and Fusion. But I could be totally wrong....correct me if I am.

Just to clarify, the trumpet player IS a trumpet player (trumpet was his primary instrument, but also plays tenors)....trust me, he is a contributing member. There are no "spot fillers" at this point. I had the privilege of watching rehearsal on Sunday, they are for real.

J

Regarding no. 2, what exactly are these internal standards?

I get the feeling that they are at least partially filling the brass line with any willing bodies. I happen to know of two high school percussionists that auditioned for the drum line. They did not make the drum line, but were talked in to marching a spot in the brass line...one on trumpet and the other on tuba. I'm not saying that it's wrong for C2 to do this. In fact, I commend the kids for their willingness to do anything they can to help out.

• Like 2