Akron Alehouse

1 Cadets

2 Cavies

3 Phantom

4 Crown

5 Bluecoats

6 Blue Stars

Early season Cadets stuff sounded great.

Cavies because they normally start strong (still havent liked a show)

Phantom hopefully comes out playing like 2010.

I dont buy into the Crown hype (and i have watched videos on the tube)

Team Blues havent heard a thing from either.

• Like 1

ME TOO!

Yeah as much as some of the Crown honks and urk me sometimes, I think it's time for them to win a Championship. Besides, from what I've heard of their show, it is sounding pretty good to me.

• Like 2

Yeah as much as some of the Crown honks and urk me sometimes, I think it's time for them to win a Championship. Besides, from what I've heard of their show, it is sounding pretty good to me.

I agree that I'd like to see Crown take it. I'm a Cadet fan, but Crown is also as close to a home-town corps for me, and I tried out for them a long time ago. Plus, always nice to see a new face and root for the underdog.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be cool to see Crown and Bluecoats finished 1st and 2nd....either of them in 1st?

• Like 4

My predictions:

Bluecoats - 0.00

The Cadets - 0.00

The Cavaliers - 0.00

Carolina Crown - 0.00

Phantom Regiment - 0.00

Blue Stars - 0.00

:cool:

Now, if you're as eager for some drum corps action as I am but DON'T want to wait all weekend to find out the results, I invite you to check out our free fantasy drum corps league hosted on DCP. Registration is open to all DCP members and the game is very easy- and fun! Register today at www.drumcorpsfantasy.com

Yes - long time DCP'ers - I am still "alive." ben almost two years since I set foot on DCP "ground."

I am looking fwd to Saturday!! Sec 210, Row 25, Seat 18!!!

Also - those of you "predicting" scores will have to wait. No scores announced Saturday.

Also - someone "mentioned" to me that Cadets show may not be done. I am going to push/prod/nudge the DCI board to pass a rule stating if a corps show is not done in time for the first competition of the season, they either forfeit 25% of their appearance fee, or get a 5 point penalty!! (OR BOTH!!). The payins fans are shelling out anywhere from $15-$50 for a seat!! If your corps can't finish a show, YOU'RE RIPPING THE PAYING PUBLIC OFF!!!

While I agree with the penalty aspect of this, I disagree with your last few sentences. There have been many years where corps simply can't finish their show during spring training. Weather can often be a huge obstacle. Almost every corps gets the music down before tour, but visual is more difficult. You need the facilities and weather. Some groups have run into issues with housing, and at times with the need to travel and play many local engagements before doing their tour. If you factor weather into that then you clearly see the demands. And at times it is more important for a drum corps to take part in those local engagements, even when they really need the time on the field because of weather.

I have never had a problem with a corps not having their full visual on the field yet. In fact, at early season shows I kind of like hearing the horn line arc up and play the rest of the show. It's early season and to me it's no big deal. I guess to others it's a big deal. But my main point is that each year is different and sometimes the corps can't help it. Are we really going to throw a sh--fit over that? Really? And I would rather see quality, not quantity. I want each corps to have the time to make their shows work. I don't want them rushing things. That just breeds mediocrity.

• Like 2

I rather pay money for a show-ready show with the last few minutes in a standstill than pay money for a sloppy show that was clearly rushed to get done. The quality of the partial show would be greater than the quality of the rushed show. Just my 2 cents.

While I agree with the penalty aspect of this, I disagree with your last few sentences. There have been many years where corps simply can't finish their show during spring training. Weather can often be a huge obstacle. Almost every corps gets the music down before tour, but visual is more difficult. You need the facilities and weather. Some groups have run into issues with housing, and at times with the need to travel and play many local engagements before doing their tour. If you factor weather into that then you clearly see the demands. And at times it is more important for a drum corps to take part in those local engagements, even when they really need the time on the field because of weather.

I have never had a problem with a corps not having their full visual on the field yet. In fact, at early season shows I kind of like hearing the horn line arc up and play the rest of the show. It's early season and to me it's no big deal. I guess to others it's a big deal. But my main point is that each year is different and sometimes the corps can't help it. Are we really going to throw a sh--fit over that? Really? And I would rather see quality, not quantity. I want each corps to have the time to make their shows work. I don't want them rushing things. That just breeds mediocrity.

The problem with the penalty idea is that in build-up scoring "you only judge what's in front of you".

If a corps stands still for the last minute, there's literally nothing to judge for the visual judges. You can't just imagine what it might have been like with drill and then use that as a some yardstick to subtract points. Judging nothing mean simply not judging.

I want corps to bring full shows too. But I don't see how you can reasonably come up with a penalty that properly reflects what the "lost points" might be for each corps. Sure you could penalize corps x points for each y seconds of standing still. But what if they stand still in the middle? And who's to say 1 minute of Glassmen drill has the same value as 1 minute of Cadets drill?

As much as I want corps to bring full shows to every show, I think judging what's in front of you is as good a solution as can be found.