2012 Rankings

I love the Cabs and the Cabs show this year.

Don't let MBI lack of a recent score sway you.

MBI was 2+ points ahead of Cabs at their first meeting and MBI had several members that did not make the trip. Bus legs and all. MBI shows with a full crew rested I suspect they are probably closer to 4 points apart at this point and time.

Comparing the two shows based on the videos that I have seen the MBI show seems stronger from a design point and has more room to grow. Cabs show seems a bit on the SAFE side to make a run for the 2nd Rung.They may be ahead of Empire and Hurs and may well stay there but Hurcs show seems the most solid of the 3 I have reviewed. Cabs Percussion scores are going to need to see a huge rise in the next couple of contest for them to be in that 2-3 mix.

What I find quite humorous is through all of the threads here, the two people most verbal armchair adjudicating and deciding every corps fate have yet to see any of then live. You talk trends and the strength of ones program based on YouTube and a recap. Assuming their is video available. As if the designers of the shows had "YouTube" and Facebook in mind when they designed them. Just for you to sit back and ramble your opinions from a shaky iPhone recording. Seriously???? Yet there are people on here willing to entertain the idea that these guys have a clue and continue to encourage their further discussion. Doesn't this concern anyone?

• Like 4

Well, you can only take offense. It cannot be given.

On the subject of Cabs and a winter program, did you have a full line in January 2011? What about January 2010? What about May of those same years? Cabs did the work in the winter to come out prepared in 2012. They didn't in 2011, or in years previous...that much was evident at the Wildwood shows. The corps came out with so many holes they looked like Swiss cheese.

If you want to hang with the Buccaneers and MBIs of the world, you have to be ready early. Championships are won in January. This year, Cabs may not win, but they've set a new standard for themselves that when they exceed it in 2013, they are well on their way.

You can tell at a glance in June if a corps had a good winter and is prepared. Are you telling me Cabs winter in 2011 was as productive? There's no way you would. Not a chance. The 2012 Cabs should be proud of what they are accomplishing. If you are confused because I called a spade a spade, I don't know what to tell you.

Having bodies is one thing, having the same "real winter program" for the past X number of years is something else!

We had holes in 2010, 2011 and 2012 in the winter. Heck in the winter of 2003, 1995, 1985, 1984 and every other championship year the corps had holes in the winter. You cannot possibly tell me what our "real winter program" has been like all these years just by coming to one rehearsal in 2012. And to borrow a line from you...There's no way you would, not a chance!

I believe our accomplishments this year comes from the coordination of the musical and visual package, combined with the same "real winter program" we have had for years....Period!!!

• Like 3

What I find quite humorous is through all of the threads here, the two people most verbal armchair adjudicating and deciding every corps fate have yet to see any of then live. You talk trends and the strength of ones program based on YouTube and a recap. Assuming their is video available. As if the designers of the shows had "YouTube" and Facebook in mind when they designed them. Just for you to sit back and ramble your opinions from a shaky iPhone recording. Seriously???? Yet there are people on here willing to entertain the idea that these guys have a clue and continue to encourage their further discussion. Doesn't this concern anyone?

read my sig.

maybe it applies to you as well

:tongue:

• Like 1

Having bodies is one thing, having the same "real winter program" for the past X number of years is something else!

We had holes in 2010, 2011 and 2012 in the winter. Heck in the winter of 2003, 1995, 1985, 1984 and every other championship year the corps had holes in the winter. You cannot possibly tell me what our "real winter program" has been like all these years just by coming to one rehearsal in 2012. And to borrow a line from you...There's no way you would, not a chance!

I believe our accomplishments this year comes from the coordination of the musical and visual package, combined with the same "real winter program" we have had for years....Period!!!

Bodies are one thing... but having a well designed show is another. That, I believe, is the difference this year for the Cabs. I didn't attend any winter rehearsals so I really have no idea how they operate but there was a clear difference at Wildwood between 2012 and 2011. The corps does seem much more prepared this year. Either way.. I'm happy for their success. I do hope they keep working hard or else that win in Lynn will be the only one for 2012.

This crap again?

Let me assure you. There is a lot you can learn by reviewing Recaps and watching performances via the internet.

There are people that actually attend the shows that post reviews and some of them really have no clue what goes into the judges scores and the criteria for judging the performances. So which is the stronger of the two? I guess you have to decide that for yourself.

So while I see where you are coming from to a degree. I respectfully disagree with you.

Edited by camel lips

This crap again?

Let me assure you. There is a lot you can learn by reviewing Recaps and watching performances via the internet.

There are people that actually attend the shows that post reviews and some of them really have no clue what goes into the judges scores and the criteria for judging the performances. So which is the stronger of the two? I guess you have to decide that for yourself.

So while I see where you are coming from to a degree. I respectfully disagree with you.

ed i see the video's and look at the recaps but really the videos only show you what the show is. not how good. yes my eyesight is bad but you have to be there to really know. the recaps tell the story. but you don't know WHY the scores went the way they did. now i know that empire for one thing had a very bad rehearsal on saturday. when that happens it can really hurt you. but i couldn't tell from a video or even the recap . i'm not making excuses but there is a lot to the story on every show. you really gotta be there. just saying.........

now i know that empire for one thing had a very bad rehearsal on saturday. when that happens it can really hurt you.

Or really help you. I may not have been involved with drum corps for decades like others here but in my time I've seen this to be relatively true.. bad rehearsals often lead to great performances..

I know, it defies all logic. But I can't tell you how many times I had a really crappy rehearsal that was just a fight every minute to get through but then blew the house down that night. It's one of those great paradox's of our activity.

I'm still not sold that the only reason Cabs moved up is because Empire didn't do well. Will we say the same thing next weekend at Kingston if Empire overtakes the Cabs? That Cabs just didn't have a good performance? Personally, I think the Cabs earned their movement. I guess we'll see at Kingston.

Edited by androidx2
  • Like 1

ed i see the video's and look at the recaps but really the videos only show you what the show is. not how good.

I disagree. I can see body posture issues on video. I can see fundamentals being taught but not necessarily applied. I can see spacing issues. I can see people timid or not knowing their drill sets. I can see a poor guard design or poor gaurd intergration. I can see a guard do their work poorly.

So much of what goes into the sheets is visual. The videos allow you to repeat sections or watch the show over and over. The fans in the stands only see what they see once. They may miss something that happened on side A when they were watching side B. The could be blinded by a fantastic guard and miss the mess in the percussion.

So I respectfully disagree with "having to be there". Its bunk!!!!!!!!!

Comparing the two shows based on the videos that I have seen the MBI show seems stronger from a design point and has more room to grow. Cabs show seems a bit on the SAFE side to make a run for the 2nd Rung.They may be ahead of Empire and Hurs and may well stay there but Hurcs show seems the most solid of the 3 I have reviewed. Cabs Percussion scores are going to need to see a huge rise in the next couple of contest for them to be in that 2-3 mix.

Cabs show seems more on the "safe" side than MBI? Geez, Cabs are still moving long after MBI has boarded the bus. Perhaps from a design standpoint, MBI's show does seem to have more of a theme, but the drill just doesn't move much.

• Like 6

Or really help you. I may not have been involved with drum corps for decades like others here but in my time I've seen this to be relatively true.. bad rehearsals often lead to great performances..

I know, it defies all logic. But I can't tell you how many times I had a really crappy rehearsal that was just a fight every minute to get through but then blew the house down that night. It's one of those great paradox's of our activity.

I'm still not sold that the only reason Cabs moved up is because Empire didn't do well. Will we say the same thing next weekend at Kingston if Empire overtakes the Cabs? That Cabs just didn't have a good performance? Personally, I think the Cabs earned their movement. I guess we'll see at Kingston.

i wasn't trying to take anything away from the cabs. i didn't see the show. i was just trying to make a point. i'm sure the cabs earned it. i was just saying a lot of things go into the outcome of a show. like i said i wasn't making any excuses for anybody. i guess i shouldn't have used that as an illustration. my apologies.