2012 Rankings

During the years I was with MCL we always had scheduling issues come up. It never seemed to fail we have a great schedule worked out early in the season and then a couple of shows would get cancelled leaving us out in the cold for several weeks.

Never seemed to fail though when one would cancel another one would come up in its place that was close enough to haul too. The biggest obstacle then was getting the adults out of their day jobs and their time commitments. Some members simply could not get off work after asking for other dates off. Then we would wind up doing a show with only half the corps.

With a younger generation of marchers in DCA this should not be a issue any longer.

well...maybe.

many kids work too

The mid-week Minnesota gigs were relatively local for Govies and Brass; Mankato, as example, is "about" 10 miles or so from St. Peter.

The Kilties membership is not all locally based, as example members come in from the Detroit/lower Michigan area, more from Indiana, northern Illinois, Ohio, all areas of Wisconsin, etc. If you live within 100 miles of Racine, you are considered "local". :smile:

In short, we do what we do and no performance bears anymore importance as another....all are equal and expected to be performed at the highest level; or you get your arse kicked.....it's a matter of expectation, dedication and a sense of responsibility to the fellow members and the fans.

If someone would like the corps to travel the far reaches of the drum corps universe and out of our (what we feel is) fiscally responsible business model (for the organization and the member's wallets)...send us your credit card number; we would be happy to accommodate.

ok, relax. no one is attacking the corps. some people asking questions and posting thoughts that, ok, may not be what your corps is after.

no need to be so defensive.

signed,

a guy whose corps traveled more than anyone in DCA 1995-1997, back when shows were all in the NE

ok, relax. no one is attacking the corps. some people asking questions and posting thoughts that, ok, may not be what your corps is after.

no need to be so defensive.

signed,

a guy whose corps traveled more than anyone in DCA 1995-1997, back when shows were all in the NE

With all due respect, The Westshoremen did travel approximately 3,000 miles round-trip in 1996. But so did MBI. (A round-trip to the Kiltie's show is more than 700 miles for example. And the round-trip to Rochester from Minneapolis is more than 2,000 miles). And this does not include all of the fairly local travel. And in the Upper Midwest "Local" means anything within 100 miles. :)

To put that into perspective, the Caballeros and the Empire Statesmen are closer to one another than MBI and the Kilties.

Edited by Ron H

I think the Friday night show could have been done. As I recall one of the DCI shows Govies and Minnesota did was on a week night. A Tuesday or Thursday in fact. Not sure how far the two groups had to travel but they seemed to have pulled it off.

Not trying to bash the Kilties but to be competitive a corps needs to do more judged shows because then you get more feedback and can improve even more, rather than just "well we THINK the judges will like this..." It is important to keep the members in mind but if you tell them in December like you say, they can plan around that one extra Friday night.

If I was a member I would be all for an extra competition!

And AGAIN trying to answer the original post regarding this issue...Liz and a few others seem to imply (but maybe not) that the Kilties need to be in MORE shows to get a fairer shake from the judges (ala Cabs/Bucs competing every weekend, etc) and to get more feedback from the same judges. MY original response is still based on that question.

1. The Kilties or ANY midwest corps would love to march more shows period.

2. Travel time and lack of shows restrict that ability.

3. Even with a show to go to finacial restrictions would still apply.

So maybe if the Kilts or MBI go to ONE more show a season for instance DCI Minnesota and get judged. They still are not going head to head with their brothers in DCA with the same frequency as the eastern corps enjoy. And for the most part not even the same judges. So how as a previous poster has suggested, are any improvements in the show or changes going to be seen by those judges? Let no one here think that I'm saying "oh the poor Kilties or oh the midwest seniors don't have a fair shake". It is what it is and all I've tried to say is that there IS a difference between the east and the midwest (and the west for that matter)in the availability of contest during the season. And when DCM folded all that did was make it worse. I hope that helps explain my position better. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

And AGAIN trying to answer the original post regarding this issue...Liz and a few others seem to imply (but maybe not) that the Kilties need to be in MORE shows to get a fairer shake from the judges (ala Cabs/Bucs competing every weekend, etc) and to get more feedback from the same judges. MY original response is still based on that question.

1. The Kilties or ANY midwest corps would love to march more shows period.

2. Travel time and lack of shows restrict that ability.

3. Even with a show to go to finacial restrictions would still apply.

So maybe if the Kilts or MBI go to ONE more show a season for instance DCI Minnesota and get judged. They still are not going head to head with their brothers in DCA with the same frequency as the eastern corps enjoy. And for the most part not even the same judges. So how as a previous poster has suggested, are any improvements in the show or changes going to be seen by those judges? Let no one here think that I'm saying "oh the poor Kilties or oh the midwest seniors don't have a fair shake". It is what it is and all I've tried to say is that there IS a difference between the east and the midwest (and the west for that matter)in the availability of contest during the season. And when DCM folded all that did was make it worse. I hope that helps explain my position better. Plain and simple.

i hate to say this but none of this should be on this thread. this is about rankings. if you want to have a pissing contest about how many shows midwest corps are in then go start the thread. quite frankly this is turning me off.

• Like 3

i hate to say this but none of this should be on this thread. this is about rankings. if you want to have a pissing contest about how many shows midwest corps are in then go start the thread. quite frankly this is turning me off.

I agree with the "Don". I'm done. But I will say that threads are conversations in a bar...one comment leads to another and another and pretty soon we're all off topic. And it WILL be interesting to see how the rankings fall in a couple of more weeks. Looking like a great season.

well...maybe.

many kids work too

When I say kids I am referring to those that do not have career yet. Meaning a Full Time job With Benefits and demands. A lot of companies that adults work for have strict demands on employee time off. Many having to ask for time off 6 months or more in advance.

Most kids have a job where scheduling is much more flexible compared to the career path.

With all due respect, The Westshoremen did travel approximately 3,000 miles round-trip in 1996. But so did MBI. (A round-trip to the Kiltie's show is more than 700 miles for example. And the round-trip to Rochester from Minneapolis is more than 2,000 miles). And this does not include all of the fairly local travel. And in the Upper Midwest "Local" means anything within 100 miles. :)

To put that into perspective, the Caballeros and the Empire Statesmen are closer to one another than MBI and the Kilties.

ok. I remember a breakdown being done on RAMD in 97 that showed how much we travelled.......I was pretty sure MBI was factored in there and didn't count our jaunt to Orlando.

I'm not gonna get in a pissing match over it. All I did was ask a simple question that seems to have made some people defensive. I have no horse in the race. I just want whoever scores highest to win and be entertained.

Agree 100%. A general question was initially simply asked, and then answered. In short, for all corps, travel (in time and miles) and the affordability of such, makes what one may dream as the most desired scenario, just not sound and practical for a particular organization(s). That's all, nothing more to it.

Have a great day Don!! :thumbup: