2012 Rankings

A perfect example of the opposite is Alliance 2011.

Had they not moved quite so much and would have given the members some time to catch their breath... they could have placed much better. Not saying MBI "cheats" but they design it right and get that balance between doable and too demanding.

• Like 2

the sheets don't have a mandatory must move time. Remember the arguments against brigs during their run?

Do what you do, do it clean, and do enough of enough things well to show you can.

it works. Don't believe me, look at BD

Or Crown. Those cats stand around a LOT this year. People talk about how much they do hard drill, and it's only twice in the show (beginning and end).

• Like 1

So I respectfully disagree with "having to be there". Its bunk!!!!!!!!!

Really? Really?

You are really missing out then. Have you never heard a drum corps hornline in person or a drumline in person or stood in just feet away from a color guard doing their thing?

If you have, you certainly have lost that memory and feeling.

If you haven't, then you ought to.

You've either lost it or never had it. Sure you can see lots from a video, but it's not the same, will never be the same, would never generate the same strong opinions of those that are viewing it live. You can't garner the effect of the sound, intensity, emotion of drum corps in a recording.

It's one thing that can't be bottled up in a recording (audio or A/V). Drum corps live. There is no substitute. There just isn't.

Go to a drum corps show.

• Like 3

I disagree. I can see body posture issues on video. I can see fundamentals being taught but not necessarily applied. I can see spacing issues. I can see people timid or not knowing their drill sets. I can see a poor guard design or poor gaurd intergration. I can see a guard do their work poorly.

So much of what goes into the sheets is visual. The videos allow you to repeat sections or watch the show over and over. The fans in the stands only see what they see once. They may miss something that happened on side A when they were watching side B. The could be blinded by a fantastic guard and miss the mess in the percussion.

So I respectfully disagree with "having to be there". Its bunk!!!!!!!!!

Ed, the sheets are for the one time viewing, not for replay after replay after replay. I'm sure you'd find issues in every corps if you went that route.

• Like 4

It's about staging as much as movement when it comes to visual design and adjudication. It's not about how many sets, or how many notes. If that was the case, everyone would be playing runs, moving every count, and running endzone to endzone.

Especially on the all-age side, where the corps can't rehearse nearly every day of the week in-season.

This is truly a topic for another thread, perhaps in the offseason... but IMO, the visual focus on the all-age side probably should be more on staging, coordination of elements, and support of the brass and percussion books... and less on sheer "hey, we're doing three-thousand drill sets" physical demand. Leave that stuff to the top DCI corps... it's one of their strengths.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled "2012 Rankings" thread. :tongue:

Especially on the all-age side, where the corps can't rehearse nearly every day of the week in-season.

This is truly a topic for another thread, perhaps in the offseason... but IMO, the visual focus on the all-age side probably should be more on staging, coordination of elements, and support of the brass and percussion books... and less on sheer "hey, we're doing three-thousand drill sets" physical demand. Leave that stuff to the top DCI corps... it's one of their strengths.

The top DCA corps do EXACTLY, PRECISELY what you describe, Fran.

As for watching a video and getting the "whole picture".... I was quite clear in my Downingtown review that the C2 videos available were no link to reality compared to HEARING them live, and the video made them appear MUCH worse than the truth and actuality the corps presents on field.

I have good speakers. We can get into the whole digital audio compression on most uploaded files unless its HD audio, but if you watch a corps video and think thats exactly what it is, no. It's not. The closest I have heard are the DCI simulcasts, and I highly douby anyone's recording at that level of digital streaming fidelity through a video cam or has that level of speakerage present in their listening studio at home....

Ever go to a NASCAR/Indycar/ALMS race? I have. The total, live, and visceral experience is far better and you really know what the deal is in many of the details as to how a driver drives and how they do their thing. Same here. You can get an semi-educated idea with a rather large sail the IJN Yamato cleanly through it with room to spare through it window of error, but its NOT the actual experience.

No way in heck should anyone draw a definite call on a YouTube video of a corps and how exactly great or bad they are. Get a semi reasonable (emphasis on semi!) idea with a 2-4 point window in either direction plus or minus, yeah.

• Like 3

The top DCA corps do EXACTLY, PRECISELY what you describe, Fran.

As for watching a video and getting the "whole picture".... I was quite clear in my Downingtown review that the C2 videos available were no link to reality compared to HEARING them live, and the video made them appear MUCH worse than the truth and actuality the corps presents on field.

I have good speakers. We can get into the whole digital audio compression on most uploaded files unless its HD audio, but if you watch a corps video and think thats exactly what it is, no. It's not. The closest I have heard are the DCI simulcasts, and I highly douby anyone's recording at that level of digital streaming fidelity through a video cam or has that level of speakerage present in their listening studio at home....

Ever go to a NASCAR/Indycar/ALMS race? I have. The total, live, and visceral experience is far better and you really know what the deal is in many of the details as to how a driver drives and how they do their thing. Same here. You can get an semi-educated idea with a rather large sail the IJN Yamato cleanly through it with room to spare through it window of error, but its NOT the actual experience.

No way in heck should anyone draw a definite call on a YouTube video of a corps and how exactly great or bad they are. Get a semi reasonable (emphasis on semi!) idea with a 2-4 point window in either direction plus or minus, yeah.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you, Thank you and THANK YOU!!!

(by the way...did I say THANK YOU???)

These frreaking armchair quarterbacks, who sit back and watch videos and JUDGE others, who make rediculous predictions, march 1 year in a corps that barely makes finals, who knows everything, telling the people that have been doing this on the field for 30+ years, that we are wrong....still freakin amazes me!!!

• Like 4

Great post, W, I completely agree.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you, Thank you and THANK YOU!!!

(by the way...did I say THANK YOU???)

These frreaking armchair quarterbacks, who sit back and watch videos and JUDGE others, who make rediculous predictions, march 1 year in a corps that barely makes finals, who knows everything, telling the people that have been doing this on the field for 30+ years, that we are wrong....still freakin amazes me!!!

even worse on the DCI site...lol.....sad but true...there they are all saving the activity.....lol

Edited by GUARDLING