2012 Rankings

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you, Thank you and THANK YOU!!!

(by the way...did I say THANK YOU???)

These frreaking armchair quarterbacks, who sit back and watch videos and JUDGE others, who make rediculous predictions, march 1 year in a corps that barely makes finals, who knows everything, telling the people that have been doing this on the field for 30+ years, that we are wrong....still freakin amazes me!!!

take it easy frank. there are alway's cranks. if you haven't noticed he's been silent since he said all that. let's hope he stay's that way and listen's and learns.

BTW good show big guy!

Great post, W, I completely agree.

Seriously, check my math.

a +/- 2-4 point window of accuracy (or inaccuracy depending on perspective...) would be +/- .2-.4 on a given judge's sheet. That's a certain amount of wiggle room for a judge, but not too small IMHO, especially with the +/-.

It's like trying to figure out windows of probability given scores like this thread posts, and I'm dead certain the person who posts and updates the numbers understands this extremely well. The number has a 'width around it' for a lack of a better way to put it.

I still remember last year when going into championship weekend, MBI had a similar number to Bucs right before championships, and everyone crowed about it. I said it was *possible, maybe even somewhat probable* they were ahead, but that the Bucs were rained out of their show the same weekend, and that you had two different panels in two different venues on two different dates. They were close enough that the numbers overlapped each other and it was definitely an uncertain thing until both groups went head to head and MBI got it done. Some people didn't want to hear that. Numbers within a point at two different DCA contests scheduled on different weekends are extremely nebulous as to who might be better. Period.

The 'width of the number' gets even wider as it were with the Renegades, who used DCA sheets. A DCI panel might have been tougher, or more tolerant. We just don't know the answer to that.

And with Kidsgrove, the back of the DCE sheets and the box thresholds or even number of boxes might be radically different. That number they had might be at the upper or lower end of a box, and the same box on a DCA sheet might be a couple of points higher... or lower. The criteria DCE looks at and their circuit's philosophy may be also fundamentally different from DCA's. I just don't know the answer on that, but I wouldn't be suprised if I were correct. Those kinds of things make huge differences!

This kind of thing is one big reason why I don't sit and predict.

The other reason, I think I can speak for Jeff and myself as ex-Westshoremen. Both of us in different years went against the predictions and the tea leaves and managed to move up at Finals though making things happen on the field at DCA championships. In my case, in spite of the friggin' pigeons.... :satisfied: Too many people want everything in the bank and want it all neatly sanitized and a pat answer before the contest. It's not so easy, especially when you have some talented and capable people out there working hard to ***compete***..... :satisfied:

This crap again?

Let me assure you. There is a lot you can learn by reviewing Recaps and watching performances via the internet.

There are people that actually attend the shows that post reviews and some of them really have no clue what goes into the judges scores and the criteria for judging the performances. So which is the stronger of the two? I guess you have to decide that for yourself.

So while I see where you are coming from to a degree. I respectfully disagree with you.

What years did you march corps?

What corps did you march with?

What years did you teach corps?

Which corps did you teach?

Which corps circuits did you judge?

What years did you judge corps?

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you, Thank you and THANK YOU!!!

(by the way...did I say THANK YOU???)

These frreaking armchair quarterbacks, who sit back and watch videos and JUDGE others, who make rediculous predictions, march 1 year in a corps that barely makes finals, who knows everything, telling the people that have been doing this on the field for 30+ years, that we are wrong....still freakin amazes me!!!

You're welcome. Wow! :w00t::satisfied:

Videos are a great tool for staffs and members for certain. I know the Cabs (others as well!) make very effective use of them to make decisions on what needs worked on for rehearsal, and performers can see where they might need to push themselves more the next time.

Using them to predict placement with some kind of reasonable accuracy... no. And others have said it very well previously- Part of the adjudication process is the ***spontaneous*** reaction to the program as it occurs in the way it was meant to be presented and how it was presented by the performers at THAT GIVEN SHOW. There are no rewinds. You have to push yourself mentally and digest it all at that moment. :cool:

Anyhoo, I need to figure out how to get a hold of you before or after the show in Scranton. You and John. On that subject, I'm looking greatly forward to seeing the Cabs LIVE for myself. :thumbup:

What years did you march corps?

What corps did you march with?

What years did you teach corps?

Which corps did you teach?

Which corps circuits did you judge?

What years did you judge corps?

Gary....I believe we have something that goes something like this,

Those who can't, teach...

Those who can't teach, judge...

Those who can't judge, sit behind a computer, read recaps, watch videos, predict scores, and criticize because that is all they CAN do!!!

• Like 2

Those who can't judge, sit behind a computer, read recaps, watch videos, predict scores, and criticize because that is all they CAN do!!!

you forgot.....and save the activity :smile:

I think you forgot one,............has access to every corps where they all directly provide you with judges tapes,............... :w00t:

:spitting:

I think you forgot one,............has access to every corps where they all directly provide you with judges tapes,............... :w00t:

:spitting:

Thanks...gotta go clean my screen now!!!