2012 Rankings

Shaking up the top 5! Anyone think they have enough to push for #2?

I think the show has potential; a lot more potential than Empire or Hurcs IMO. Right now there percussion section is holding them back, even though they are much better than last year. Watching them in Bridgeport, I remember thinking "man they play A LOT... maybe too much?" As long as they keep cleaning and keep working "smartly" I think they could do it. I really don't see them catching Bucs at all but they could come within 1.5.

• Like 1

Shaking up the top 5! Anyone think they have enough to push for #2?

I guess it all depends on MBI, hard to say without a recent score. If MBI can stay close/ahead of Bucs then I think Cabs are a solid 3rd. If MBI isnt quite to that level, Cabs could very well take the #2 spot at finals this year!

Yes, they do, and here's why.

This year, Cabs had a real winter program. They have a dedicated membership, and had high attendance at rehearsals. Combine that with a motivated staff who are all on the same page and you get...

A well-designed show and a full corps out of the gate. This season Cabs are cleaning rather than filling massive holes in the line. That's why they've come on strong the last two weeks, and that trend should continue. I expect them to open the spread to the corps behind them.

Can they finish in second? Absolutely. In fact, that's my bet for them right now. I like what MBI is doing, but Cabs have a better program. If they rewrite (as in, take an eraser to) the two glaring issues (Jesu and Bolero), the program would be even stronger.

Cabs won't beat Bucs. Not this year. But what they are doing is setting themselves up for long-term success.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Yes, they do, and here's why.

This year, Cabs had a real winter program. They have a dedicated membership, and had high attendance at rehearsals. Combine that with a motivated staff who are all on the same page and you get...

A well-designed show and a full corps out of the gate. This season Cabs are cleaning rather than filling massive holes in the line. That's why they've come on strong the last two weeks, and that trend should continue. I expect them to open the spread to the corps behind them.

Can they finish in second? Absolutely. In fact, that's my bet for them right now. I like what MBI is doing, but Cabs have a better program. If they rewrite (as in, take an eraser to) the two glaring issues (Jesu and Bolero), the program would be even stronger.

Cabs won't beat Bucs. Not this year. But what they are doing is setting themselves up for long-term success.

I think it will be Bucs/MBI 1-2. Bucs will probably win this year but I hear MBI is making a ton of changes so we will see how that plays out. Could really help or really hurt them. I would be happy to see Cabs finish 3rd, they are making long term fixes and it will probably pay off more next year than this year.

You know, I heard that old guys get up early, but 5:16 am and you're posting on DCP?!? I remember a time or two when it was 5:16 am and we all decided we should get to bed before practice started at 8 am. :blink:

well, knowing Bear, that probably was before bed

:tongue:

I think it will be Bucs/MBI 1-2. Bucs will probably win this year but I hear MBI is making a ton of changes so we will see how that plays out. Could really help or really hurt them. I would be happy to see Cabs finish 3rd, they are making long term fixes and it will probably pay off more next year than this year.

Yea, I expect MBI to pull off one of their patented late season pushes. They'll certainly be in that mix with Cabs. I don't think anyone catches Bucs.

• Like 1

This year, Cabs had a real winter program.

Ok...I am kind of puzzled by this statement.....what exactly do you mean by a "real winter program"?

I know you came to one rehearsal this winter, and I almost thought you were going to stick it out....but I don't reecall seeing you at a rehearsal in 2011. All rehearsals were run the exact same way with music and visual blocks at each camp. Nothing has changed from last year to this year, or even from 2010, 2009, 2008...etc...

I'm not sure if I should be offended or not... :confused:

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I should be offended or not... :confused:

Well, you can only take offense. It cannot be given.

On the subject of Cabs and a winter program, did you have a full line in January 2011? What about January 2010? What about May of those same years? Cabs did the work in the winter to come out prepared in 2012. They didn't in 2011, or in years previous...that much was evident at the Wildwood shows. The corps came out with so many holes they looked like Swiss cheese.

If you want to hang with the Buccaneers and MBIs of the world, you have to be ready early. Championships are won in January. This year, Cabs may not win, but they've set a new standard for themselves that when they exceed it in 2013, they are well on their way.

You can tell at a glance in June if a corps had a good winter and is prepared. Are you telling me Cabs winter in 2011 was as productive? There's no way you would. Not a chance. The 2012 Cabs should be proud of what they are accomplishing. If you are confused because I called a spade a spade, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

You know, I heard that old guys get up early, but 5:16 am and you're posting on DCP?!? I remember a time or two when it was 5:16 am and we all decided we should get to bed before practice started at 8 am. :blink:

There was in fact a time when I was going to bed, when most folks were getting up. I was at my best around midnight in those days. Now I am at my best around (ironically) 5:16 a.m. and it's downhill for the rest of the day. :tongue:

Nothing has changed from last year to this year, or even from 2010, 2009, 2008...etc...

You are absolutely right, Frank. Let's face it, you and I both know nothing has changed dramatically over the years with regard to the way the corps operates.

Two things that can and do change periodically for all corps are staff and the recruitment of members. Recruitment is only within your control to a certain, limited extent. Let's face it, recruiting quality membership is every corps' aim, but it's not always as successful as each corps hopes it will be. I think it has improved at the Cabs in recent years, both in numbers and quality, in my opinion, a big plus. Also, those who return year after year also 'change' via experience gained.

The 'winter program' has always been there and been solid, but you still need the talent to work with, and this year's corps seems to have more than the recent past. (I can hear the great Jim Costello saying over and over, "I can't teach blanks!") And of course, success on the field begets more success in recruiting, which bodes well for the future.