George Hopkins

That's not directed at you specifically.

More of a comment on how DCI (in general) lets most information stay in-house . . .a recent example is the G7 mess . . . the organization basically had their hand forced in releasing their "own" business plan for the future, some of which (at least publicly) has never been followed up on.

And, to take us back full circle to the topic at hand . . .GH does make most of his motives crystal-clear, which I can appreciate, even though I don't agree with 99% of 'em. :smile:

And I'm positive he just LOVES seeing this thread live on and on and on...

Why make a insular band circuit so secretive that we have to find out about things like this twenty years after the fact . . .lol.

. . .not that it's surprising.

well secrets get out a lot quicker now

That's not directed at you specifically.

I know. It's just that I've got so many stories and observations from over the years, (and I'm sure the vast majority of them aren't classified in any way). But unless something "clicks" with me, I don't think of sharing them. So, I just keep them filed away until the time comes up that those memories could serve a purpose.

Loads of high schools were using it in the 80's and as early as 1990 [... ]

A&E even being an issue in this day and age is silly

Yeah, you'd think they'd have abandoned that bad idea years ago. :tongue:

• Like 2

I know. It's just that I've got so many stories and observations from over the years, (and I'm sure the vast majority of them aren't classified in any way). But unless something "clicks" with me, I don't think of sharing them. So, I just keep them filed away until the time comes up that those memories could serve a purpose.

or just go on one big posting spree and let em all out

And I'm positive he just LOVES seeing this thread live on and on and on...

He gets off on it.

Anyway, people talk like the guy is some evil genius that is single-handedly driving the entire direction of the activity, that he has some mad long-term 3D chess scheme.

If only the guy were that focused and that organized.

The truth is he is the hardest working guy I have met in my entire life. No question. Also no question that he puts his whole self into what he does.

But Cadets and YEA are successful because of hard work, brute force and trial and error... and more endless hard work... not some evil plan.

Also, there is no Yamaha conspiracy. Firstly, it isn't like selling musical instruments to schools is some easy sell... that Yamaha just equips some super corps and all school bands follow along right after. If only it was like that...

Secondly, Yamaha simply supports drums corps to get their name out there, to show that their stuff is quality.... can hold up... to provide case reference, etc. ... but at the end of the day, school district purchasing is such a wildcard, Yamaha supporting a group that has woodwinds wouldn't make even the slightest difference... as it isn't relevant to the purchasing process... AT ALL.

Back to the point... the motivation for adding woodwinds.

In George's mind, I think he genuinely believes in the idea that adding them will allow the ability to include more kids.... and I don't think he is wrong here. But, I really don't think he is thinking through the practical aspects of this (not really his nature seems to be more..... fire, ready, aim, fire, aim, fire, more ready, aim, fire... fire.... fire.... succeed).

Drum corps is cool... but it is not the ideal or definitive musical education/performance experience for all kids. For some kids, playing in a youth orchestra or national flute choir or jazz band is a much better thing for them personally. Sort of silly to take a "one hammer" approach to drum corps, thinking that it really should be something for all kids. Kids that really want to do it... the'll move their ### and figure it out.... regardless of what instrument they play. Those that don't step up and do that... probably not a good fit for them... as the various simultaneous demands of current drum corps are a hell of a lot more difficult than just learning to play a baritone.

Drum corps need to stop pretending they are some magical experience and that experience needs to be available to everyone. Apart from being logistically impossible, I sure as hell would not want to go to a drum corps show where it was easy for kids to participate... the same way I don't go to Jr. High band concerts unless someone related to me is performing.

Anyway... woodwinds in drum corps are about as much of a logistical nightmare as a unicycle riding string quartet.

Edited by danielray

sex, bikinis, lingerie, blondes, brunettes, legs, boobs (oops), booty...

Just seeing if these "click" with you so you'll write about them. :tongue:

(You may start a new topic if you'd like...)

• Like 2