Seiverville Scotch n Soda

Most interesting.

I stopped off the Appalachian Trail for dinner at a small-town restaurant in western Connecticut. I didn't know whether they served Coke or Pepsi, so I simply told the waitress I'd like some pop. She paused and gave me a long, curious look, then said, "Oh -- soda! I thought you said you wanted some pot."

YEP...That is what us Connecticut Yankees call it... :cool:

After all the "bells and whistles" in the Cavaliers '11 show, this years program seems like a bit of a come-down. Nice, but more reserved. Anybody else see it that way?

I agree. Cadets marched after Crown, and the crowd was much more responsive to the Cadets. Their drill seems more challenging and musically they are so appealing!

I'll give you all of that except for the bolded statement. I have found no instances after watching both of these shows ad naseum where this is possible. If anything, I would say CC's drill is too difficult.

I'll give you all of that except for the bolded statement. I have found no instances after watching both of these shows ad naseum where this is possible. If anything, I would say CC's drill is too difficult.

Maybe I'm just seeing the Cadets drill as a better compliment to their musical presentation. As usual, they seem to be always moving a mile a minute!

Maybe I'm just seeing the Cadets drill as a better compliment to their musical presentation. As usual, they seem to be always moving a mile a minute!

I can agree with this for now. We'll see what visual changes both corps have coming. Right now it seems Cadets show is more "complete" to me. Do you agree with that?

Back from the show. A few thoughts...

Cavaliers: Not exactly sure where to start with this show. A lot of peeps have been freaking out over this show design... and they're right. Sorry, Cavie honks. It's bad. Very bad. Music is classic Cavies but the guard is doing the 15 minutes theme. It's almost as if this show is at war with itself. Schizophrenic might describe it. The drill is a whole other issue. It's not a cleanliness issue (everybody is dirty right now) but programming again.

Depending on what BAC decides to do, Cavies are looking at 7th place (unless they rewrite some MAJOR chunks of this mess). I was genuinely surprised Cavies broke 70 tonight. It's that bad.

Also, before some of you freak out, I'm not the one who made things the way they are. I'm just telling you how it is.

Cadets: Nice show! Tasty. Drums are a level above Crown. Guard is too. Drill content is a dead heat with Crown. Cadets are cleaner visually. The ballad is absolutely beautiful. Where they are taking it on the chin is horns. High brass and middle brass - dead even with Crown. Low brass - not even close. Maybe it's being tech'd that way but the horn sound didn't feel supported fully. Music technically was cleaner than Crown but the GE isn't there yet. Personally, I liked the portion of the show Cadets play backfield then to the end zone. I can see what they're going for with the effect. I haven't seen SCV but Cadets are going to make a serious run at the drum trophy.

Crown: Hello, horn line! WOW! You guys and gals rattled my lungs a couple of times. Yes, please! I felt like the show design is trying to channel Star '93 in a big way. (Except all the body stuff is in the back half of this show.) An unbelievable amount of notes in the horn line. Full, rich, deep dark chocolate sound. Keep cleaning and you'll add another brass trophy. Everyone has heard it before - guard blends too much. They do. I asked about the meaning of the cubes - got the explanation - visually, it's not enough. This show has SO much content that if it can be cleaned - Hello DCI Championship. It's that simple really.

* On a side note - I spoke with the retired band director of Sevierville h/s and he said that they ARE putting turf in next year. He said that this group will be the last that marches on this field as it is. I can't remember 95% of the places I marched but I DO remember this field and everyone that has ever performed on it knows why.

• Like 4

This thread stinks.

Can someone explain to me how almost the same panel of judges move Colts up 3 points tonight as Crossmem move up only 1.1?

What happened in Sevierville?

I felt that Colts had a better show than Crossmen tonight, I actually thought they had them beat.

For those that haven't seen this field in person (neither have I), here are a couple of pics taken at the show yesterday by Cadets volunteer John Zicha that give a bit of perspective on the "hump". In the first one, check out the levels of the sash between the bari and bass. Wow.

sevierville1.jpg

sevierville2.jpg

The caption and subcaption scores are VERY consistent between Cadets and Crown last couple nights.