Marvelous Minneapolis

There are 3 hornline members who will "die" in the planned gunfight during that part of the show. Minnesota Brass still has 7 weeks left in their DCA season so there are a lot of changes/tweaks that need to be put in. It's just that the limited rehearsal time makes it difficult to put in all the changes. The all-age corps are still in the early part of their season.

I thought Minnesota Brass did a very commendable performance when we consider they're limited rehearsal schedule. I enjoyed their show... 'thought it was entertaining and I didn't need 6 paragraphs filled with big words nobody uses in daily conversation to figure out the theme of the show either.

• Like 4

Hmm, news to me? I marched SCV and haven't really heard of a specific Madison/SCV connection.

When I marched in Madison we probably respected SCV more than any other corps, due to their discipline & class.

• Like 3

Cavaliers and Blue Devils aren't exactly DCPs favorite corps, so I always have to be defensive lol

I thought they did very well tonight! I'm sure they will climb up come finals. Great drumline! (always has been one of their strengths )

Some people on DCP dislike the idea that a synth can play lower than the range of the tubas to create a better bottom sound, and they call that sound 'thunderous goo'. Pretty silly, IMO, given how great the corps sound with that added lower bass.

Except they never do. No show I heard tonight benefited from bass synth. Not one. Some managed to keep it so soft as to suffer little, but none were better for it. And I don't "dislike the fact that synth can play lower than the range of the tubas" (strictly speaking, the synths almost never play lower than tubas can play --which is deeper than the bottom note on a piano-- only lower than they can play loud) any more than I dislike the fact that they can play higher than a trumpet. I very much dislike, nay, despise a sound that (1) doesn't blend with the brass; (2) takes no effort to create; and (3) whose volume is not controlled by the player. It's an unnecessary crutch, and a plague on almost all performances (even those otherwise excellent) since 2009.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

Considering the recaps, it looks as though percussion is the major difference between Crown and BD. In matter of fact, the difference equals the spread. Can Crown gain enough ground in the other captions to compensate for this factor?

Wallace: You're not factoring in that only the Effect scores are added to the final score without being divided in half. All other caption scores are divided in half before being added together. Therefore, the 0.50 deficiency between Crown's 4th place Percussion score to BD's 2nd place Percussion score only accounts for 0.25 of the difference between the two corps.

• Like 1

These placements are absurd. How could the Cavaliers pass up the Scouts when they have been behind them all season? Same for Boston Crusaders. This is ########. Madison gets screwed again. I hate this #### scoring process. It is ########, ########, ########. The SCV is boring next to Scouts...no showmanship. And now they are ahead of Blue Coats? this is insane. Madison should have been 6th or 7th. I am appalled.

You may wish to tone down trying to correct the experts who are paid to rank and rate until you learn that "Bluecoats" is spelled as one word. :tongue:

• Like 7

That's the Boo blog. Mentioned earlier in this thread there is a mute icon at the bottom right.

I wasn't responsible for that. I was in a room all by myself. (However, I did break the Internet five years ago in San Antonio. My laptop's motherboard died less than a half minute before both servers crashed in California, caused by a major outage of many sites including TicketMaster, which meant no tickets could be sold via credit card at the gate. Only now can I deal with admitting how I brought the Internet to its knees. :rolleyes:

It's not the system, it's the judges. Go on later, score higher. It's slotting. That is why the corps should go on in the order of their current placement this year, not in the order they finished in last year's finals.

You would thing that, seeing as that they changed the sheets.

Except they never do. No show I heard tonight benefited from bass synth. Not one. Some managed to keep it so soft as to suffer little, but none were better for it. And I don't "dislike the fact that synth can play lower than the range of the tubas" (strictly speaking, the synths almost never play lower than tubas can play --which is deeper than the bottom note on a piano-- only lower than they can play loud) any more than I dislike the fact that they can play higher than a trumpet. I very much dislike, nay, despise a sound that (1) doesn't blend with the brass; (2) takes no effort to create; and (3) whose volume is not controlled by the player. It's an unnecessary crutch, and a plague on almost all performances (even those otherwise excellent) since 2009.

Once drum corps figures out how blend the acoustic and the electric then we'll be good to go. To me, the problem is that the electronic stuff feels sporadic or detached from the corps.

I think the time has come for an audience applause/reaction component to be added to the score sheets. If this scoring category existed in Minneapolis tonight, BD & Cavies would have ranked 11th & 12th place.

• Like 5