Marvelous Minneapolis

Considering the recaps, it looks as though percussion is the major difference between Crown and BD. In matter of fact, the difference equals the spread. Can Crown gain enough ground in the other captions to compensate for this factor?

This is the 64,000 dollar question, and you nailed it. Crown has a real shot here, but they need to a) clean up this demanding drill and B) improve their percussion.

I think it's Crown's to win it if they want to. That is a very interesting show and I like it a lot. they need to clean up their visual and percussion then they can have it. I'm just happy to hear my two favorite pieces together in the same show! Children's hour of dream and Bird & Bella in B flat.

I love the Blue Devils show but if they lose to Crown I think that would be OK! I do think BD will win it all though and then Crown will be utterly unstoppable next year!!!

Last night in Lisle my faith was restored in the activity that I used to love so much. Tonight I completely lost that faith. There wasn't a person at Lisle, including the Cavie fans sitting near me who thought they were even in the same league as Madison. Scouts were great. In Minnesota the Scouts get screwed because they went on so early, & the Cavaliers are overscored because they went on late. Judges cant even get their slotting right. Unless the Cavies improved greatly & the Scouts were really bad, the Cavies should be at least 2 points behind the Scouts. Cavies hornline is dirty as heck & the show...well lets just say that even the Cavie alumns & fans weren't real thrilled with the show in Lisle & they got the least amount of applause & crowd reaction besides Pioneer. Did you know that "in the future, everyone will be world famous for 15 minutes?" If you didn't, not to worry...the Cavies big voice guy narrator will tell you this about 10 times.

The Scouts biggest problem is visually they are dirty & the visual show design just isn't in the same league with the top 6 corps. They need a lot of marching & visual work. The Drum line on the other hand is very very good. I actually thought they were as clean ### SCV, Garfield & Cavies in Lisle. I dont understand how they finished in 10 place in Minny behind the Blue Knights & Boston. Mike Davis should be ashamed of himself.

And then there is the Blue Devils. I used to love this corps. Now I cant stand them. I have no idea what the crap is that they are playing. It is tough on the ears. I don't care how clean it is, the content is brutal. Crown & Garfield have the 2 best shows on the field.

I had it like this:

1. Crown

2. Garfield

3. Phantom

4. Blue Devils

5. SCV

6. Bluecoats

7. Madison

8. Spirit

9. Boston

10. Cavies

11. Blue Knights

12. Crossmen

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

yep. Looks like SCV's percussion is what kept them above Bluecoats. Looks like Crown is a very scant half point down, and it's mainly in percussion. If they clean that up, they could take it all. Also percussion kept Cavies above Scouts and Spirit, they came in 4th there. Which is odd because just earlier this week they were getting beat by Madison in percussion

I wouldn't go that far. SCV was 5th in most subcaptions and higher in a couple here or there. Yes, they were 6th in brass, but that is just part of the story. No one can deny that percussion helped, I am just saying that it isn't like Bluecoats percussion score hurt their chances at beating Vanguard tonight. It is pretty good, as well.

Some people on DCP dislike the idea that a synth can play lower than the range of the tubas to create a better bottom sound, and they call that sound 'thunderous goo'. Pretty silly, IMO, given how great the corps sound with that added lower bass.

LOL Mike! Now you are defending GOO???? Go back and watch Troopers opening statement and... HONESTLY... tell me that they sound "great" with the added lower bass.

• Like 1

It's not the system, it's the judges. Go on later, score higher. It's slotting. That is why the corps should go on in the order of their current placement this year, not in the order they finished in last year's finals.

Heaven forbid the Cavaliers are actually getting "better". I really hope you weren't expecting them to progress at the same rate as Madison. Madison has YET to take their game up a notch. Hence why they're not in the top 8.

If there was a year where slotting wasn't happening, it'd be THIS year.

• Like 3