Teal Sound Ends Tour

Wow. This is horrible news. How many Drum Corps have folded in the middle of the season? The members & their parents certainly cant be happy that they invested their time, effort, & tuition/dues & only get 50% of the season in.

Does anyone know if their members are getting any tour fees back? Or are they out 2000 each for a 2 week tour?

Here's a post below from one of the parents who heard of this decision. A lot of upset parents, members and fans right now and this is the reality of what happens when a drum corps has to make a difficult decision. I hope they can rebound from this. We've gone from hundreds of drum corps in North America when I marched, to a hundred or so and now what, 5-6 dozen remaining? DCI needs to examine how to keep what little active corps left afloat, otherwise every 2-3 years or so, I'm afraid this is a trend that could continue. There are too many corps out there attempting to tour and operate on a shoestring budget. Hope we see you on the field again Teal.

"Disgust is all I feel. Where is all the MONEY ! As parents we work our Butts off to be able to provide the DCI experience for our kids. How disappointing. Out of Money. WHY! Do we get Refunds? DO the kids that were supposed to age out this year get grandfathered in to next year. wheres the outrage from the followers. If you think next year is gonna be better.. your wrong . Nobody in their right mind would trust paying $ 2600 to not get their moneys worth. I'm ######. Also. what happens to the mail we sent the kids for delivery tomorrow? we need answers not the happy regrets from the board".

• Like 4

Again, does anyone know if Teal will reimburse any of their fees? Or did the members pay 2000 in tuition and more in spring training and uniform fees for 3 weeks of tour?

There is no way any due will be reimbursed.

Question: For ageout members, if they did not find a spot with another corps could they petition DCI for another year? Does DCI ever make this kind of provision? If they don't...well they should. In my opinion at least.

Why?

Teal Sound Board of Directors Curtails 2012 Tour

The Board of Directors of the Teal Sound Drum and Bugle Corps has made the difficult decision to end its 2012 tour immediately following tonight’s performance in Centerville, Ohio. Although extremely disappointing for everyone and after considerable discussion and the remarkable generosity of many great people, our board has determined that in order to ensure the safety and best possible experience for our members, it is best to cease our touring operations for the remainder of this season effective immediately. The corps will begin the return trip to Florida on Tuesday, July 10.

Over the course of the past week, Teal Sound and its board have worked closely with Drum Corps International and Executive Director Dan Acheson in an attempt to address mounting financial and logistical challenges facing the organization. DCI and its board of directors have worked on our behalf since becoming aware of our difficulties and have been extremely supportive of our efforts. We cannot thank them enough for their consideration and assistance and for their understanding as we announce this difficult decision.

We sincerely apologize to the members of Teal Sound for having to end the season early and to fans of drum corps who were expecting the corps to perform at events throughout the country. Although difficult, we are confident that this is the right decision for our organization.

We will seize this opportunity to raise additional funds and address areas of opportunity within our operation to ensure a bright future for the Teal Sound and all of its members.

This was just posted to their Facebook. Sad news from Teal, but better to get their finances in order now instead of having to fold after the season

This is sad. Isn't it amazing how we can disagree and bicker about changes in drum corps, hoping this corps beats that one, or that one is getting too much credit for X........That when it comes right down to it, there are alot of passionate drum corps fans who as whole care very much about keeping it alive and unify- when we see one corps struggle such as this. Here's to Teal Sound coming back bigger and better in '13.

• Like 1

I think that DCI should make an exception and allow any age-outs in Teal the opportunity to march again next year if they wanted. Especially if they can't find a spot in another corps.

Why?

I realize that, at the current moment, the focus of everyone is going to be for the current members and their well-being and I totally can understand that. But, here's the way I see this unfolding. Next year will be my age-out year. I've never marched drum corps but I'm planning on it next year. Teal Sound was actually going to be my number one choice of auditioning for. There are many reasons, but when it comes right down to it, the location of them compared to where I live is the only thing reasonable, other than Spirit. I'm more than 4 hours to either corps, either way. I sure hope these kids can find places to go elsewhere for the remainder of this year.

Again, I understand that 2013 isn't top priority, but what would you do if you were in my shoes and you were so hopeful about auditioning for Teal? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or negative in any way...it's a legitimate question that I now face.

I realize that, at the current moment, the focus of everyone is going to be for the current members and their well-being and I totally can understand that. But, here's the way I see this unfolding. Next year will be my age-out year. I've never marched drum corps but I'm planning on it next year. Teal Sound was actually going to be my number one choice of auditioning for. There are many reasons, but when it comes right down to it, the location of them compared to where I live is the only thing reasonable, other than Spirit. I'm more than 4 hours to either corps, either way. I sure hope these kids can find places to go elsewhere for the remainder of this year.

Again, I understand that 2013 isn't top priority, but what would you do if you were in my shoes and you were so hopeful about auditioning for Teal? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or negative in any way...it's a legitimate question that I now face.

Honestly? There's a 130+ kids getting on a bus tomorrow who have paid over 2000 dollars and hours of blood, sweat, and tears who will be home this time next week. I would ask one of them about how much you can trust the organization to deliver.

• Like 2

I think its too early to really know what to do yet. I would recommend you keep practicing the way you were in order to prepare for an audition, and see how things unfold. This news isn't even 4 hours old. We don't even know if Teal will be out at all next year. Wait and see.

While it breaks my heart to see all those kids have their season cut short, you might want to consider what the alternatives might have been. Suppose Teal tried to "stretch dollars" , "cut corners" and tried to make it to the end of the season on a wish, prayers, and fumes in the gas tank? Sure MAYBE things would work out "alright" but is it really worth that risk? And where would the corps be at the end of the season if it tried to "stretch a dollar" to finish tour? It's much better for the members safety and welfare to bring them home now and reorganize, fundraise, and get the corps back on solid ground !

Heartbreaking news though. I hope all the corps in DCI who may have a hole to fill reach out to the Teal membership so those kids have a chance to march the rest of the season.