Teal Sound Ends Tour

First Racine, now Teal Sound. :sad:

This is a rough week for drum corps. I am praying and hoping that both Teal Sound and Racine come back next season.

I remember seeing Teal Sound when I was on tour with Pioneer in 2009. They were Open Class then but they gave off a very World Class-like presence. Our wonderful activity is too small to lose another corps. I understand that they are not folding, but are simply ending tour, but there obviously are issues they must fix before they return. I have full faith they will do so.

WOW! This is shocking news...My heart goes out to the Teal Sound members, staff, and parents of this fine organization both past and present. You guys played your hearts out for me at the Jackson, NJ show that I attended and I thank you for that! I sincerely hope to see you again next year. I also applaud the board for making a prudent, but obviously very unpopular decision to end tour early. You obviously have the kids safety and best interest at heart.

Good luck TS! Hope you memebers find a home this summer.

very sad ( for the members )although Im not surprised after all the things said from staff as well as Board members last year( not being paid , etc etc )

many have said it over and over to people debating...just because you can be WC doesnt mean some should....and then theres that Florida curse..ughhh so many good corps lost........It would be nice if Teal gave out maybe a roster of kids and their talents to other corps to place as many as possible..the least they can do.Especially those kids who have been responsible and paid

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 5

Really hoping the kids are able to find homes for the summer, whether it be in WC/OC or DCI/DCA.

There are so many issues with this, first and foremost being the kids who have already paid for a full tour and now appear to be eligible for few options beyond "take the bus home." If I were a staff member, I'd be making phone calls (not e-mails) to every World and Open Class corps interested in taking on former students at a reduced cost. Knowing a few of them as I do, I know that some of them are.

Additionally, one has to question the administrative decision by the organization that has appeared to have released this news at 11:30 P.M. EST on a Monday night. There will be lots of parents up all night worried sick about their children in Florida tonight. As I mentioned earlier, staff and membership should be given an opportunity to move beyond this organization's decision to end tour. News this big seems more like 8:00 A.M. kind of news to me, and unless the membership was informed in advance (unlikely) I really hate to picture that there are members whose options are "bus to Florida" and "chance it with an iPhone at your local Greyhound station."

I'm quite sad to see the lights go out, again, for Florida's only native World Class corps. It obviously does not bode well for the future of the Orlando show or the activity in the state. My heart goes out to the members for whom, if the numbers held up, could have arguably been in a dogfight for semifinals or even finals (that's the kool aid I'd be drinking if I were marching, anyways).

I certainly hope that this administration has the opportunity to re-establish credibility for their organization. I'm under 30 and I know about BAC 1982, and that organization has done quite well for itself lately. Condolences and best of luck, Teal.

• Like 3

I realize that, at the current moment, the focus of everyone is going to be for the current members and their well-being and I totally can understand that. But, here's the way I see this unfolding. Next year will be my age-out year. I've never marched drum corps but I'm planning on it next year. Teal Sound was actually going to be my number one choice of auditioning for. There are many reasons, but when it comes right down to it, the location of them compared to where I live is the only thing reasonable, other than Spirit. I'm more than 4 hours to either corps, either way. I sure hope these kids can find places to go elsewhere for the remainder of this year.

Again, I understand that 2013 isn't top priority, but what would you do if you were in my shoes and you were so hopeful about auditioning for Teal? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or negative in any way...it's a legitimate question that I now face.

If you want to march Teal, you should definitely audition. BUT, you should also be prepared to ask questions about what happened this year and what they plan to do next year to prevent it (new funding, shorter tour, etc.). If you don't like what you hear, you at least have other options (you mentioned Spirit which would be a great choice also). I wouldn't write them off just yet, but don't go in blind either.

For any of us older folks out there, we should ask them the same questions. If you like what they are saying, consider dropping them a check next year when you send one to "your" corps. If the organization is seriously prepared to right this ship, I am sure they could use everyone's help!!

• Like 6

I'm sure there will be several members of Teal Sound that will be able to find homes at other corps. The corps directors on the road have known that this was going to happen long before it was officially announced. I'm sure they've already started talking to members to start filling holes.