Blue Devils on top...really?

What he meant was that if the corps switched shows, Devils would still be hated and Crown would still be god's gift to DCI. It's not at all about show design, not one bit.

Well then I have to respectfully disagree. I'm an SCV fan but I didn't like their design last year and if they were marching BDs show this year, guess what? Wouldn't like it.

Sorry but this is about design - not about victimization. I would love to have Devils get out of the artsy shows and just blow the house down. It doesn't seem to be what this design team is about and as long as that's true, I'm not going to be a fan. Sorry - but that's the way it really is.....

• Like 4

They aren't the first corps to downplay audience response. Many have prior, and many will in the future. I can think of years where Cadets basically flipped a bird to what most audiences thought of their program, and hell, Star of Indiana much?

During the the final years of Stewart's tenure with Madison, most of the posts were how they were about performing for the fans and not the judges. (From some of the post Minn. posts however, some of the guys may have changed their tune.)

• Like 1

Yes, there are some but I guess it is just preference...I would like to enjoy the whole drum corps competition, not just parts of it...much like I wish to enjoy the whole movie not just the CGI effects. There has to be a plot also.

Of course, there are people here in DCP-land who think that there is entirely too much 'plot' in drum corps shows these days.

What about those who like what the BD do better than what most of the other corps do? Is there no room for variety in drum corps? Again...there are posters who moan and complain that there is no variety. Odd.

What I'd like to see happen on DCP with regards to the Blue Devils . . .

1. For those who don't like BD's shows to realize that there is not some conspiracy to keep BD in first place. When a corps has no weaknesses year in and year out they're going to win a lot. And just because a show is not as popular as other shows doesn't mean it's not a winner. That's the way this activity is set up. Yeah, I know, the sheets have changed . . . but did anyone really think that would make a difference?

2. For those who do like BD's shows to stop thinking that the anti-BD crowd consists of troglodytes possessed by some preternatural hatred of all things Blue Devils. Sure, there are some of those out there . . . but for most people it's the shows, period. I think Cabaret Voltaire is a spectacularly well-designed and arranged program. Perfect staging, mind-blowing brass and percussion, visually cohesive. It's everything a great drum corps show should be (IMO). That said, I don't find it particularly innovative, thought-provoking, or intellectual. Just good drum corps. And I can understand why it doesn't suit everyone's tastes. Let's face, Cabaret Voltaire is not what most drum corps fans plunk down there hard-earned dollars to see. That doesn't necessarily make them morons.

• Like 6

That's Dr. Dada McCrabcakes sir.

As I see it, the 2012 show theme from the Blue Devils pays homage to a small group of pop culture artists ( Dada Group ) that migrated to posh Zurich Switzerland in the 1920's. The Dadaists as they called themselves flaunted conventionality, intellectualism, and conformity, and rationality. As such the byproduct of their art work had lots of elements of the nonsense, or what would be called " anti intellectualism". You are to observe the work not through the normal channels of intellect, reason and logic.... but through the emotional senses of the appreciation of anarchy, nonsense, chaos, absurdity, and so forth.

So how does this relate to the Blue Devils scoring highly so far in the DCI judging community in, for example, the General Effect Music and Visual Captions ? Well, if we look at this rationally, it would appear that the GE judges are being asked how much nonsense they can take this year from the Blue Devils. The answer to this question so far appears to be: " a lot ". The GE caption judges are rewarding the Corps for perfectly ( in their evaluation and observation ) capturing the sheer brillance of this absurd theme and show. Now this is what MY reasoning is telling me as to what the judges are thinking when they are rewarding the BD in the General Effect Music caption for example. On the other hand, if my reasoning is flawed here on why the BD are scoring so high right now in the General Effect Music caption, it might be because I'm not as nonsensical as I need to be in my observations. If I was a Dada ( or a supporter of this anarchy on the field ) I would have reached the level of illogical and irrational thought awhile ago that this all requires and commands to be fully appreciated as it is by some fans and most of the judges. But be patient with fans like me. We are a work in progress. Don't give up the hope that someday we can't reach this level of acceptance of the beauty and briliance of something that is of such sheer and utter nonsense out on the field.

Edited by BRASSO

I just got back from Rockford. It was a great show, but the lowlight for me was the Blue Devils show. In my opinion, it was by far the least audience engaging show of the night. They went on first, and I liked all the shows that followed better. And the the judges put them in first by a comfortable margin? I understand they are an extremely talented group of kids, but aren't the new scoring sheets supposed to reward entertaining and engaging the audience? They sounded like they were back to bleeps and blops which the judges apparently still eat up. Play a frickin melody that will leave me humming to myself after the show.

My only other gripe is that there were no 'instant encores' this year at this TOC event. Disappointing. Guess the corps wanted to get out of there. Long drive ahead of them.

Otherwise, the show was great. Great venue. Nice summer evening. Phantom was great. Also enjoyed the Cadets much more than I thought I would.

I am not the biggest fan of BD nor do I dislike them at the level that some folks have shared. But they have found a formula that works for them and the sheets by which the judges have to use. I don't care what you feed those kids they will perform the heck out of it and at the highest level. Let me share a quick story with you about Blue Devils. One year in Allentown they were staying at a school really close to the stadium. I watched these kids (and OMG they are kids) walk down the hill to their practice field. After going through all the body warmups, horn warmups, and finally getting to ensemble you could see they were very serious about what they were doing. That same evening I saw those same kids now in their BD uniforms and OMG they were a different animal getting ready to take the field. Those kids ooze confidence when it come to performing. So I for one appreciate the ART that they do put on the field whether we get it or like it. The problem every year with BD is will they peak too soon? Everyone wants Crown to win so bad but when you have corps like BD and Cadets who every year want to win too...well the days of having co-winners are over. Having the most difficult show ever may not be the formula to winning this year and IMO it will take more than a hornline to win a championship.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

When i come to a show I arrive very early and watch every single corps no matter how small or out of tune. I also applaud every single corps even if i did not like their show. I used to think drm corps was unique in that no one EVER says Boo!

• Like 2

When i come to a show I arrive very early and watch every single corps no matter how small or out of tune. I also applaud every single corps even if i did not like their show. I used to think drm corps was unique in that no one EVER says Boo!

Agreed! Booing at a drum corps show is unacceptable. We're dealing with kids here! Hard-working, intelligent and talented kids, that are doing something worthwhile with their free time. That's what is really important.

Yes, there are some but I guess it is just preference...I would like to enjoy the whole drum corps competition, not just parts of it...much like I wish to enjoy the whole movie not just the CGI effects. There has to be a plot also.

That's a very valid point, except that a movie is generally based on a single theme/story/plot while a show is multiple, individual (and exclusive) stories. I guess to carry the movie metaphor, it would be like going to see Twilight Zone: The Movie or Creepshow. Yeah, it's one "movie" but the stories are all independent of one another, which increases the chances that you may not prefer one of the vignettes, while enjoying the rest. Does that make sense?