Blue Devils on top...really?

if this is a joke i laugh if its a shot at BD i say really? Merry Christmas

Most prerecorded narration is awful: BD- obtrusive and The Cadets- Unnecessary thumbdown.gif

• Like 4

Much like 2009, BD's show has half the difficulty of Crown's show. In DCI, cleanliness wins, innovation and difficulty do not. Which is ironic, because that was the whole reason for leaving the tick system in 1984 in the first place: the tick system was crushing the corps trying to do cool new things in favor of simpler shows that were cleaner. And here we are again.

True story. Maybe it's time we look at the way things are judged, and find either a new system, or a more defined system? Or maybe just new judges. We can change the sheets all that DCI wants, but until the people reading the sheets change, I honestly don't think that any kind of change could be done. It would be like changing how Congress votes and holds its meetings, but keeping all of the members the same.

Dear Crown,

If you don't beat the Blue Devils this year consider your status as DCI Darling revoked. Please, please, please prove that the best DCI show is about about risk, and doing near impossible things on a football field and not about smoke and mirrors. Dada is poopoo! Go Crown! Please!!!!

Love,

-Charlie1223

P.S judges, please figure it out!

I couldn't agree more...and the shows that I have attended with BD in competition, the fans agree too. f all the shows I have seen this year, there are at least a dozen other shows I would rather watch than BD's. Whoever said that Downey now writes sound effects couldn't be more correct. Drum Corps should be all about the music. Who in the world would actually listen to BD's show? You would have to strap me down & force me to listen because is a painful listen for me. I was encouraged last year when BD played the Burt show, which was very musical & full of melody. I had hopes that BD might return to playing music, rather than sound effects, dissonance & nonsense. Unfortunately they didn't.

• Like 7

True story. Maybe it's time we look at the way things are judged, and find either a new system, or a more defined system? Or maybe just new judges. We can change the sheets all that DCI wants, but until the people reading the sheets change, I honestly don't think that any kind of change could be done. It would be like changing how Congress votes and holds its meetings, but keeping all of the members the same.

Judges evaluate the corps using the criteria and direction they are provided by DCI. If DCI wants a wholesale change in how corps are evaluated, then the judges would be given those new criteria and directions, and they would judge the corps based on those items.

A lot of the DCI judges also judge in various band circuits, each with different criteria, so I don't think they would have a problem adjusting if DCI wanted a change.

Much like 2009, BD's show has half the difficulty of Crown's show. In DCI, cleanliness wins, innovation and difficulty do not. Which is ironic, because that was the whole reason for leaving the tick system in 1984 in the first place: the tick system was crushing the corps trying to do cool new things in favor of simpler shows that were cleaner. And here we are again.

If we all we want to do is reward difficulty (since most of the arguments are about how Crown's show is harder than BDs) then we may as well strike the "Achievement" part from the sheets. Did you realize that a good portion of BD 2009 is at 234 BPM? I'd say that qualifies for difficulty. Crown ran around the field a bunch... this is not the only difficulty there is.

• Like 2

If we all we want to do is reward difficulty (since most of the arguments are about how Crown's show is harder than BDs) then we may as well strike the "Achievement" part from the sheets. Did you realize that a good portion of BD 2009 is at 234 BPM? I'd say that qualifies for difficulty. Crown ran around the field a bunch... this is not the only difficulty there is.

Let's not minimize what anyone is doing. Both shows this year are difficult. May the best corps win!

Let's not minimize what anyone is doing. Both shows this year are difficult. May the best corps win!

You're right. The drill is difficult (and some of it is really cool- I love the cube). There's some drill in '09 that is great too.