San Antonio Sizzler!

You sir (or madam) clearly do not what general effect is. It's not general appeal, it's how effective a show design/performance is. Liking/disliking the show is one thing: trying to argue it lacks general effect is flat out wrong (or naive, or maybe just plain bias against)

That is exactly what I'm doing. Arguing that it lacks effect. I understand. Thanks for giving me your understanding of what GE is.

• Like 3

Wow, Crown is boring me tonight and what is with the slop? would love to see Phantom pass them and Cadets tonight.

• Like 4

Nope. But if you are going to make naive criticisms of it, at least know what you are talking about.

There are quite a few shows that I don't really care for this year. Do I now need to go to Wiki to learn why I don't like them?

• Like 2

Look up Dada on wikipedia. You might get it. Probably not though.

Thanks for the classy response. I have researched Dada, and yes, the whole point of it to be divisive. It's meant to incite strange reactions and annoy people. It's supposed to be chaotic and ironic and crazy. Yes. But to say that they aren't purposefully designing a show they know won't be a crowd favorite, or isn't "ironic" is pretty strange statement to make. The hipster movement recently has claimed that "irony" is the cornerstone of what they do, they try and be out there and weird. And this is what I see this show as. No need for personal attacks on other people's intelligence, okay? Try and keep it classy on here

• Like 3

Spoken like a true BD fan... :rolleyes:

Not a BD fan at all. To be honest, I have never liked them before this year. I prefer almost all of the other top 8 or 9 corps to BD in most years. But to say that BD's show is "hipsterish" is just naive.

• Like 2

I think that is a valid criticism. Sometimes I think they spend so much effort on pushing the envelope, that they drop the ball on other aspects. I hated their 2010 show alot, and don't remember their show last year at all (despite seeing it on several occassions). This year it works for me though.

I had problems with the 2010 show most of that season, but something clicked for me near the end and I ended up loving it. The difference for me between 2010 and this year is that 2010 still had a music focus, whereas this year the design's call for chaos makes it almost impossible to latch onto any musical theme. I am more of an audio person than visual, mainly because my eyesight has been poor all my life, so that is where my show preferences tend to focus as a result. When this year's show does stick with a musical theme, such as the Mingus or Sebesky selections, I LOVE it. But what they do to the Apollo 13 theme, which, in its original form, is such an understated and regal theme, completely annoys me. Hence my love/hate relationship with this show.

• Like 1