San Antonio Sizzler!

Good for you. But don't try and tear down other people for not enjoying it. Some people only get one read at a show, and if they don't like it, they're not going to go research it and learn about it and then change their mind. Some more serious fans will, but lots of casual fans don't care enough to go look up Wikipedia articles in order to have a show explained to them.

I am not tearing down anyone for not liking the show. No one has to like it. As I have said, I have hated a lot of BD shows so I understand. That doesn't mean that naive criticism, like suggesting the show is "hipsterish," don't deserve a response?

• Like 1

Has there ever been a better brass line than this year's Crown brass line? It is jaw dropping at times. I still am not the biggest fan of Fanfare for drum corps though.

And this is why we have "personal opinions" instead of "personal facts" when it comes to musical taste. Yes, I think there is a better horn line, Blue Devils, and at least early season Cadets horns were every bit as good, and I love Fanfare for the Common Man!

Jasgre, I respect your opinion and it counts every bit as much as mine. Good stuff. :cool:

• Like 1

Not unless you are going to make naive criticisms of them. You don't have to like any show, and you don't have to give a good reason for not liking it. But don't make a stupid argument and expect people to not comment on it.

P.S. I realize you didn't make any specific criticisms of BD's show, but I am explainng why I told someone else to look at the background of the show.

I wouldn't consider anyone's criticisms as naive when it comes to this show as its meaning is beaten over our heads for twelve minutes.

There are as many legitimate reasons to dislike BD's show as there are to like it. Just because you disagree with a person's opinion (or the majority's opinion for that matter) doesn't mean it's invalid. If you like it that's cool, but please don't place an ignominious label on a person just because they dislike something you enjoy.

• Like 1

It really feels to me after watching the FN streams tonight that Blue Devils & Crown are on another plane compared to everyone else. I think BD is ahead at this point (though I'm pulling for Crown), but I don't think either corps is sweating Top 2 at this point. Phantom & Cadets also seem close, and I think either can beat the other with the right performance. The groupings really seem to hold up:

* BD & Crown

* Phantom & Cadets

* SCV & Bluecoats

Cavaliers don't look to be close to Top 6 this year, and neither, really, does anyone else. I can see Cavaliers, BAC & Scouts duking it out all year, and neither ranking order of those three would surprise me or seem 'wrong.'

• Like 2

Not unless you are going to make naive criticisms of them. You don't have to like any show, and you don't have to give a good reason for not liking it. But don't make a stupid argument and expect people to not comment on it.

I just don't understand why some people take it so personal when you don't like their favorite show/corps. Take a breath. Calling people "stupid" and "naive" is not gonna gain you many friends. It's just drumcorps. It's not important. Like what you like, hate what you hate, and I'll do the same. To each his/her own. :cool:

• Like 6

I've found that knowing what source material corps draw from when designing a show is pretty helpful when trying to understand a show. I think just knowing it revolves around the Dada movement is enough to make one understand the broad intent of their show. I actually didn't realize until really recently that Crown referenced Superman in their 'Uncommon man' theme, and I generally believe most modern drum corps shows are fairly complex. Heck, I personally have no clue WTF Scouts are trying to do from a design standpoint, but I dig their mash-ups of songs and obviously their constant visual 'frames' tie in with the concept.

I don't think you have to research shows to understand them, but if definitely helps. I can 100% appreciate (outright love) the ending of 2001 without really understanding what the intent of the final scenes are (though I do now, I certainly didn't when I was younger and loved that movie for decades before "getting" the intent of the ending).

Think of it like watching Lawrence of Arabia with a foreign language overdubbed in place of your native language. You can still follow the action well enough, but knowing the dialogue SIGNIFICANTLY helps.

Yeah, you do make a good point (I also appreciate the way you posted your thoughts). I have looked up source information before, (Symphonie Fantastique, for example) so yeah... I'll retract my earlier post about research.

Still doesn't get me to like BD's show, though. :cool:

Why did I get a negative for saying the screamers from Crossmen and Colts were louder than the Cadets and BD whom used a mic? I'm here at the stadium and am being corrected by an armchair judge? Whatever

Maybe because you misused the word whom.

• Like 4

From what I have seen of the top five corps the last two weeks, this is Dev's game to lose. Crown is just missing the mark with their show but don't think it can get over that hump. SCV has a gorgeous sound and beautiful book of drill...I could see them making things interesting in the next couple weeks.

Cadets have the best overall shot of catching Dev's if they can get clean enough and they start poppIng better GE numbers...that's the way I see it!