San Antonio Sizzler!

So... we need to start looking up Wiki (a very reliable source rolleyes.gif) to understand a show. Really?

I've found that knowing what source material corps draw from when designing a show is pretty helpful when trying to understand a show. I think just knowing it revolves around the Dada movement is enough to make one understand the broad intent of their show. I actually didn't realize until really recently that Crown referenced Superman in their 'Uncommon man' theme, and I generally believe most modern drum corps shows are fairly complex. Heck, I personally have no clue WTF Scouts are trying to do from a design standpoint, but I dig their mash-ups of songs and obviously their constant visual 'frames' tie in with the concept.

I don't think you have to research shows to understand them, but if definitely helps. I can 100% appreciate (outright love) the ending of 2001 without really understanding what the intent of the final scenes are (though I do now, I certainly didn't when I was younger and loved that movie for decades before "getting" the intent of the ending).

Think of it like watching Lawrence of Arabia with a foreign language overdubbed in place of your native language. You can still follow the action well enough, but knowing the dialogue SIGNIFICANTLY helps.

• Like 2

Crown really recovered from last nights lackluster performance. Good Job

I thought they marched a much better performance as well. Same with Cadets.

• Like 2

I was entertained, and I know many others that have been too.

Good for you. But don't try and tear down other people for not enjoying it. Some people only get one read at a show, and if they don't like it, they're not going to go research it and learn about it and then change their mind. Some more serious fans will, but lots of casual fans don't care enough to go look up Wikipedia articles in order to have a show explained to them.

• Like 3

Love the way Crown plays and visually they are getting real clean but here is my issue...there is ton of movement on that field but with the current design there should be way more payoff for what they are achieving. Demand and execution is there...visual effect is just falling short of the mark...just can't quite put my finger on why though.

• Like 1

Phantom was terrific tonight! I hope they widened the gap between them and the Cadets tonight!

• Like 1

Love the way Crown plays and visually they are getting real clean but here is my issue...there is ton of movement on that field but with the current design there should be way more payoff for what they are achieving. Demand and execution is there...visual effect is just falling short of the mark...just can't quite put my finger on why though.

If you slow it down to 1/5th the speed and play the music backwards it is actually BD's show set for set, note for note. Plays a real trick on one's mind sped up and played backwards. :tongue:

I'm gonna try that!

And this looks to be the 2012 Champion?

Go figure. It ain't over until, as they say, the fat lady sings, the Hero overcomes, or the the judges go Gaga for DaDa.

Wouldn't go that far...Madison and Jersey Surf had better crowd responses. Check the tape.

The nice thing about this is, we can provide verification to this. BD probably performed before a larger audience in this Texas stadium because of their prime evening time slot in this too. ( 10:30pm ) Jersey Surf performed this afternoon at 3:30 pm Texas Time. If we go to the end of BD's show and listen to the audience reception on stored FN, then to Jersey Surf audience reception, I think its indisputable that this audience today in Texas liked Jersey Surf's performance more than the Blue Devils. Its all right there on the stored tape. And I don't imagine that Jersey Surf brought more of their fans to San Antonio than did the Blue Devils. Good for Jersey Surf.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5