Little to No Love for Christmas Music

I don't quite understand George's discussion the other day of the difficulties of restaging the ballad, and how he kept emphasizing that the guard is the focus, not the brass.

It IS possible for us to have our cake and eat it too. Just look at what Cadets did to Canterbury Chorale in 1998. The Guard was spread all throughout the middle of the field with those huge double flags while the brass was further forward giving us both an audio and visual masterpiece worth watching and listening to again and again. While the emphasis in that piece appeared to be on the guard, the brass still was able to convey the feeling and emotion of that piece and gave the audience what they liked.

If before "Black Friday" a Christmas song comes on the radio, I turn the channel. I purposely edit my hearing of any Christmas tunes before that date, otherwise it is just too much for me. Same goes for ads in the paper, commercials...anything Christmas. I'll listen after the holidays until I'm sick of it, usually about as long as it's played (around New Years at the latest).

I just can't but think two things about this production. One is that the staff and members are going to be so saturated with Christmas music that they will likely spend their holiday on a tropical island far from western Christmas culture, or just shoot that radio every time a song comes on. Secondly, I can't but think The Cadets have a lock on December corps advertising for the next 50 years. They should record chunks of the show for future use during the holidays.

• Like 1

There is a lot of Christmas music I like, but I get sick of it around the holidays because (a) there is already so much of it being played everywhere I go and (b) it reminds me of all the personal stress I feel around the holidays.

The thing is, neither (a) nor (b) are an issue here in the middle of the summer, and I can actually enjoy the music for what it is. So even though I cringed when it was announced I find myself liking the show quite a lot.

ya know, if they are gonna keep those slides, they need to go Christmas Story with it.

There's a ton of opportunities for humor thaty won't be cheesy

This thread should be about the stigma of christmas music. I think I hear more of the same pop songs playing throughout the year than I do christmas music 2 months of the year. Plus, everyone complains about the radio and its incessant playing of x-mas music? Are we still in 00's? Listen to your freakin' ipod in the car and you don't have to complain about it!

People who are making themselves victims of Christmas Music is pretty much the biggest load of crap. If people can be so disassociated from the media as to not know what's going on in their world, they sure as hell don't have to be victims of Christmas music...

People are being babies... They can still hate the show, but seriously need to get over the dread of christmas instilled in their soul because of Christmas music...

:w00t:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

This thread should be about the stigma of christmas music. I think I hear more of the same pop songs playing throughout the year than I do christmas music 2 months of the year. Plus, everyone complains about the radio and its incessant playing of x-mas music? Are we still in 00's? Listen to your freakin' ipod in the car and you don't have to complain about it!

People who are making themselves victims of Christmas Music is pretty much the biggest load of crap. If people can be so disassociated from the media as to not know what's going on in their world, they sure as hell don't have to be victims of Christmas music...

People are being babies... They can still hate the show, but seriously need to get over the dread of christmas instilled in their soul because of Christmas music...

I've never been a big radio listener. I'm talking about in stores. Although to be fair, I listen to my ipod while shopping most of the time these days, as well. :lookaround:

It IS possible for us to have our cake and eat it too. Just look at what Cadets did to Canterbury Chorale in 1998. The Guard was spread all throughout the middle of the field with those huge double flags while the brass was further forward giving us both an audio and visual masterpiece worth watching and listening to again and again. While the emphasis in that piece appeared to be on the guard, the brass still was able to convey the feeling and emotion of that piece and gave the audience what they liked.

Apparently they now have a turn front field at the climax of the ballad -- my understanding from one of the daily updates. Not sure what the guard is doing, but YAY!

I think they turn in ballad to the audience at the hit. Not sure if they did it in Dallas or if tonight is the first. I think they are done with changes at this point and will just try to stay competitive with a strong music scores and hopefully GE visual moves up a bit with performance levels.