The door's open

It seems, to me, that the percussion scores (except for the Regiment) are all over the board. For example, Vanguard wins it, Cadets win it, Cavies win it, BD wins it, then BD is 4th. BD scoring 18's then 17's. Is this some lame attempt to make the season seem more competitive than it really is, just to try and maintain some interest and get people to Indy? As much as I would like to say this would never happen, nothing surprises me with DCI any more.

BD & Crown are at two more shows together before Indy. Unless by some miracle (or some cleverly designed evil plan) Crown passes BD in one of those two shows, BD will go on to collect ring #15. Then we will know that all is right in the world. All the wars will stop and world hunger will end.

But what do I know? I called it a Cavaliers year in May!

RM

And if that happens (and I will be taking a clooooose look at the FN for that set of "can it happen?" ingredients)...that might (might, may, could, possibly) leave that phenom Spirit show in 12th. Can you imagine that's what it takes to make Finals anymore? Amazing.

Still holding out on Glassmen for a late run. Didnt see them bumping Spirit. Who knows? A fun week or so left. (and RockyGranite is a BK homer...good for him!)

I AM a BK homer...no denying that, but my prediction isn't just sticking up for my Corps. (at least I don't think so)

BK closed within .7 of Spirit at Atlanta...up from 1.8 difference in S.A.

BK has lots of room to improve and their whole season has been designed to peak at finals...not before. This is from BK staff...I guess last year they peaked early and it hurt them. They don't want that to happen again.

I'm not discounting Spirit, either. That's why I think they'll be on each other to the end.

If Scouts or Cavies peak any time before finals, I think Spirit, BK or both could pass them.

I really think the bottom of the final 12 will be a bloodbath of competition.

As I'm reading it...BK and Blue Stars, etc are getting some love. If Spirit's show is what it takes to make finals, then the bar is waaaaaaaaaay high. Compliment to Spirit. And DCI. No disrespect. :) (Sensitive bunch here; hard to get out of your own way on DCP....). Thanks for picking it apart. If you like one, you must hate all others. Or something. Trophies for all.

Makes sense... I agree. You never know when you're gonna get grilled here. I wouldn't have grilled ya. I was just trying to understand what you meant... Thanks man.

have to agree here. But, OC SCVC and then BDB seems to be the direction. I know neither BDB or SCVC was happy the other day with their performances, but I wonder if BDB can get clean in time. SCVC will be very clean, they always are. And OC has been coming on strong for a few years...

I know SCVC's horn line was flat as a pancake for their last show. I can tell you that they have been making up for it in practice. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. I don't have any inside info for BDB, but they are a bunch of pro's and I see them fighting to the end. Oregon has a great show and a talented bunch this year. Just a great top 3 in OC this year. Fans are in for a treat this year.

Glassmen and Crossmen both, I think, have a reasonable possibility of making finals. Knowing the DCI judging community's behavior as I do, though, I think they have Crossmen slotted to fall into 13th or 14th for this year. They should be extremely proud of the strides they have made within, what I think, is becoming the most competitive region of the activity, places 10-17 in the World Class. Glassmen tied Blue Stars early on in the season (anyone still remember that?) and had made finals for 6 consecutive seasons before last year, not to mention they have the best hornline the corps has EVER presented. I do think that if anyone is going to actually nip the Blue Stars it will be Glassmen, as Crossmen have been consistently nipping at heels for weeks.

There's never a lot of chatter on DCP regarding the Glassmen because they keep a "low profile" in terms of publicity, but I actually thought they got hosed in several captions at ATL, yet still managed to sparkle because GE is finally coming out of the basement and percussion numbers stayed where they've needed to be all summer. The hornline has been pretty consistently in 12th at regionals, suddenly in ATL 14th, GCG from 14 to 17 (say whaaat), and one of the strangest anomalies I have seen in judging consistently occurs where the corps will be placed 12th in percussion and brass but 16th or so in analysis. I don't understand how this happens, but I definitely see it's been killing their music score all summer.

However, what changed in ATL is that suddenly Glassmen's GE marks, which have hung around 16th this entire summer, pulled up to give the kids' performance scores a chance to shine through, putting in a music GE score that is just .05 off of Blue Stars'. If Glassmen want to make finals, they need to put some more gas into GE Visual, Guard, and Analysis. Given that these are very strange captions for the corps to be lacking in, I suspect they will pull out all the stops and show us some of the August fire the corps is legendary for.

The door is wide open.

Anyone see the scores from CROWN beat???

picky picky! Can always count on the DCP crowd ! :w00t:

Edited OP (about halfway). :satisfied:

There are also no DCI corps in ME, VT, NH, CT, RI, FL, VA, MD, DE, AL, MI, LA, AR, AK, HI, TN, KY, WV, IN, MI, MO, OK, KS, NE, NV, ND, SD, NM, UT, MT, ID or NY (but there used to be).

There are Open Class corps in NH, TN, and MI. Spartans, Music City and Legends hail from those state.

Glassmen ... have the best hornline the corps has EVER presented.

Better than in their "Age of Gold" years?

• Like 1

Just posted this in the Atlanta topic, thought it could be relevant here.

Blue Knights: what a difference a month makes! Saw the show live in Arizona and thought they'd be lucky to make Finals. So happy I was wrong. I really, really liked this show and their design choices. Such an improvement. Congrats! There is no way this show is not making finals, and Spirit better watch out, this show can catch them.

Cavies: You have my vote for most improved. This show is sooooo entertaining and the guys know how to perform the hell out of it. Im not sure why the guard is getting criticized so much, the drill has them all over the field and the book seems to be just as hard as everyone infront of them. As a whole, the drill looks a thousand times better then earlier in the season and the musical/visual transitions make sense now. No matter where the men in green place, I have a feeling they're gonna be a crowd favorite in Indy. I cant't wait to see this show live. It may not be your traditional drum corps show, but #### did it make me smile. Including today, Cavies have 5 practice days before Indy, alot can still be added and cleaned. Are they gonna medal, no. Could they surprise someone infront of them, absolutely.

• Like 3

see what i mean? :)

There are Open Class corps in NH, TN, and MI. Spartans, Music City and Legends hail from those state.