Blue Knights over Glassmen and Crossmen?

Ok I'm a BK megafan, but are you guys seriously not seeing the challenge involved with BK on the field? The drill is insane... Outside of the top 6 tell me a corps with more field coverage and up tempo 180+ marching? If i wanted to pick on others id talk about Spirit hardly ever actually marching and playing... Go look, are they fantastic? Sure but they march then stop/play... March then stop/ play etc....As to the playing... They're playing just as much as anyone and have beaten both BStars and spirit in horns numerous times the past few weeks. They didn't last night, but they're all very similiar in quality... I'm not sure the question?? Is BK gonna be a finalist? I'm betting yes and likely either solidly 10th or 11th... Folks they're basically tied-.25 for tenth... So what's the question? Are they bad and being given a spot? NO!! BK has missed finals in heartbreaking fashion (2002) and there was no favoritism shown. Here's the fact- drum corps has it's vest 1-19 ever... Jersey Surf is bad arse!! Colts, Troop, Academy, GMen, XMen would make finals any other year... BK has a finalist product that they're performing at a finalist level!!! They're being well received and getting great crowd response! Even those saying they dance too much... Uhhh preshow.... They don't dance or do visuals anymore than anyone else for their show! Sorry if some people on this board don't like BK but the audience does and they're likely solidly in for Saturday!

Wes P

Not as much super fast marching, but I think Boston is definitely up there in field-coverage (along with BK and BD) - the preshow and ballad in particular are what I am thinking of.

To my knowledge, Crossmen have not performed right next to BS or BK this season. Thursday will be the first time they go head to head. This could make all the difference in the world and I am SO hopeful they can make it to finals.

• Like 2

Again....I am going strictly on my eyes and ears Saturday night. I don't have a music degree...but I have seen and heard A LOT of drum corps (and mb as well) through the years................... A LOT !!!

I was only referring to 'technical' as well...not design. I just felt that (outside of BK's Dline), Glassmen and especially crossmen performed better in brass and marching. These corps went on back-to-back-to-back...easy to compare. Someone mentioned BK made a lot of changes....that kind of makes sense.

just one person....with an opinion.....no need to get crazy... :smile:

the problem there is you can't only look at technical and not design. yeah Crossmen and glassmen may or may not be outplaying BK, but BK has a much better designed show and that alone will keep them ahead of those two corps.

• Like 2

;) Bingo....

the problem there is you can't only look at technical and not design. yeah Crossmen and glassmen may or may not be outplaying BK, but BK has a much better designed show and that alone will keep them ahead of those two corps.

By the by BK may not win the world title on the field, but from what I hear your friend Doug wins it hands down in the food truck!!! Heard his cooking has been out if this world for them this summer...:)

• Like 1

Not as much super fast marching, but I think Boston is definitely up there in field-coverage (along with BK and BD) - the preshow and ballad in particular are what I am thinking of.

Very effective and I also think the end of the closer for Boston is my top three drill finishes along with Crown and BK!!:) No argument here... Love BAC this year hope they're 7th when dust settles!!

Very effective and I also think the end of the closer for Boston is my top three drill finishes along with Crown and BK!!:) No argument here... Love BAC this year hope they're 7th when dust settles!!

We've had ties before. I don't like ties for 1st place at all, but I could make an exception this year to see 2 Corps tied for 12th, and both get into the Finals. Like most years, there is always going to be 1 or 2 Corps that are good enough to make finals, but just miss out for one reason or another. Sometimes its just the luck of the judging pool in the Semi's, more than anything else.

• Like 1

By the by BK may not win the world title on the field, but from what I hear your friend Doug wins it hands down in the food truck!!! Heard his cooking has been out if this world for them this summer...:)

Yeah Doug's a good guy. Glad the corps is enjoying his food. A well fed corps is always a good thing.

And....IMO...therein lies the rub

WAY to much emphasis on 'design' (Subjective areas). The members are paying (in every regard) the ultimate sacrifice and therefor the scoring should focus about 80% on the technical achievement......and the subjective captions (ge) should account for 20%

(I realize this is a whole separate discussion/can of worms)

• Like 1

And....IMO...therein lies the rub

WAY to much emphasis on 'design' (Subjective areas). The members are paying (in every regard) the ultimate sacrifice and therefor the scoring should focus about 80% on the technical achievement......and the subjective captions (ge) should account for 20%

(I realize this is a whole separate discussion/can of worms)

tech achievement captions are just as subjective....remember the tic system?