2013 Predictions

Here are my newest predictions based on everything we've heard, program wise ... plus what I've actually heard.

1. Carolina Crown - This has been overdue for YEARS! 2009 and 2012 should've been Crown victories, but, just like when i posted this earlier, I won't rehash any of that here. Carolina Crown have been fan favorites since 2007 and it's high time the scores reflect this. I believe that Crown will build on the growth in the percussion and visual sections this year and finally get their first Championship, that should be their third. Plus I see Crown going on a West Coast tour and seeing Blue Devils early on in the season as something that will really help them get to the top. Now, based on what I've heard with my own ears ... I have to say that I definitely still feel like this will happen. This corps sounds better for it being April than I think they ever have. They've had the best attendance at camps than I think they've had in a while as well. Also, the drumline sounds tighter than normal for April. They've not had great vet retention on the line, but the people they have offered spots to sound incredibly good. Plus, look at Cadets last year (I believe). They had an all rookie snare line, but they were still fantastic. I remember seeing posts from Hop on Facebook where he was raving about how proud he was of their Snares. Anyway, the music I heard at the camp sounds incredible. This show is going to be nothing like what most people expect from Crown, but still uniquely Crown in every single way.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard - Another underscored corps, I still really believe that Santa Clara will build on what they did last year and finally medal again. I wanted them to medal this year and in 2009, but obviously that didn't happen. I really feel that, no matter what the scores reflect, Santa Clara is the Best of the West! Hopefully, this year, they'll finally be back in the Top 3 again. Plus, with the raving I've heard coming from the camps, Santa Clara is going to come out HOT this season. And, soon, Santa Clara will win another Championship. It's high-time the BEST of the West gets another medal!

3. The Cadets - Honestly, just from hearing what they're doing musically and concept wise, I'm ready to hype the 2013 Cadets. I know some people have not really liked them lately, with 2011 being the obvious exception, but this show just screams Top 3 just from what we've been told about the design. Now, the show title changed to "Side X Side" and the concept itself may have changed as well. Still -- with the music that they are using and the reports I've heard from camps, I really believe they will medal this year.

4 or 5. Phantom Regiment - Phantom Regiment is such a strong corps. With the exception of 2009, they've really been a powerhouse since at least 2001 and especially since 2007. I don't see them slipping any lower than fourth. It really just depends on BD, in my opinion.

4 or 5. Blue Devils - I know I'll get blasted for this, but it could happen. It has happened. They've been in 5th before (1991) and they've been in 4th many times. What I see happening is that the four corps listed above will come out stronger than normal and will top Blue Devils by the end of the season. IF this does happen, it will be CLOSE like it was in 1980. Also, I think the show concept has a better chance of playing with non-BD homers and bandos who just love anything BD does. I'm not trying to be confrontational -- I just know that most people did not get last year's show and, those that did, were mostly either BD homers or bandos who just love anything BD does. I think this new show concept is nowhere near as "out-there" as "Cabaret Voltaire" was. Therefore, I can definitely feel good putting them here. I know they won't be lower than fifth, but with the strengths of the other corps, I do not see them being higher than fourth unless one of my Top 3 just can't deliver like I feel they will.

6. Bluecoats - Bluecoats are always a strong corps and always a fan favorite. I am excited about the show they are putting out this season. The YouTube announcement has be very intrigued. I just don't see Bluecoats being higher than sixth. And, if Madison comes out as hot as I hope they will, Bloo might just drop to 7th. IF that happens, it will be nailbitingly close, though.

7. Madison Scouts - Building on the successes of the past three seasons, I see Madison finally rising up in to the Top 8 -- a place they should've been last year. I'd love to see them higher, but that may be too much to hope for. They have an incredible staff and have had a fantastic talent level the past three seasons. They're definitely a corps to watch. If things keep up as they have, I see them medalling in either 2015 or 2016 ... 2017 at the latest. I'd love to see Madison win another Championship too, though! They have the staff and, I'm sure, the talent to pull this off.

8, 9 or 10. Crossmen - Another corps building on their successes. Crossmen had a fantastic year this year and, deservedly, made it into Finals again. If they can keep this up, I see only good things for them in the future. This may be a little too much to hope for, but I've heard that the talent recruited did go up this year, as I knew it would. All reports coming from Crossmen camps seems to point that they are the most solid they've been in a LONG time.

8, 9 or 10. Spirit of Atlanta - That being said, I see Spirit of Atlanta rising as well. I thought they should've been higher this year, but that's just how I felt. They've been doing so well lately and I just want to see them rise in the rankings. It's just hard to say who I want to be where, like I just said, between Spirit of Atlanta and Crossmen.

8, 9 or 10. Boston Crusaders - The only reason I put Boston here is because I want to see Madison, Crossmen and go up in the rankings -- which means Boston would have to come down. They are an incredible corps and I love their shows every year. But, Boston is always a strong corps. They will ONLY be this low IF Crossmen AND Spirit can truly bring it this year. And, as with others, IF that happens, it will be nailbitingly close. We're talking close like Crown, Bloo and SCV in 2007 if not closer.

11. The Cavaliers - This hasn't changed from before, so I'll just leave what I said before here. I really think that their problems last year with their show design and performance will haunt them again this year and they will actually drop lower. Until they can recapture what they were in 2000-2004, I don't see them getting back to the top again -- nor do I honestly want them to. This is nothing against the performers. It's just that I can't stand the way their shows have been designed from 2005 to present, with the exception of 2008. The shows they presented during those years, with the exception of 2008 as I said, seemed too mechanical, never had any heart and had way too much of an emphasis on the visual. Yes, I know this is a visual activity, but you have to have a good balance of both. If they don't go back to their heyday in the early 2000's, I don't see them doing any better. I mean, the show concept is intriguing, but that's it.

12. Troopers - With the new staff appointments, I am already hyping Troopers 2013. They're going to be a beast this year! With everything I heard, I do think that they have a chance to make Finals again this year.

--

13. Blue Knights - They did well this year, and I like Blue Knights, but for what I want to see happen above them, I had to place them here. I'd love to see them lower, but only because there are corps I'm putting below them that I'd love to see higher ... but that is nothing against the corps. I DO love BK ... just have other things that I'd like to see happen that means they would have to be this low. Like, I just want to see those others recapture previous success and move up in the rankings. However, I don't think Blue Knights could realistically place any lower than 13th.

14. Blue Stars - However, if the Blue Stars are as good as I'm hearing, there will be a tight race for 12-14 between Blue Stars, Troopers and BK. I love the Blue Stars ... but, for me, if they don't go back to what they did in 2011 and do it better, they won't get back into Finals. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think their 2011 show was amazing! It was actually my second favorite show from the season. Period. I'd love to see them do something like that again, but improve on those areas that kept their show from being higher in the rankings.

15. Jersey Surf - This is one of the most out there moves of this list, but I do think it could happen. Jersey Surf had a fantastic program in 2012 and I think that's going to lead to a huge jump in membership interest and talent. That being said, if they can keep with that kind of show and do it just as well, if not better, with more talent I do see them moving up to 15th or somewhere around here. Fun like what they presented last year is something that is missing from Drum Corps. If Jersey Surf makes this their identity within DCI, they WILL attract new members and more talent and rise through the rankings. If they can keep it up ... I see them making it into Finals in 2015 ... maybe even 2014, but that's probably a long shot.

16. The Academy - Just because of where I placed corps above them. But, they will place much higher in brass.

17. Oregon Crusaders - I always hope that a new World Class Corps will do well in their first season. I wanted Teal to place 15th or higher in their first season. But, considering where Oregon Crusaders placed at Prelims and Semis last year, this seems VERY possible. Being a World Class corps now, I think it's likely they will see an increase in membership and talent level, so I see this as highly possible.

18. Pacific Crest - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

19. Colts - Just because of where I placed corps above them. I know this is probably a long shot that they will be this low, but I have other things that I'd like to see happen. Honestly, while they always perform well, I just never really like their show concepts or arrangements. Nothing against the kids, though.

20. Mandarins - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

21. Cascades - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

22. Pioneer - Just because of where I placed corps above them.

As I said, this is just pretty much what I want to see happen, within the constraints of being as realistic as possible. Honestly, if I wasn't trying to be realistic, the Top 12 would look more like this:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Madison Scouts

4. The Cadets

5. Blue Devils

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Bluecoats

8. Crossmen

9. Spirit of Atlanta

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Blue Stars

12. Troopers

13. Blue Knights

14. Cavaliers

15. Jersey Surf

16. Oregon Crusaders

17. The Academy

18. Pacific Crest

19. Colts

20. Mandarins

21. Cascades

22. Pioneer

I know ... incredibly unrealistic. Those are just the corps I'd love to see in the Top 12. I know there's absolutely no way it would ever happen that all 12 of these would be in the Top 12 at the same time, though.

Edited by KakkoiiOtaku
  • Like 5

Nice gesture to put some of your reasons behind your predictions. Its was an interesting read, imo. ( as an aside, Glassmen will not be fielding a Corps for DCI competition this year )

Edited by BRASSO

Definitely an interesting read. Good for you for having the stones to make such bold predictions. We can dream, right?

• Like 1

Nice gesture to put some of your reasons behind your predictions. Its was an interesting read, imo. ( as an aside, Glassmen will not be fielding a Corps for DCI competition this year )

I remember that now. What I did was I copied my original post from before Glassmen said they would not be fielding a corps and forgot to take them out as I was making my massive edits. I will go take care of that now.

• Like 1

Reliable sources tell me Troop is fielding their largest corps ever this year.

4 or 5. Blue Devils - I know I'll get blasted for this, but it could happen. It has happened. They've been in 5th before (1991) and they've been in 4th many times. What I see happening is that the four corps listed above will come out stronger than normal and will top Blue Devils by the end of the season. IF this does happen, it will be CLOSE like it was in 1980. Also, I think the show concept has a better chance of playing with non-BD homers and bandos who just love anything BD does. I'm not trying to be confrontational -- I just know that most people did not get last year's show and, those that did, were mostly either BD homers or bandos who just love anything BD does. I think this new show concept is nowhere near as "out-there" as "Cabaret Voltaire" was. Therefore, I can definitely feel good putting them here. I know they won't be lower than fifth, but with the strengths of the other corps, I do not see them being higher than fourth unless one of my Top 3 just can't deliver like I feel they will.

1. Carolina Crown

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Madison Scouts

4. The Cadets

5. Blue Devils

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Bluecoats

8. Crossmen

9. Spirit of Atlanta

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Blue Stars

12. Troopers

1bcyu.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

• Like 3

1. Carolina Crown - This has been overdue for YEARS! 2009 and 2012 should've been Crown victories,

Just... no.

but, just like when i posted this earlier, I won't rehash any of that here.

You just did?

Carolina Crown have been fan favorites since 2007 and it's high time the scores reflect this.

If "fan favorites" affected scores, Jersey Surf would have won by five points.

Look, I think Crown will win this year if they get even close to being clean, but my reasons for believing this are much more grounded in a bit of conspiracy theory. My point is that I just can't understand the (common) assertion that Crown should have won in 2012. It literally causes my brain to short circuit.

Anyway, good luck to all corps this summer.

And yeah, BD in fifth place is like Alabama losing to Southwest Idaho State Community College. Just not going to happen.

• Like 4

1. CADETS

2. BLUE DEVILS

3. CROWN

4. SCV

5. CAVALIERS

6. PHANTOM

7. BOSTON

8. BLUECOATS

9. MADISON

10.BLUE KNIGHTS

11.CROSSMEN

12.SPIRIT

disclosure:

Heard music from Cadets last camp. Captions extremely solid and music great fit for them.

BD and Crown consistently solid last few years.

SCV has been beefing up staff for the past few years.

Cavaliers tweaking visual design from last year's lessons.

Thats all I have for now.

This is what I would say. Maybe Madison move up 1 but I'd say that this is basically what my prediction is / what I'm hoping for this year.

Edited by bassdj

There's no way Blue Devils will end up 5th, but IF that happened that would increase the chances of the fabled "Blue Flush". That would be with all the "Blue" corps finishing adjacent to each other.

4. Bluecoats

5. Blue Devils

6. Blue Knights

7. Blue Stars

What are the chances of the Blue corps each finishing 2 spots away from each other? Say, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th? Those are better odds.

That's what I'm betting on this season. A 2 placement Blue Flush.