Another open letter to DCI.

If you don't enjoy the direction DCI has taken creatively or programming-wise, then far be it from me to argue. But I think it presumptuous of you to assume that your experience has been truer to the spirit of the activity than that of the folks marching in the championship level corps, and to imply (rather clearly, despite your no-disrespect-intended disclaimer) that their motivation in marching is somehow tainted, that they are in it just to win-a-ring-and-who-cares-about-the-audience? Just like you, they have worked hard, endured the rigors of the tour and pursued a common goal with a sense of purpose and level of intensity that will surely bond them to their fellow corps members for the rest of their lives. What makes your experience more valid, holier, than theirs?

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 8

and ............. now it's getting ugly.

Certain corps make no bones about the fact that they are there to win and that's their only purpose. They've been vocal and public about it. Are their wins tainted because that's their goal ... nah. They won .. so what? Another year is just around the corner ... and at some point, their approach in show design will either be embraced or rejected ... in which case they'll change. If it's continued to be embraced .. then they won't change .. and more and more people will lose interest in DCI .... lots of money going with them.

That's all the OP is saying.

• Like 3

and ............. now it's getting ugly.

Certain corps make no bones about the fact that they are there to win and that's their only purpose.

I don't believe that's accurate. Playing to win is important, it's an important step in the journey towards being the absolute best. Winning rocks. Make no mistake about that. But without loosing there is no winning. The Blue Devils understand that better than most. For all of the World Championship trophies, they've had more heartbreaking losses than any other corps too. It's all part of the game.

And don't think for one second that not winning is the same as failure. It's not...especially at BD.

• Like 1

I am personally bothered that often we no longer have right and wrong in shows, we have interpretive design that can reach perfect scores without any way to compare it to regimented routines and design aspects of the past. We have endless free motion that can't possibly be judged objectively.

I can't remember any moments this year where the abstraction we saw utilized in the Blue Devils drew a crowd response of any sort. If this is the way the activity is heading, that's fine. Just don't expect paying customers to stick around for long.

Interesting, n'est-ce pas, that we've had two shows in five seasons (2008 and 2012) that incorporate essentially the exact abstract visual 'design' you speak of from the same corps?

I'm sure I'll get a beating for saying this, but it sure seems like a lot of people care more about their own personal gratification when it comes to drum corps than what should be the primary focus of DCI (making sure the participants have a great experience). If you aren't entertained, then so be it. You are free to complain and boycott DCI if you want to. Just remember that it is more than just the "designers" that are impacted by you leaving. There is a lot more going on here than just "entertaining the fans".

The thing missing from this argument is that these shows they are putting on aren't cheap. Carting those vehicles thousands of miles across the country costs a fortune.

Where does this money come from? It comes from people buying tickets, T-shirts and donating money. To pursue show designs that don't acknowledge that is foolish. Nobody is putting a gun to these show designers' heads saying, "produce a show that doesn't entertain the audience." The stuff they come up with is a choice. These talented designers and talented performers could just as well have a great experience performing shows people jump on their feet for as shows that make people scratch their heads. The top performers themselves also have the choice to join any corps they want.

The difference is that when you entertain people, they want to come again. They want to give you money.

I was talking to a volunteer who just got off tour with the Jersey Surf. Those performers had a great time this season. They had just as great a season as any high-ranking corps this year. Who knows. They may have even enjoyed themselves more.

Life and hard work has put me in the position to donate money to drum corps organizations. This post-season, I'm giving money to the Surf and I'm giving money to the corps I marched in. They entertained me. From what I'm told, both had members who had a "great experience" this season.

That may upset some people with the mindset above, but welcome to the real world. It may seem cool to be intellectual and cutting edge, but those are the artists that usually die broke.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 5

Let me first say, I do agree with the general idea that DCI has gotten away from its roots. I will link that to synthesizers and electronics primarily. Unlike G v. B-flat horns or other old v. new debates, synthesizers fundamentally altered the key definition of drum and bugle corps. I have railed and railed against electronics since 2005 and especially since 2009 when the synthesizers arrived. About three years ago, I too contemplated whether I would continue going to DCI shows. I watched my first broadcast on PBS in 1987 and have gone to at least one show annually every year except one since 1989. That includes six world championships and other "travel" shows where I have wrapped a vacation around travelling to DCI shows. I am a pretty intense fan who never marched. Where I will disagree is the state of drum corps currently. These last two years have restored my faith in the activity. I still hate the electronics and think the one, best thing we could do for DCI is simply pull the plug. But this year I made my peace that the pre-2005 style of drum corps is likely never coming back (though there could eventually be a "DCI Unplugged" backlash, but I am not holding my breath). What was great in 1986 or 1995 is great on a higher unattainable plane post-2004. However, "modern" drum corps can be great in and of itself. And I think we have seen that the last two years. I think hiring Michael Cesario to oversee this focus on entertainment has been a phenomenal success. I just returned from Finals and I also attended DCI Minnesota and DCI Atlanta this year. This season had the most enjoyable shows in a very, very long time. In Minneosta, I said there were two unentertaining shows - by last night, I said there was only one. More on that in a moment. Bottomline, though 2011-2012 pales compared to the 1980s and 1990s drum corps, I consider these two years to be the best in 10-15 years.

Where I have to seriously disagree with you is with the Blue Devils. I will preface this by noting, I am a die-hard BD fan. I have loved them since the first time I saw them on that PBS broadcast in 1987. I am not going to tell you I have loved every one of their shows. I consider most of their shows from 1994 and later to be largely unmemorable or distinctive in my mind, though I tended to enjoy most of them over other shows in any given year. When I heard their family day recording for this season, I was appalled at the "yapping French guy" who distracted from what I even then thought was a pretty solid musical book. I really, really hated the narration. My opinion did not change when I saw them rehearse the day of DCI Minnesota or that night at UM. Before scores were announced that evening, I tweeted that, though I love BD and hoped they won, I would have a hard time defending them placing ahead of Crown or Cadets. I was honestly shocked but mildly pleased that they won DCI Minnesota, but I had a forboding thought that if they win with that show over all the other fantastic shows, what does that portend for the future of DCI? Would that get us off this track of improved shows? Unlike recent years, I did not rush to buy and download the recording from San Antonio. I was solidly behind my Devs, but was really underwhelmed. I went to their rehearsal the day of DCI Atlanta with a friend who marched with them in 1986. Our views, both tending toward old school, were pretty much in line - what in the world is up with this show design? What happened after that I cannot fully explain.

I had a seat in the upper deck of the Georgia Dome that night and it was the first time I had seen "Cabaret Voltaire" from up high. Something clicked that night and, while I cannot say I grasped all the artistic mumbo-jumbo (I am an engineer and finance professional by training..I don't "do" art! ;) ), the show clicked as far as the music, the intensity, the drill and the overall production concept. From that moment, I was gaga over Dada. I have come to love this show. I finally fell into the flow of the music and appreciated that there was far more of BD's signature jazz in this show than in many shows 10 years or so ago. I even came to find some of the "French jabbering," when paired with the opener soprano (sorry...as I said old school...I hate admitting they are trumpets now!) and flugel solos was hauntingly beautiful. Crown had a fine show. Unlike last year, I really enjoyed Crown's show and could have lived with it had it beaten BD. But it did not win because it was not better. This was apparent from up high in Lucas Oil Stadium last night. Their drill was not as crisp as BD and at times, while innovative and impressive, was cluttered. A friend felt their drums where much dirtier than BD, a fact reflected by the drum scores. Though they won high brass, and while I appreciate playing loud, slow and in control is not easy, I personally found their brass book to lack some of the difficultly of BD's. BD's brass in the encore was sizzling and while I am sure they let loose at that point and while I don't argue that Crown had excellent brass, again born out by the scores, their gap over BD in horns was not as large as BD's gap in drums. Even to my friend who is not biased toward BD like I am and had not been to a show this year and loathed the "French dude," he admitted that BD was better and deserved to win.

I am not going to tell you what should and should not entertain you. It is highly unlikely that you are going to like every show when you see it or maybe ever. When I saw Star in 1993, I hated that show. But later, I came to realize that was a show ahead of its time and I have come to really enjoy it. If you don't like 2012 (or 2011, or...) Blue Devils that is fine. And you may never like it. I said earlier, I thought there were two unentertaining shows in Minnesota but I had come down to one by last night. It should be apparent that the one I removed from that list was the Blue Devils. The other show I found tedious, completely "uncorpslike" with an excessive reliance on extremely edgy and annoying electronics that were far more offensive even than the "French dude" was the Cavaliers. In fact, I knew from when I saw Cavies back in Minnepolis, that was my bathroom break corps this year. I had already planned last night to head out to not have to see Cavies and stay out for the intermission. (I actually wound up heading out to hear Devs do Space Chords last night in the park and I was very glad I did...it was ELECTRIC!). Obviously, Cavies get a ton of love from people. Personally, I don't get it and I have not gotten it in a very long time. To me, they are the worst offenders in the area of electronics and their show designs simply don't typically connect with me. While I may not like Cavies and can give you lots of reasons along the lines that you have for BD this year why I don't, I am not going to drop the activity because of one show that I don't like. You can do as you wish. I realize "Cabaret Voltaire" was not the fan favorite. When I was in the theater Thursday, I heard some boos on the rundown of upcoming corps that you mentioned. While most corps received applause in the theater, I was the only one applauding - loudly! :) - for BD. Last night, Crown got a big ovation, but plenty of people - more than I expected honestly - applauded BD. My point is - don't assume that because you don't like the Blue Devils show, that no one does.

As for whether DCI should be about competition, to each his own, but I love competition. I realized last night, I could not fully enjoy Crown's show because they were the threat to BD's fifteenth title and I was really nervous they could pull off the upset. That got me to thinking about would I keep coming to drum corps shows if there was no the competitve element. I have heard George Hopkins talk about how he dislikes it being competitive (though Cadets do try to win so go figure). Yes, there have been times when BD has not blown me away, but, in the spirit of competition, I have been intensely into the season and their show. Basically, I am not sure I would keep coming if it were just exhibitions, especially given that in this modern age of drum corps, so few shows can blow me away like they did in the 80s and 90s. When I saw Madison in Minneapolis, that was the first time, in a very long time, I had a "throwing babies" moment. Both during Malagueña and the final company front, I was on my feet, both arms thrust in the air, cheering. Almost no show, even BD, has had that effect on my in probably nearly 20 years. Given that, without the competitive angle, I don't see any point in continuing to spend the time and money to attend shows, barring a return to the style that made DCI unique and very distinct from being merely a "BOA on a much higher level."

All I can say is, today, while I am sure I am in the vast minority of the DCI fan base, I am thrilled to death that the Blue Devils are the 2012 DCI Champions and I thoroughly enjoyed the show that won. DADA!

• Like 3

theres that " MOST PEOPLE " thing again :rolleyes::tongue:

And he would be correct in saying that unless you can prove otherwise. :lookaround::devil: