Staff changes

Tommy Keenum was responsible for those great Sky Ryders shows of the 80s; Wizard of Oz and West Side Story. He has also worked with Cadets, Pride of Cincinnati Winter Guard and Final Analysis WG. He is known for thought provoking and really emotional shows.

With JC, Tommy and Tim Pierce, I expect an incredible guard and some amazing story telling.

I liked the fact that BK's Avian was a story on the field and if they continue this kind of show, It'll be a good thing to me.

• Like 3

I totally agree on the approach BK took last year. Loved their show. One of my personal favorites of this century.

Two things came to mind when first viewing "Avian."

I thought that the show had the potential to be a staff-changer - something that different producing such polarizing opinions could either solidify a staff or result in major changes post-season.

The second thing that came to mind was that the show reminded me of the '82 Garfield Cadets - so different, yet so interesting.

I loved "Avian" and hope that it's off-the-chart effects end up being pursued by another corps.

Edited by LincolnV

Two things came to mind when first viewing "Avian."

I thought that the show had the potential to be a staff-changer - something that different producing such polarizing opinions could either solidify a staff or result in major changes post-season.

The second thing that came to mind was that the show reminded me of the '82 Garfield Cadets - so different, yet so interesting.

I loved "Avian" and hope that it's off-the-chart effects end up being pursued by another corps.

It's interesting that you mention it as a potential "staff-changer," because I thought it was the most "BK" show that BK had designed under Marc Sylvester. In fact, I just assumed that the change in program direction was due to some other factor (e.g., maybe personality), not the design of the 2012 show.

I liked the fact that BK's Avian was a story on the field and if they continue this kind of show, It'll be a good thing to me.

I really hope for BK's sake that they return to the path that looked to be so much more promising for them. They seemed to be on the right track too. Their scores were coming up, and their shows seemed to be more appealing the last few years. But then they mysteriously took a step back in production this year. And not just with the fans either, but with the judges as well. I enjoyed their 2011 show " English Folk Song Suite " so much better than this past season's " Avian " program that I really thought was a step backwards for them in audience appeal. The judges seemed to agree that this BK edition was not as strong as the 2011 BK edition too, as their scores dropped and they dropped a placement as well. And from the replacements on the staff, it appears the Corps Director and Board believe that changes are needed to get back on track.. So I'm optimistic that BK will find a way get back soon. I hope they come out in 2013 with a show audiences will love, and that judges will reward for their efforts as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

2011 was really good, but I liked 2012 much better. From the atmosphere of the opener to the reveal of the plume and beyond, I thought it was just great. Plus I like Stravinsky. The move from dark to light was really intriguing. And it didn't look and sound like most everything else this year. Whoever thought this up, thank you!

Save for a few shows, this year was kind of a homogenous letdown. BK, BD, Cadets, Cavies and Crown (musically) stood out for me, though (shout out to Blue Stars, too; I find that show really soothing for some reason. I really like it)

• Like 2

I will not comment on Sully being let go and why, just sufficed to say he did great things in a four year span and it's time to move on. Brandy Dubose being the guard caption is AMAZING!!!! Way to go BK... I taught with her on the same staff in my first teaching gig 12 years ago. I loved her work then and what she did at SCV and Academy. Also so excited April Gilligan is going to be at BK again this year... Amazing guards are gonna be the norm in Denver!!

JC is the next big time drill writer we're gonna see in the activity! He was marvelous for Oregon Crusaders and I have a feeling we are gonna see some great innovative, creative drill moving forward. He's also an amazing choreographer, what I liked most about BK 2012 visually was the mix of old BK with new.... In JC they will gave an amazing young mind at their disposal! Great Hires by BK! Glad to see both Jay Bocook and Ralph Hardimon back along with Brian Stevens.... BK just might have another top 3 Drumline soon. The brass staff stayed in tact which is also phenomenal... The corps bring back Jed Weeks is also a huge plus! Very excited for the mix of new and old at BK! gonna be a GREAT TEAM!!!!

• Like 1

Save for a few shows, this year was kind of a homogenous letdown. BK, BD, Cadets, Cavies and Crown (musically) stood out for me, though (shout out to Blue Stars, too; I find that show really soothing for some reason. I really like it)

I thought Jersey Surf's show this year was just what the doctored ordered in DCI. I thought they had the most unique show out there for 2012 of all the World Class Division Corps. Crowds, both young and ond old alike, seemed to really respond well to their show. It was comedic relief at its best. DCI has really misssed the element of comedic relief since the Bridgemen and the Velvet Knights left DCI competition, and Jersey Surf's show this year really reminded many of us how much we miss that comedic relief element in the activity. Comedy is every bit the needed and legitimate human emotion as is irony, angst, redemption, wonder, nonsense, sacrifice, intellectualism, darkness, spirituality, curiosity, justice, etc that for over a decade DCI Corps themes have evoked in our emotions.

Edited by BRASSO

BK just might have another top 3 Drumline soon. !!

Huh? Was I sleeping? When were they a top three drumline?

• Like 1